6.0 gas engine

The Marine Version also shouldn't have catalytic converters, or atleast I wouldn't think they would. Not a boat person, so just blindly throwing my own thoughts out there.

Yes, boats don't have catalytic converters to suffocate the exhaust system. It's pure exit flow for boat engines.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What else can be done besides the basic bolt-ons to a L96? They have cathedral heads if I'm not mistaken. What other parts can be swapped onto it from other GM engines. I know that many engines from GM's Vortec and LS line are interchangeable. I used to have a chart that explained it all and which would work with which but lost it years ago.

Wish the L96 wasn't such a gasser. I love the mpgs I get from my non tuned Eco L83. I would love to upgrade it to another engine so that I don't have to keep dumping money into this one to improve upon it. Someone mentioned about a truck version 7.0L .... That almost made me drool. I wonder what a corvette 7.0L with an truck version LSX intake manifold and 102mm Throttlebody and a truck style cam would be like....??? Food for thought.

7.0l set up with a cast block. slightly smaller intake ports. Truck style intake manifold and a gm towing type cam. Should beable to make right around 500 ftlbs and an easy 450hp give or take. Big blocks were great tow motors. we just need a little more moddern one.

7.0l set up with a cast block. slightly smaller intake ports. Truck style intake manifold and a gm towing type cam. Should beable to make right around 500 ftlbs and an easy 450hp give or take. Big blocks were great tow motors. we just need a little more moddern one.

I agree, but I won't believe it until I see it. The downward trend in displacement is getting scary.

one day you will see something like a 4.5 liter turbo v8 as the base engine on hd trucks. That will not happen until the oem's demonstrate they can build a smaller engine that lasts 200k miles without significant repair costs. the hd gasser market is heavily influenced by fleet sales so is the last to see the newest tech. you do not need direct injection or a turbo to get your tractor to the job site.

Would love this setup.

I've actually been actively searching junkyards for 7.0L vettes. Install the big LSX truck intake manifold and a truck style cam plus a tune. Would be interesting no???

Would love this setup.

It was a perfect world for pulling loads with p/ups from the early 90s till government mandates started screwing with diesels. I used a few 5.9 and 7.3s during those times. The up charge for the diesel option was offset with reliability and fuel savings over a short period of time. So here we are with less reliable diesels and diesel fuel that's a lot more expensive. Add to that V8s that try to run as V4s that fuel savings is arguable with more moving parts the will affect longevity. The talk now is small turbo powered V8s for towing like big blocks, what can go wrong there? Just look at fords turbo powered V6s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

What would it take to swap a diesel into the Silverados currently using gas engines??

Besides the obvious that it would never legally pass emission scrutiny again, a lot of resistors to trick the sensors and a 12-valve Cummins, NV5600, and NP205 would be a start...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

What would it take to swap a diesel into the Silverados currently using gas engines??

Diesel swap aint gonna happen without an entire donor diesel truck. A supercharged LSX 454 would fit nicely. Make diesel torque, monster hp, and sound the way Chuck Norris would want his engine to sound.

Diesel swap aint gonna happen without an entire donor diesel truck. A supercharged LSX 454 would fit nicely. Make diesel torque, monster hp, and sound the way Chuck Norris would want his engine to sound.

Your not going to supercharge a LSX 454 as it is high compression, you will need a low compression LS based motor.

Yeah, kinda like old rifle cartridges compared to the newer stuff. I am still fond of a 30.06 or a 45-70, or even the old 30-30. Say what you want, but not a lot walks away after getting hit with a 405 grain bullet from a 45-70. Some things that have a history and have proven themselves are just worth keeping around. That is why I am seriously in talks with getting a 2015 2500HD now. Yeah, they might do the 6.2L next year, but that thing is so full of stuff that can go wrong. Scotty said it right on one of the Star Trek movies... "the more complicated you make the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain".

Overheard at my GM dealer: The service mgr telling the service writer in his best Scotty imitation voice "Oh laddie, you dinna tell him how long it was really gonna take to fix it, did ya??" :rollin:

Archived