hollowing out the 3rd cat

Hoist the truck by the frame to allow the suspension to drop. Remove the clamp from your third cat. Pop the rubber exhaust hangers loose with spray lube and large screwdriver. Pull the entire cat-back factory exhaust forward and down while giving it a 1/4 twist. Use a long masonery bit and large screwdriver to gut the 3rd cat. You might want to use a respirator or at least a dust mask. Install the cat-back system of your choice. Enjoy !

012_zps6e20470e.jpg

017_zpsf28c1668.jpg

018_zps7d06d29a.jpg

019_zps47dc882c.jpg

021_zps82901bfa.jpg

028_zps41f036ab.jpg

This is epic!!! I'm still in CA and can't wait to move back to Texas.

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

forgive my ignorance but do you need a programmer/tuner for a cat delete? I have a stock 2016 6.2. I am getting a muffler delete done. That would be next

EDITED  After reading this entire thread again I now see that the 3rd cat is not monitored.

Edited by IndyRob K.
i'm stupid

• 1 month later...

I gutted the third CAT a few months ago during the summer. I had already deleted the muffler (and flapper valve) and installed some BBK Short tube headers. The exhaust sounds awesome IMO - not too loud and has just enough growl to sound good. I left the resonator on the stock exhaust for the time being. I run a custom tune using a SCT X4 tuner. I have not had any issues with throwing codes or service indicators on the dash. Running the 5.3 L83 in this truck. Next mod will be swapping the stock intake and TB for the 6.2L L86 intake and throttle body. Truck runs great and definitely has more "get up and go" then before, the tune alone made a huge difference.