2015 YUKON NOISE IN CABIN

Someone posted this today from another forum. It is EXACTLY what this thread is about!

"There is a fix for this now.

#PIT5318B: Wind Buffeting Drone Type Noise And/Or Body Pressure Booming And/Or Water Leak - (Jul 30, 2015)
Subject: Wind Buffeting Drone Type Noise And/Or Body Pressure Booming And/Or Water Leak

Models: 2015 Cadillac Escalade Models
2015 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2015 GMC Yukon Models

This PI was superseded to update Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIT5318A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Note: In some cases, correcting the roof bows may not eliminate the body pressure booming issue due to the fact that the roof is being excited by some other input(s). These other areas will need to be addressed if the body pressure booming is still present at the completion of this PI. Examples of inputs that can excite the roof may be:

Tires with excessive road force (Reference "condition 1" in the latest version of PI1354)
Exhaust back pressure valve issues (Reference the latest version of PIT5404)
Rear axle related issues such as pitchline runout (Reference "Other Sources of Vibrations" Step 3 in the latest version of PI1354)

Some owners may comment of a wind buffeting/droan noise or body/pressure booming (the feeling of pressure in the ears) while driving. The body booming issue may be more noticeable when the engine is in V4 mode for active fuel management (AFM). In some cases, they may also notice a water leak from the headliner area, if equipped with a sunroof.

These concerns could be caused by the roof sheet metal no longer being attached fully to the roof bows (1). On trucks with a sunroof, it may be noticed that the rear edge of the sunroof glass is considerably lower than the roof (2). This is due to the roof sheet metal being detached from the roof bow directly behind the sunroof opening (3).
Object ID: 3973291Click here for detailed picture of the image.

Object ID: 3973293Click here for detailed picture of the image.

Object ID: 3973294Click here for detailed picture of the image.

Recommendation/Instructions

To correct this concern, apply panel vibration control material between the roof bow and roof sheet metal, along with foam shim material when necessary.

Remove the headliner to access the underside of the roof. Inspect all 4 roof bows for insufficient bonding to the roof sheet metal (4). Any roof bow that is not bonded to the sheet metal will need to be repaired.
Object ID: 3973295Click here for detailed picture of the image.

Use the following repair for all 4 bows on trucks without a sunroof, and for the 3 rear bows on trucks with a sunroof:

Use a plastic scraper or similar tool to remove the old foam. Measure the gap between the top of the roof bow and bottom of the roof sheet metal. If the gap is 1/4" (6mm) or greater, use a combination of 3/4" wide by 5/16" or 7/16" thick foam shim material (as listed below) to fill the gap between the roof bow and the sheet metal. Care should be taken to add only the correct thickness of foam to fill the gap so it does not push up on the roof. Cut the foam into 5 inch lengths and evenly place in five spots along the roof bow. With the foam shim material in place, or if the gap is less than 1/4" (6mm), use the panel control vibration material (as listed below) to fill the voids between the roof bow and sheet metal. In some cases, it may take a couple layers of material to fill the void.

Repair for 1st bow on trucks with a sunroof:

Using a plastic scraper or similar tool, remove the old foam. Use the panel control vibration material (listed below) and apply along the top of the 1st roof bow. Obtain two 2x4 pieces of wood long enough to span the opening of the sunroof. Wrap one of the 2x4's with a cloth to protect the roof paint and place it on top of the roof, see NOTE below. Place the second 2x4 underneath the roof bow, sandwiching the roof sheet metal and roof bow between the two pieces of wood. Clamp everything together using three C-clamps as shown in the photo below (5 & 6). The clamps will need to stay in place until the panel control vibration material is dry.

Note: When placing the cloth wrapped 2x4 on the top/roof, pay close attention that it is far enough forward so that the 2x4's rear edge does not contact the roof's raised ribs. The roof ribs may be damaged/dented if the 2x4 is placed on them when clamped down
Object ID: 3973296Click here for detailed picture of the image.
{C}"

Yea, too bad we getting so many reports that Road Force balancing and rear differential replacements still don't eliminate the ear pressure noise in some cases. It is interesting to see GM acknowledging that the cabin is being excited by other things, which is exactly what many of us (myself included) have been saying on the forum for months and months. Unfortunately, GM is not addressing the real problem which is a cabin that is too easily excited. I still maintain it will be nearly impossible to eliminate all the excitation forces to achieve a quite ride. A motor vehicle is simply subjected to too many external factors, and as such, it will be difficult to achieve the ride we are looking for. It's kind of like a drum or guitar - they are designed to resonate and produce sounds. No matter how lightly you tap it, it will still make the sound it was designed to.

It's been a while since I've talked to my dealership but I'm thinking it's time to take it back for the latest on this bulletin. I will say I'm disappointed with my dealership from the perspective that they said they would call me when they got their Picoscope and/or anything from GM. That was 3 or 4 months ago and no communication. And since there is an update to the bulletin, they should have called me to honour what they said.

I wonder if the old saying "there's no honour among thieves" applies here? Lol!

I have read the entire thread . . . it was like a mystery novel and I am a little disappointed in the ending so far!

So, I have to ask, is this problem found in the 2016 models? I am thinking about turning in my 2001 Suburban for a 2016 . . . is the noise, vibration and pressure still an issue?

Thanks!

I have read the entire thread . . .

Kudos, way to go with being informed. I have not read if someone with a 2016 have commented on issues associated with this thread. The bad, if I was in your shoes I wouldn't buy a 2016 until the mid year model has hit the street, there should be enough time passed for issues to show-up. The good, GM has stop letting the dealers sink and issued PIT5318B and now should be addressing these issues at the factory versus the dealership. The logic of this is the 2016 models "may" not have the issues associated with the 2015 models.

The wife and I did go for a (albiet) short test drive today in a 2016 4WD LT. I turned down but not off the radio and A/C and I have to say this is a very nice car, especially compared to our tired 2002 LT with Autoride.

The car had about 30 miles on it and it drove nicely and was very quiet . . . no booming or pressure. However, if as the previous posts point out, if this is a rear end or carrier bearing issue the noise may not surface for several hundred or thousand miles.

I did not ask any questions about the problems discussed in this thread as the salesman looked to be about 12 years old and didn't even know the motor switched from 8 to 4 cylinders. Unbelievable who they have selling 60+k vehicles.

I will give it a bit more thought and since we want a special setup we will most likely order a car as opposed to taking one off a lot.

We live near San Francisco and have a ranch in Oregon, so the first round trip will put over 1200 miles on the car and give me 10 hours of driving each way to assess the car.

Expect a report back in about 2 months.

Thanks for all of the help!

Jim

ps: the noise many of you mentioned sounded very much like the pinion bearing on my '56 Willys Wagon as it began to fail except that was quiet on acceleration and booming on deceleration.

Yea, too bad we getting so many reports that Road Force balancing and rear differential replacements still don't eliminate the ear pressure noise in some cases. It is interesting to see GM acknowledging that the cabin is being excited by other things, which is exactly what many of us (myself included) have been saying on the forum for months and months. Unfortunately, GM is not addressing the real problem which is a cabin that is too easily excited. I still maintain it will be nearly impossible to eliminate all the excitation forces to achieve a quite ride. A motor vehicle is simply subjected to too many external factors, and as such, it will be difficult to achieve the ride we are looking for. It's kind of like a drum or guitar - they are designed to resonate and produce sounds. No matter how lightly you tap it, it will still make the sound it was designed to.

It's been a while since I've talked to my dealership but I'm thinking it's time to take it back for the latest on this bulletin. I will say I'm disappointed with my dealership from the perspective that they said they would call me when they got their Picoscope and/or anything from GM. That was 3 or 4 months ago and no communication. And since there is an update to the bulletin, they should have called me to honour what they said.

I wonder if the old saying "there's no honour among thieves" applies here? Lol!

I agree. My belief is that the booming is present on all of the trucks, but most people either don't notice or care. The booming doesn't bother my wife at all. To me, it's like nails on a chalkboard. The trucks with the so called "buffeting" issue are ones that have some additional force (other than the road) exciting the cabin. It seems GM may have narrowed that down to the rear end. The rear end bulletin may fix the buffeting, but it won't fix the booming. They are two separate issues.

I don't think GM can readily fix the booming issue as I believe it is a design flaw with these vehicles. The truck vibrating like a drum is a great analogy Wrench!

• Like 1

AS yukontruckman pointed out.....It's the "drumming" over the smallest of road bumps that drive me CRAZY! while my wife says she doesn't experience it all ??? So strange! Add a new radiator to the list of broken parts to our 2015i Essy. It burst at 15K. I am in disbelief at all the things that have broken, and the MONTH's these two 2015 GM SUV's have spent at our dealers service dept.

GM should truly be embarrassed ! This coming from a previous Chevrolet Sales manager!

Lemon law paperwork has been sent to GM. Not even sure if I would take a 2016 at this point ???????

AS yukontruckman pointed out.....It's the "drumming" over the smallest of road bumps that drive me CRAZY! while my wife says she doesn't experience it all ??? So strange! Add a new radiator to the list of broken parts to our 2015i Essy. It burst at 15K. I am in disbelief at all the things that have broken, and the MONTH's these two 2015 GM SUV's have spent at our dealers service dept.

GM should truly be embarrassed ! This coming from a previous Chevrolet Sales manager!

Lemon law paperwork has been sent to GM. Not even sure if I would take a 2016 at this point ???????

Brutal, man. It sounds like a real lemon after all of the issues. It "seems" like they are getting closer to getting it right. Having said that, I would not order/buy another one built this year. Let them run out of supplier inventory which has been used to produce the inferior ones. I MAY try again (insert appropriate insulting comment here)________, but it won't be until sometime in the coming year. Hope you get a resolution. Take them to task!

Brutal, man. It sounds like a real lemon after all of the issues. It "seems" like they are getting closer to getting it right. Having said that, I would not order/buy another one built this year. Let them run out of supplier inventory which has been used to produce the inferior ones. I MAY try again (insert appropriate insulting comment here)________, but it won't be until sometime in the coming year. Hope you get a resolution. Take them to task!

I only WISH another manufacture made a "like" vehicle ! We need the room and boat pulling abilities. The Infinity's interior is really really nice, but the exterior...Not so much. And never been a Datsun fanboy. Even though mom and dad had a few B210's. lol. Ford/Lincoln....way dated. Toyota Landcruiser or Sequoia, again way out dated. Rover..... That's not the answer for reliability ! And not that much of a Yuppie.

TOYOTA would Kill it if they redesigned the Landcruiser, sure wish they would ! You think they would look at GM's sales figures of all these new SUV's. Everywhere you look there's a new Yukon, Tahoe, or Essy here in So-Cal.

HAS ANYONE DRIVEN A 2016 YET ? Couple people on the Caddy forum have said their new 2016's ARE NOT making this noise/pressure ????? I need to go drive a new Yukon and Essy.

WHEN our 2015i ESSY goes away soon, and "IF" they have fixed this Booming sound problem. I think I'd go back to a SLT Yukon again. The Escalade's CUE system is just over complicated and a pain for the most basic of adjustments. The seats are ROCK HARD as the heat rests as well. The magnetic ride system is WAY TOO HARSH and overly firm. The most basic Tahoe or Yukon rides BETTER then a Escalade ???? What The ?? Overall the Escalade is not worth the 100K tariff in my opinion! Going back to a 55-60K family trickster, drive the wheels off it for 5 or 6 years just makes more financial sense to me. "IF" the Escalade was a True luxury SUV, it would be a different story.... but its NOT!

Jason, you are crazy. Third time is the charm? lol. If I were you I would be waiting to see the new 2017 Expy/Navigator. I certainly will be looking into one next fall.

I only WISH another manufacture made a "like" vehicle ! We need the room and boat pulling abilities. The Infinity's interior is really really nice, but the exterior...Not so much. And never been a Datsun fanboy. Even though mom and dad had a few B210's. lol. Ford/Lincoln....way dated. Toyota Landcruiser or Sequoia, again way out dated. Rover..... That's not the answer for reliability ! And not that much of a Yuppie.

TOYOTA would Kill it if they redesigned the Landcruiser, sure wish they would ! You think they would look at GM's sales figures of all these new SUV's. Everywhere you look there's a new Yukon, Tahoe, or Essy here in So-Cal.

HAS ANYONE DRIVEN A 2016 YET ? Couple people on the Caddy forum have said their new 2016's ARE NOT making this noise/pressure ????? I need to go drive a new Yukon and Essy.

WHEN our 2015i ESSY goes away soon, and "IF" they have fixed this Booming sound problem. I think I'd go back to a SLT Yukon again. The Escalade's CUE system is just over complicated and a pain for the most basic of adjustments. The seats are ROCK HARD as the heat rests as well. The magnetic ride system is WAY TOO HARSH and overly firm. The most basic Tahoe or Yukon rides BETTER then a Escalade ???? What The ?? Overall the Escalade is not worth the 100K tariff in my opinion! Going back to a 55-60K family trickster, drive the wheels off it for 5 or 6 years just makes more financial sense to me. "IF" the Escalade was a True luxury SUV, it would be a different story.... but its NOT!

I can't see there being any difference between the 2016 and the 2015. They literally stopped making the 2015's on a Friday (7/17) and started making 2016's on a Monday (7/20). If there was some magic supplier part problem they would have fixed the 2015's long ago.

I can't see there being any difference between the 2016 and the 2015. They literally stopped making the 2015's on a Friday (7/17) and started making 2016's on a Monday (7/20). If there was some magic supplier part problem they would have fixed the 2015's long ago.

Well, I guess it all depends on what the true root cause is, if GM has discovered it. If it's something like differential gears or bearings, or body mounts, or some other "part" that can be changed, it is entirely possible GM would change the build to coincide with the model year. May not make sense to logical people like us, but big manufacturing companies have many more drivers than what makes sense!

Jason, you are crazy. Third time is the charm? lol. If I were you I would be waiting to see the new 2017 Expy/Navigator. I certainly will be looking into one next fall.

Thank you for saying that! I am a fool...I really want to hate them. I just can't. If there was another large SUV which I liked, I would pull the trigger in a heartbeat. I will take a look at the ones you mentioned.

I look forward to seeing feedback from those of us who know what to look for in the 2016s...

We picked-up a 2016 Suburban Z71 last week and only have 250miles on it, but we are driving up to Tahoe over the long weekend and I will report back any anomalies.

After reading this thread, I was very hesitant to go ahead with the order. But as Tobtek correctly states, there are no alternatives. If we had only two sons, then we would have an LR4; but, we have three. Luckily (oddly?) enough our three land rover product purchases have been very very reliable.

No booming or other issues to report, and I am really looking out for all of the issues identified on the 2015's.

post-145890-0-81839200-1441303097_thumb.jpg

Edited by bgsntth