Morimoto Sierra Spec HID

ame="tonyrb" post="1526641" timestamp="1415695681"]

The kit that is. ?

Any HID kit in any car is going to produce more light than the comparable stock halogen setup. It's just a question of harnessing that light into a useable beam pattern. And one that doesn't blind oncoming drivers.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have them on my truck. I have the stock Halogens. But historically HIDs put out more light than halogens.

My mistake thought you had one.

I haven't came across a set of HID light that hasn't blinded me.. one reason why I ordered my own.

For those of you switching to an HD bulb how is visibility going to be improved over the stock halogen bulb? How I understand it the cutoff line of the projector lamp isn't going to change therefore going to be able to see the same distance. Are these HID kits more of an appearance kind of thing for you guys or not?

The HIDs will not change the beam pattern. However it will be a much brighter and whiter light which is much easier for the eye to see than a yellow halogen. The closer you stay to 5000K (natural daylight white as it is sometimes called) the better you will see. A halogen is at 3000K and only produces around 1,000-1,500 lumens. But HIDs produce 3,000-5,000 lumens. More than double the light. So it improves visibility by adding more light in the same area that the halogens shine. So an HID is not just for looks, or well, maybe it is indirectly [emoji6]

Also you will get better distance lighting since the bulb is brighter and being projected from the same projector.

If you really want added distance light, raise your headlights a little. That's what I did once I changed my fogs to Dually D2s since I can't really use them on the road all the time. Also your high beams are called high beams for a reason, they shoot light higher. If they were only for seeing better at a distance then they would be called distance lights

Kit on its way. 5000k. Did not order separate can-bus. Does anyone know if this is necessary for install?

Kit on its way. 5000k. Did not order separate can-bus. Does anyone know if this is necessary for install?

With this kit there isnt an option for a canbus. did you get the right one?

With this kit there isnt an option for a canbus. did you get the right one?

The Sierra Spec kit from TRS includes the capacitor link, kit has everything you need. You don't need a canbus if you have the capacitor link.

The HIDs will not change the beam pattern. However it will be a much brighter and whiter light which is much easier for the eye to see than a yellow halogen. The closer you stay to 5000K (natural daylight white as it is sometimes called) the better you will see. A halogen is at 3000K and only produces around 1,000-1,500 lumens. But HIDs produce 3,000-5,000 lumens. More than double the light. So it improves visibility by adding more light in the same area that the halogens shine. So an HID is not just for looks, or well, maybe it is indirectly [emoji6]

Also you will get better distance lighting since the bulb is brighter and being projected from the same projector.

If you really want added distance light, raise your headlights a little. That's what I did once I changed my fogs to Dually D2s since I can't really use them on the road all the time. Also your high beams are called high beams for a reason, they shoot light higher. If they were only for seeing better at a distance then they would be called distance lights

Thanks for the info. Lol I know that is what high beams are for however the stock projectors are such a poor design my high beams point to the tops of trees which doesn't make it easier to see further.

Thanks for the info. Lol I know that is what high beams are for however the stock projectors are such a poor design my high beams point to the tops of trees which doesn't make it easier to see further.

Like I said, High beams help see higher, not farther(:

That's why I've added some off road bars. Got a 30" bar that is a complete spot beam pattern behind my grille. Adds a lot of light down range.

I've tried to find this but found little on it. Has anyone tried replacing their projectors? I spoke to one person that said it the Sierra Denali projector that is crap, not the bulbs so much.

Any links to replacement projectors would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

I've tried to find this but found little on it. Has anyone tried replacing their projectors? I spoke to one person that said it the Sierra Denali projector that is crap, not the bulbs so much.

Any links to replacement projectors would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Check out this thread, it is long but just skim through it. On the first page there is a projector retrofit on a Silverado and about midway through I believe there is a step by step on the Sierra by Bass Mechanic. Other members have done t as well but most seem to be having a shop do it.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?/topic/152762-HID-Headlight-Bulbs---HID-Projector-Retrofit

Replacement projectors are from theretrofitsource.com. FXR 3.0 seems to be the one everyone is using

I ordered this kit last week (Thanks to whoever posted the discout code) Had it put on today by a buddy who is WAY more familiar with this stuff than I am and it literally took longer to get the airbox out than for him to do the retrofit. Lights came on without a flicker or buzz. So far so good. If its not raining later I will go out and check the adjustment and see how they perform.

Archived