New Dash Cam - Black Box G1w - Want to hardwire, need help!

Just got my black box g1w in, only came with a cigarette lighter plug but I want to hardwire to a connection that only gives it power when ignition is turned on. Camera will be mounted right behind the rear view mirror so ideally I would want to tap into something on the overhead console. Does anyone have any tips, pictures, or wiring diagrams that would help me out. I have a few days since I had to order the hardwire kit separately.

Camera

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Original-Dashboard-Dash/dp/B00FONBG1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418925787&sr=8-1&keywords=black+box+g1w

Hardwire Kit for reference,

http://www.amazon.com/Dash-Camera-Vehicle-Hard-Wire/dp/B00MH4ZVHO

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure about these new trucks.but you can tap into the cig lighter wire and use it as the power source.

Which one though? On my SLE the cig lighter right under the radio bezel is powered on 24/7. However the one inside my storage compartment only powers on when ignition is turned on.

run your power wire down the driver side a-pillar and to the fuse box and tap into your ignition fuse so when you turn the ignition the camera will have power. would not be that hard and your camera would be fused.

I ran my FD red light this way, OP could even put a switch on it at that point. Very easy to do this way.

camera1.jpgI did pickup a longer cord for my dash cam, as it was similar to a mini usb and bought an additional usb to 110 ac outlet. Ran the wire down the passenger side door pillar and behind glove box and came up from under the dash. The adapter plugs is from a Kindle so the usb goes into the bottom side so it made the install nice and neat. Camera comes on with key and turns off when you shut the motor down... Perfect!!!

power.jpg

Oh wow, I would of never seen him and ran over him. What ended up happening?

My point preciously: To expand on this what if you would have run over him and possibly killed him, would the law be looking at you for manslaughter??? Did you hit him as he was walking along the side of the road? Have you been drinking? Distracted?

With a dash cam there would be no questions: Here is what happened, period. I have video proof...

I run one in the semi truck I drive and my personal truck and as you can see... Pure protection for me!!!

As for the very lucky person in the road: He bounced up off the pavement as the other driver and I approached him. Drugs or alcohol, who knows...

The name of the game is CYA!

My wife's van has taken some pretty considerable parking lot dings and dents... would have been interesting to have dash-cam video while the car is parked to see what it would capture... assuming you noticed before the memory got overwritten.

My wife's van has taken some pretty considerable parking lot dings and dents... would have been interesting to have dash-cam video while the car is parked to see what it would capture... assuming you noticed before the memory got overwritten.

Any decent dash cam is setup for loop recording. The G1w I own also has a motion detector. For example at night, if someone walks in front of my truck the camera will turn on and begin recording until 10 seconds after the motion detector detects no movement.

Archived