Who likes or dislikes the 2014 Silverado side steps in the rear bumper

PMattras

I suppose I might like the bumper step if I had trouble climbing in the bed but it is ugly. I was looking at new trucks at the dealer while my 2011 was being serviced and I just can't like the looks of the step.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the step is ugly as sin but its a necessary evil since gm decided that would force a 4" lift on all of us 2wd owners weather we wanted it or not, if I want a truck I have to climb into and use a ladder to access the bed then I would have bought a damn 4wd

Seriously, if you're complaining about bumper steps you're not using your truck right. They are by far the most underrated feature on the truck! Five years ago Ford's poorly designed hideaway man step that took longer to set up than the time it saved was a huge deal! These steps are so discreet and unbelievably useful. Try getting into the bed of a new GM, now try any other truck, now do that 10 times in a row. You know it's a great design when you can't fully appreciate it until you don't have it anymore.

Seriously, if you're complaining about bumper steps you're not using your truck right. They are by far the most underrated feature on the truck! Five years ago Ford's poorly designed hideaway man step that took longer to set up than the time it saved was a huge deal! These steps are so discreet and unbelievably useful. Try getting into the bed of a new GM, now try any other truck, now do that 10 times in a row. You know it's a great design when you can't fully appreciate it until you don't have it anymore.

yes but it wouldn't be needed if GM hadn't raised the truck 4" back in 2007 and never corrected this design mistake that makes the step a necessity to get into the bed so they created the very problem the step was needed to solve but nothing can solve the problem of complete unaccessability to the bed from over the bed rails now that they are too high to get anything up and over them unless your 7ft something tall

yes but it wouldn't be needed if GM hadn't raised the truck 4" back in 2007 and never corrected this design mistake that makes the step a necessity to get into the bed so they created the very problem the step was needed to solve but nothing can solve the problem of complete unaccessability to the bed from over the bed rails now that they are too high to get anything up and over them unless your 7ft something tall

Exactly, with my father in laws gmt800 its not too bad getting in and out of the bed, but its still a decent leap. With our new trucks beds being that much higher its an absolute necessity and I can't imagine not having them. I honestly don't think they look bad either.

I would say buy a car then

I would say buy a car then

you really are a moron

a truck is a tool to be used to load and unload things from the bed from the rear as well as over the sides

why don't you go buy a monster truck if you like a truck you cant use to work out of

Exactly, with my father in laws gmt800 its not too bad getting in and out of the bed, but its still a decent leap. With our new trucks beds being that much higher its an absolute necessity and I can't imagine not having them. I honestly don't think they look bad either.

its not the looks that I object to, although chevys look more like fords then chevys now days, but its the loss of what trucks are "supposed" to be designed for that I object to

For those that have doubted what I post about the trailer hitch.

"There is a requirement as per section 73(4) of The Vehicle Equipment Regulations (Government of Saskatchewan - SGI) that prohibits a trailer hitch from extending beyond the bumper of the vehicle when the hitch is not in use."

For the people that said they could find any legislation or didn't believe what was said, you what helps even better then the old internet, asking the ones who actually issue the traffic codes. Quick email later - got the exact answer that I was already aware of.

Sounds like one of those "stupid" laws. What about the other 50 things you could have attached to your receiver, like a bike rack, carrier of some sort, wheelchair/scooter frame, etc.? Or a piece of lumber sticking 4' out of the back of the truck...

you really are a moron

a truck is a tool to be used to load and unload things from the bed from the rear as well as over the sides

why don't you go buy a monster truck if you like a truck you cant use to work out of

its not the looks that I object to, although chevys look more like fords then chevys now days, but its the loss of what trucks are "supposed" to be designed for that I object to

go buy a HHR to work out of.

go buy a HHR to work out of.

why are you even on this forum? you obviously have no idea what a truck is used for or its intended use

also I apologize for calling you an idiot, it was uncalled for and rude and not something I usually get baited into doing but when someone thinks a car is designed for hauling lumber, plywood, masonry bricks, and assorted other construction materials, well ....

why are you even on this website? you obviously have no idea what a truck is used for or its intended use

also I apologize for calling you an idiot, it was uncalled for and rude and not something I usually get baited into doing

Well I was responding idiotly. Try working out of a 2wd truck in the north good luck. Plus hooking up heavy weight to a low ground clearance vehicle. IMO if your talking working out of a vehicle and its 2WD there are much better options to work out of then a truck. I suggest if the truck is to tall, you explore those.

Well I was responding idiotly. Try working out of a 2wd truck in the north good luck. PLus hooking up heavy weight to a low gorund clearance vehicle. IMO if your talking working out of a vehicle and its 2WD there are much better option to work out of then a truck. I suggest if the truck is to tall, you explore those.

98% of all trucks used to work out of in the south are 2wd trucks, now private ownership is more like 70% 4wd but for work vehicles its all about fuel and maint costs and a 4wd burns way too much gas, requires a lot more upkeep and repairs and doesn't last as long when mainly used on highways so they are a waste of money unless you need the 4wd for off road use. we never have any snow or anything to justify using a 4wd on southern highways so I guess it all depends on location.

Sounds like one of those "stupid" laws. What about the other 50 things you could have attached to your receiver, like a bike rack, carrier of some sort, wheelchair/scooter frame, etc.? Or a piece of lumber sticking 4' out of the back of the truck...

I'm thinking that the whole "extending beyond the bumper of the vehicle when the hitch is not in use" would sum those up. Don't see to many driving around with a 2x4 sticking out for some shits and giggles, or a empty bike rack for that matter. Not arguing though, it is one of those "stupid laws".

Archived