Question re: Bilstein 5100 Levelling Shocks

I have a 2014 Silverado Double Cab, Z71, and have been doing a lot of reading about levelling kits, and as the topic indicates, the Bilstein 5100 series, ride height adjustable shocks.

I know the 5100's are not yet available for the 2014's, but understand they will be either in late Sept. or Oct.

Anyway, I only want to level the truck, I have no intention of wanting more clearance for larger wheels/tires, I just want to take some of the "Rake" out of it. I have sort of decided that going the "Bilstein 5100" adjustable shock route is somewhat preferrable over that of just a levelling kit.

As I understand it, the 5100 adjustable shock has 4 positions of adjustability; Stock / +150mm (5/8") / +300mm (1 1/4" & +450mm (1 3/4"). I have measured my truck, and in reality show the rear to be sitting about 3" higher, thats measuring from the ground up to the bottom of the fender well. Is this the proper way to measure to obtain a reasonable representation of the trucks "Levellness"? (If there is such a word as Levellness)

My question is more for those that have gone the Bilstein route, I know it will have to be on models older than the 2014, but the end result should be similar:

1. I don't want to go to the "max" adjustment on the shocks, because I have read that you sacrifice ride quality, the higher you set the shock. What has been your experience? Is there that much of a difference, most seem to think the Bilsteins give a better ride than the "Stock" Rancho Shocks, so this may not be an issue.

2. If I only use the adjustment at the 1 1/4" setting, will I see enough of a height change? As I said, I'm looking to get some/most of the "Rake" out, but I'm not fanatical about ending up perfectly level. It just seems that a 1 1/4" adjustment wouldn't be enough since it appears I have a 3" difference to start with.

Unfortunately, once you tell your installer what setting to use, that's pretty much it. If you decide later you should have used a different setting, thats pretty much the whole job repeated, and you end up paying double.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.........I'm new at this "Levelling" stuff, have never done it before, and I'm a bit apprehensive as I have been told by a few "Automotive" types, that you should just leave the thing "Stock" because levelling leads to trouble down the road.

From what I have read here on this forum, there are plenty of folks here with a lot more experience in this regard than me, and I would really appreciate hearing from you.

REV

Edited by revitupfaster
  • Like 1

You could always put the front at 1.25" height on the Bilstein's, then swap out the block on the leafs to a 1" shorter block. That would bring the rear down to only 2" higher than the front, relative to stock. And then after adding the Bilstein's at 1.25" you would be close to 3/4" of rake from front to back.

I've never had Bilstein shocks, but I have heard nothing but good things. I would eventually like to swap in a set on my truck.

Spurshot......I see in your sig line that you have a 1 1/2" level kit. It's difficult to see from the angle, but how does the truck sit with just the 1 1/2" adjustment?

From the angle, it looks pretty good to me, so what I'm thinking is If the Bilstein shocks I'm considering give a fairly accurate 1 /1/4" lift on the second setting, that may be all I'm looking for.

I have these on my '09 SLT. Front and rear. When first installed I went with the second up from stock setting. To me this raised the front to much and even made the seating uncomfortable (front was higher than rear). I then had them changed to the first up from stock (5/8s I think) and that was perfect level. Got a lot of complements. Most thought it had a lift.

The truck, to me, drove/rode better too on the first up setting. After 65,000 miles, The truck has settled a little but still no front rake like from factory. Just one of those deals. If you do not like your first choice , yes it will cost to change.

Great shocks and worth the install. They should really take out the harshness I feel on my test drives of the '14s. The Bils are firm and controlled but not harsh/abrupt like the oems.

Edited by STex

I have these on my '09 SLT. Front and rear. When first installed I went with the second up from stock setting. To me this raised the front to much and even made the seating uncomfortable (front was higher than rear). I then had them changed to the first up from stock (5/8s I think) and that was perfect level. Got a lot of complements. Most thought it had a lift.

The truck, to me, drove/rode better too on the first up setting. After 65,000 miles, The truck has settled a little but still no front rake like from factory. Just one of those deals. If you do not like your first choice , yes it will cost to change.

Great shocks and worth the install. They should really take out the harshness I feel on my test drives of the '14s. The Bils are firm and controlled but not harsh/abrupt like the oems.

Wow!!! just the first step up from stock and your truck was level. Do you know what the height difference between the front and back was before you installed the shocks? I would think the difference in the stock set up would have been greater than the 5/8" you have your shocks set at.

That's whats bothering me........from what I have been reading, and in some pictures I have seen, even though I measure a 3" height difference, it seems setting the shocks at the supposed 1 1/4" mark, will in fact be enough, or in your case more than enough. I wouldn't think the factory "rake" would be all that much different between your '09, and the 14's.

Thanks a lot for your response, you now have me thinking that 1 1/4" should be plenty (Hopefully not too much)

REV

Edited by revitupfaster

The Bilsteins are out, I picked up mine a few weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-N900V

They don't have any out yet until October for the 2014 GMC/Silverado...What you have is for the 2013...Which bolts up to the 2014 but are not designed for it.

You can call Bilstein usa but I found the first up setting to level the truck. The 5/8 setting does not correlate to a 5/8" fender well lift. No big deal, if the setting you choose is not to your liking, change it. Any good independent shop should be able to do all four installed in an hour to 1 1/4 hour. Changing the setting should take half hour but they will probably charge you a full hour.

The main thing is you will enjoy the shocks.

Edited by STex

You can call Bilstein usa but I found the first up setting to level the truck. The 5/8 setting does not correlate to a 5/8" fender well lift. No big deal, if the setting you choose is not to your liking, change it. Any good independent shop should be able to do all four installed in an hour to 1 1/4 hour. Changing the setting should take half hour but they will probably charge you a full hour.

The main thing is you will enjoy the shocks.

Thanks for the response.........you hit it right on the head, "The 5/8" setting does not correlate to a 5/8" Fender well lift" .......I wish Bilstein would be more specific as to what (real world) lift you could expect at each of the settings.

I've read many responses regarding the Bilstein's and you are the first that has actually stated that the setting on the Bilstein does not equate to the fender lift you will achieve. It seems in a number of cases, guys were achieving a "Level" result and not having to go to the max settings. (which I was hoping to do)

And you're right, if I'm only doing the fronts, it shouldn't be that big a deal to have them change it at he time.

REV

They don't have any out yet until October for the 2014 GMC/Silverado...What you have is for the 2013...Which bolts up to the 2014 but are not designed for it.

I hope not!

I had ordered the Pro Comp Series from 4 wheel parts in April, got the rear quick. Waited forever onbtge fronts, then my buddy there told me the Bilsteins, beat them in. So I got those, and having them installed Wed. But I will calling my buddy 1st thing in the am to confirm part numbers... Thanks for the heads up!

TR

Sent from my SM-N900V

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with you 14'SilveradoLT, I've been chomping at the bit to get these things in and I didn't want to order the model for the '13s knowing that a new version was coming out. I called them a while back and they said end of summer or into fall so I was holding off to call them again.

When you talked to them, did they mention whether you can purchase them direct or do we need to find a dealer? Also, does the new shock have a part number yet?

Thanks for the response.........you hit it right on the head, "The 5/8" setting does not correlate to a 5/8" Fender well lift" .......I wish Bilstein would be more specific as to what (real world) lift you could expect at each of the settings.

I've read many responses regarding the Bilstein's and you are the first that has actually stated that the setting on the Bilstein does not equate to the fender lift you will achieve. It seems in a number of cases, guys were achieving a "Level" result and not having to go to the max settings. (which I was hoping to do)

And you're right, if I'm only doing the fronts, it shouldn't be that big a deal to have them change it at he time.

REV

The rough order of magnitude is 2:1 for the lift vs shock length. The problem is that Bilstein is simply compressing the spring by the amount the collar is raised.

Edited by spurshot