I have a 2003 2500HD Silverado...the 4 wheel drive won't engage. I do not have auto 4wd.

when I press the button to switch to 4wd, the light just blinks and then returns to a solid light on 2wd.

I can here a click after I press the button, but I cannot hear the shift motor running. My question is, is there a way to decipher whether my problem is the shift actuator, or the shift motor. I think it is the shift motor, but not sure

Thanks in advance any help is appreciated.

I went to the mechanic that works on the vehicles at work, I don't know what kind of scanner he used, he was baffled as well. He said it's possible that if there are no "dummy lights" or anything reading on the dic it won't store a code? I'm taking it tomorrow to an independent mechanic to run codes.

Can I swap the TCCM from my 2004 Suburban to my 2006 Sierra and see if that is my problem? Part numbers are the same, just wondering if programming or something else is different. No lights on switch and no 4WD. Have swapped switch already.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't start a new thread, maybe you are talking to kdeerman?

Anyhow, I finally got the truck re-scanned. No codes found, however, was able to test actuator and tested good through scan tool (snap on). I tested ohms on the selector switch....2H tested at 1680 ohms, 4H, 860, and 4L showed only one ohm. I'm thinking selector switch, what do you think Rob?

ok, tried new selector switch...no go. I'll be able to take it back for a refund. Narrows it down to two..shift motor or TCCM. I'm thinking if the TCCM is bad perhaps that is the reason it's not throwing codes?

Archived