DuraLife rotors in the aftermarket?

Are they available in the aftermarket? If I buy new OEM ACDelco rotors for my 2013, will they be of this variety, or am I forever relegated to the old technology? That is if they actually are something (which I think they are?) They sure made a big deal about them anyway...

Are they available in the aftermarket? If I buy new OEM ACDelco rotors for my 2013, will they be of this variety, or am I forever relegated to the old technology? That is if they actually are something (which I think they are?) They sure made a big deal about them anyway...

GM named their rotors "DuraLife" years ago. Nothing really special about them, they are just rotors.

If you order OEM you will get the AcDelco/Duralife rotors that came from the factory and because of that, you will pay a premium. Aftermarket rotors always lasted longer on my trucks. All of the OEM's I had seemed to wear rather quickly, especially towing.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

GM named their rotors "DuraLife" years ago. Nothing really special about them, they are just rotors.

If you order OEM you will get the AcDelco/Duralife rotors that came from the factory and because of that, you will pay a premium. Aftermarket rotors always lasted longer on my trucks. All of the OEM's I had seemed to wear rather quickly, especially towing.

using Tapatalk

When I did the rotors on my 2009, it was actually cheaper to upgrade to performance rotors than using the OE AcDelco ones.

using Tapatalk

Not true. I think the OP is talking about GM's FNC rotors and they are definitely not "just rotors":

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2011/Nov/1130_fnc.html

To the OP -- they aren't available for all vehicles yet but I honestly don't know which ones are available. Your GM parts counter should be able to tell you.

You should be able to snag a set of 2014 and up 1/2 OEM rotors and toss those on as they are FNC coated. GM p/n 23144340 ACDelco p/n 177-1163.

Sweet!!

Found this BTW (though it applies to the 2014, I thought it would be of interest to this topic also).

http://akebonobrakes.com/news/akebono-congratulates-general-motors-north-american-truck-year-award-chevrolet-silverado

Not true. I think the OP is talking about GM's FNC rotors and they are definitely not "just rotors":

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2011/Nov/1130_fnc.html

To the OP -- they aren't available for all vehicles yet but I honestly don't know which ones are available. Your GM parts counter should be able to tell you.

I was unaware of the change, I don't have a new style pickup.

Thanks for posting that GM article, good information there.

using Tapatalk

The ZR-1 Corvette C6 was the first to offer these (or maybe a premium version of these) rotors when it was reintroduced a few years ago. Those rotors are said to be "fade-proof" and virtually unlimited in their service life. Impressive then, and even more awesome now that the technology is trickling-down to more mainstream vehicles.

Do you guys know if the will fit the GMT-900 trucks?

Going to be time to change and I wouldn't mind giving the new design a try, if they fit.

Did GM also upgrade the brake pads for the new design rotors? I put EBC pads and Hawk rotors on my 08 for towing and they are much better than what came OEM. Would like to try the new ones on both pickups if they would fit?

using Tapatalk

Yes they should fit GMT-900. The ACDelco Durastop and Advantage replacements for K2 are the same p/n as the replacements for GMT-900, so in turn they will fit.

As of right now, the Durastop and the K2 OEM rotors are the same retail price of $132 each.

• 1 year later...

I just swapped out the OEM rotors/Pads on my GMT900 2013 Sierra with the 2014-2016 Duralife front rotors, and the 2014-2016 GM pads. The braking difference is noticeable. My original pads were only worn 1/16" in 23k miles including several road trips towing cars. The pad life on these trucks is very good. My original rotors were slightly warped, and thus beginning to shake at high speeds, especially when hot, so off they went.

The part numbers for those interested:

Pads 23135915 or AC Delco 171-1129 $112 list $71 wholesale

Rotors 23144340 or AC Delco 177-1163 $136 list $86.36 wholesale

This was 100 percent direct bolt on with absolutely no modifications necessary to the truck. This includes the supplied brake pad anti rattle spring clips.

I just swapped out the OEM rotors/Pads on my GMT900 2013 Sierra with the 2014-2016 Duralife front rotors, and the 2014-2016 GM pads. The braking difference is noticeable. My original pads were only worn 1/16" in 23k miles including several road trips towing cars. The pad life on these trucks is very good. My original rotors were slightly warped, and thus beginning to shake at high speeds, especially when hot, so off they went.

The part numbers for those interested:

Pads 23135915 or AC Delco 171-1129 $112 list $71 wholesale

Rotors 23144340 or AC Delco 177-1163 $136 list $86.36 wholesale

This was 100 percent direct bolt on with absolutely no modifications necessary to the truck. This includes the supplied brake pad anti rattle spring clips.

Yes I've told a few friends to do the same thing and they are pleased with the results. It's not a hard sell when you show them your two year old rotors and they look new still.

Archived