HID question

Im planning on doing HID headlights and the fogs on a gmc. If i order the 2 sets listed below do both use the stock housing? Because there is no way i'd be able to do a retro fit from what i've seen. And watt wattage and kalvin bulb is the best to get? I've read a lot of things on here and am probably just so scatter brained im not quite understanding.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-sierra-low-beam.html#.VXUNAkazk2V

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-h16-5202-hid-system.html?carDisplay=2015+GMC+Sierra+Halogen+%28Projectors%29&preselect=RELAY-5202%2F2504%2CXB-BALLAST-55%2CXB2-5202-5#.VXUDS0azk2V

The only advice I can give you is that 35w is plenty, and in my experience 55w are not any brighter than 35w they just change the color tempreture.

And as far as color temp goes, 4500k is stock HID color and the higher up the Kelvin rating you go thes less light output there is. I personally like the 5500K, they have just a light tinge of blue to it which looks nice, but not ricey at all.

The only advice I can give you is that 35w is plenty, and in my experience 55w are not any brighter than 35w they just change the color tempreture.

And as far as color temp goes, 4500k is stock HID color and the higher up the Kelvin rating you go thes less light output there is. I personally like the 5500K, they have just a light tinge of blue to it which looks nice, but not ricey at all.

I completely agree with Dan about the 35w over 55w. There really is no significant advantage of 55w.

I'd run 5000k as well. The 5000k is that pure white. If you want any blue, I wouldnt go over 6000k.

Im running HIDs from http://www.alphahid.com/-- they have the same warranty as TRS and very similar products (both AC digital ballasts, ASIC etc) and they're half the price.

If you run HIDs in the fog lights 3 things may be of concern.

First, 35w may melt the plastic fog light housings. There is a company called HIDguy that sells a 25w kit for them.

Second, HIDs take about 20-30 seconds to warm up to full bright. If you are courteous and shut them off for oncoming cars, you have to wait for them to come back to full bright after turning them on again.

Third, they will be so bright in the fog light position that they will blind oncoming traffic badly. So you can't just drive around with them on to look cool. If that's your intent, buy some low powered LED bulbs that are the same color as the HID headlights.

4300k is stock HID color and the higher up the Kelvin rating you go thes less light output there is unless you use OSRAM 66240 CBI bulbs which are 5500k and are rated with more lumens than normal 4300k bulbs. I personally like the 5500K, they have just a light tinge of blue to it which looks nice, but not ricey at all.

The red text are some corrections.

If you run HIDs in the fog lights 3 things may be of concern.

First, 35w may melt the plastic fog light housings. There is a company called HIDguy that sells a 25w kit for them.

Second, HIDs take about 20-30 seconds to warm up to full bright. If you are courteous and shut them off for oncoming cars, you have to wait for them to come back to full bright after turning them on again.

Third, they will be so bright in the fog light position that they will blind oncoming traffic badly. So you can't just drive around with them on to look cool. If that's your intent, buy some low powered LED bulbs that are the same color as the HID headlights.

I'll save my money then and take your advice on led. Don't want to be a hazard on the road. I know there is a build by some one can't remember his name but he list all the LEDs for all the lights and where to get I have it saved on my laptop probably go that route

Yeah, stay away from hid in the fogs.. I ran them for maybe a week (35w) and they started to mess up the reflective housing.. Pulled them out and put 6k vleds bulbs in. As for the headlamp hids you posted that is what you want. I have that kit and got the 6k bulbs and they match the fogs nicely

For the fog lights, if you want a really useful fog light with moderate power, consider the Rigid D series DOT/SAE approved (street legal) light. They are about 3 times more powerful (1500 lumens vs 500) and very well controlled beam with a good cutoff.

20150221_182838_zpsp2fgwa2j.jpg

DSC_2862%20Medium_zpsgxnt7a24.jpg

I was doing some reading last night about putting an HID bulb into a Halogen Projector (like SLTs have). I read that the beam spread won't be that great and that you are better off just running a good halogen bulb. Also said your distance vision at night may be shortened because the light will be too bright right in front of you.

Not sure how true it is.

Archived