Official 2.8L "Baby" Duramax Diesel Horsepower/Torque figures

Zane

Where are you located? The Trailblazer hasn't been sold in America for years and it never had a diesel.

Found an article that says Thailand and Brazil have the Trailblazer with this engine already. The Trailblazer was dropped here in 2009, but, never stopped everywhere else. Also found complaints regarding the Bluetooth microphone placement in the left hand drive models, GM apparently did not move the mic location when they converted RHD vehicles to LHD. Mic is on wrong side of head unit, requiring driver to yell in order to be heard by other end of cell call.

If this is the diesel that finds its way into the half tons, I would be disappointed with the small displacement.

At one time the rumoured diesel for the 1500 series(don't know why people call it a half ton) was in the 4.5 litre range. The 2.8 mentioned here has more usable torque than the 4.8 in my truck.

At one time the rumoured diesel for the 1500 series(don't know why people call it a half ton) was in the 4.5 litre range. The 2.8 mentioned here has more usable torque than the 4.8 in my truck.

I remember that. Honestly, I don't think they could put a 4.5L mini Duramax in a half ton. Could you imagine the warranty claims? Guys would be making huge torque numbers with very little modification. Goodbye half ton transmission, differentials and transfer case.

I think 2.8 is a bit small, and 4.5 is too big. Maybe a 3.8L or so?

So does this motor have a turbo or not....???

I would think so. Virtually any engine over 40 or 50 HP will have a turbocharger.

I remember that. Honestly, I don't think they could put a 4.5L mini Duramax in a half ton. Could you imagine the warranty claims? Guys would be making huge torque numbers with very little modification. Goodbye half ton transmission, differentials and transfer case.

I think 2.8 is a bit small, and 4.5 is too big. Maybe a 3.8L or so?

I would think so. Virtually any engine over 40 or 50 HP will have a turbocharger.

Hard to make a diesel with sufficient power light enough for any light duty vehicle without adding some form of forced induction. Turbos are the most efficient way to boost power in a diesel.

GM builds this engine in two displacements, 2.5L and 2.8L, both turbo inline fours. We get the larger, more powerful of the two.

If GM decides to put a diesel in the 1/2-ton Silverado it will most likely be the same 3.0L V6 VM Motori unit Chrysler uses in the Ram 1500.

Let Dodge work out all the bugs of the smaller diesels in the 1/2 ton trucks and then GM will come along and do what they do best.. build a superior engine and drivetrain and kick the Dodge sales to the curb as always. Patience has it's rewards.

• 2 weeks later...

This engine is virtually identical to the 2.8L diesel I had in a 2006 Jeep Liberty. Makes sense, as VM, the maker of the diesel in my Jeep, has been a partner with GM, Penske, Detroit Diesel over the years. If this new inline 4 from GM is anything similar to the one in the Jeep, it is going to be a killer engine. Mine was cast block, wet sleeved, Bosch common rail injection, water cooled VG turbo, DOHC. It had very similar specs to the one this one that GM is fitting into the Colorado/Canyon pickups. What I have dug up thus far, except for the SCR and DPF stuff, I can't tell the difference between the engines.

That diesel in my Jeep had a B50 design rating of over 300,000 miles / 500,000 KM, meaning that 50% of these engines would go over 300K miles before needing an overhaul. My son got it at 120,000 miles, and it didn't use a drop of oil, got a solid 32 mpg in the 4500 lb Jeep, and ran like a champ.

So does this motor have a turbo or not....???

Of course it does. And it is a Variable Geometry turbo as well. There is not a diesel being made for an on road vehicle that doesn't have a turbo. The naturally aspirated diesel engines for cars and pickups has been a thing of the past for quite a while. Even the little 3 cylinder diesel in the John Deere Gator XUV has a turbo.

This engine is virtually identical to the 2.8L diesel I had in a 2006 Jeep Liberty.

Great to hear your good experiences with the same basic engine, and I agree with the above statement when referring to world Colorado platform. See post #23 for the changes made to the engine for the world market for this year, and the additional changes specifically for the North American market (different injection, turbo, internals, etc).

Read the article, and thought they were talking about the 2.8L that is the '06 Jeep Liberty. The U.S. Libby (known as the Cherokee in the European market) got the 2.8L while the overseas one got the 2.5L, virtually a carbon copy situation as what it going on with the Colorado/Canyon 2.8L, with a 2.5L version overseas. While the Honeywell turbo in the new 2.8L is almost the same as the Garrett turbo for the '06 Jeep Liberty, which is also a variable geometry, water cooled turbo. The injector PSI is up a little from the 18,000 PSI of the Liberty to 20,000 for the Colorado.

Basically what I had already researched out. it is almost a carbon copy of the VM 2.5L and 2.8L engines the Liberty got. Only major difference was that the Liberty only had EGR, while the new engines will get the entire laundry list of EPA junk.

But, as I stated before, this engine, based on the similar design as the VM, should be just about the best engine that GM has ever dropped in the Colorado/Canyon platform. And darn close to one of the best engines that GM has put on the U.S. market. I hope it plays out that way.

The one in my Liberty is pretty stout. It required the 545 transmission from the behind the 5.7L V8. And it would pull like crazy. First winter we had it, a ice storm hit and we came across one of those Interstate Battery trucks that had managed to slide off the road and got stuck. We hooked up to it and yanked it back up on the road. Not even a hickup from the 2.8L in the Jeep. We regularly would pull a loaded 300 gallon fuel wagon around hilly farm ground with it also. The key to this being a killer engine in the Colorado/Canyon is going to be the rear ratio and trans they put behind the engine. They get it right, and GM will own the midsize pickup market in spades.

Archived