Removing steering wheel

I've ordered a new steering wheel to replace the one that came on my used 2014 sierra. The leather was hard and not soft like a new wheel and was also wearing on the left side where I keep my hand all the time.

My question is for anyone that has removed a steering wheel from the 2014+ trucks. Is a puller required? I do not have one and I know gm has special legs that need to be used for pulling off steering wheels.

I'm also interested in hearing from anyone that has done this.

I'd like to replace my wheel in my WT with a leather wrapped wheel (not concerned with the radio controls)

Thanks in advance, Rich

I'm also interested in hearing from anyone that has done this.

I'd like to replace my wheel in my WT with a leather wrapped wheel (not concerned with the radio controls)

Thanks in advance, Rich

I think all the leather wheels have the audio controls, Ill be doing it soon. I talked to my mechanic and he told me to try pulling on it and it might come loose. So far the hardest part for me was figuring out how to remove the air bag.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2014-CHEVROLET-SILVERADO-BLACK-STEERING-WHEEL-WITH-SILVER-TRIM-23134268-423229-/151518535826?hash=item2347356092&vxp=mtr

that's

a fairly cheap option for you. You can also get headet wheels for a fraction more.

I did it on a Ford ZX2 once, you'll need to take it to an alignment shop to have the steering wheel indexed most likely. Read up on taking the air bag out I know you need to disconnect the battery at minimum.

I dont think you can do it without destroying the airbag....I think I read that somewhere.

Its possible, I took the air bag off today to check. You have to use a skinny screw driver through the back of the steering wheel to pop it off.

I ordered a wheel from a denali that has an extra button on it for forward collision detection, either that or its for adaptive cruise control. Im going to try it and see if it works. I plan on swapping my metal inserts over to keep them matching and I'm dying the stitching red with a fabric marker.

I think all the leather wheels have the audio controls, Ill be doing it soon. I talked to my mechanic and he told me to try pulling on it and it might come loose. So far the hardest part for me was figuring out how to remove the air bag.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2014-CHEVROLET-SILVERADO-BLACK-STEERING-WHEEL-WITH-SILVER-TRIM-23134268-423229-/151518535826?hash=item2347356092&vxp=mtr

that's

a fairly cheap option for you. You can also get headet wheels for a fraction more.

The first link you posted is a local truck... the wheel is bent from the driver during the accident. BTW I made wheel puller legs for my standard puller. My advice is go to your local auto parts store and rent a puller.

RT

There are no places that rent where I live unfortunately. My mechanic has some two prong gear pullers that should work if I cant pull it off. I hope the one I ordered isnt bent!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived