folding tonneaus - gator/bakflip/extang ???

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see a lot of folks taking issue with the folding hard covers blocking the rear window. Why? If you have to have the cover folded, it's because whatever you're putting in the bed comes up above the height of the cover. It would seem to me that the chances are pretty good that whatever is tall enough to come up above the cover also poses the "threat" of blocking your view out the rear window. So, who cares if the cover blocks it?

For the record, DOT / federal highway laws only require a single, side-mounted (on the driver's door) rear-facing mirror to see behind you. So, there's no law being violated by blocking that view.

The price for a hard folding cover that blocks the rear window when fully up and the bak revolver x2 is pretty much equal- in terms of performance the hard ones leak more, require drainage tubes, and block the rear window.....so to me it was a "no brainer" on which one to get.

The price for a hard folding cover that blocks the rear window when fully up and the bak revolver x2 is pretty much equal- in terms of performance the hard ones leak more, require drainage tubes, and block the rear window.....so to me it was a "no brainer" on which one to get.

My Fold A Cover doesn't leak, doesn't need drain tubes, and doesn't block the rear window when folded. Granted, when it's folded the bed isn't completely open, but it's still folded.

I know you're talkin' BakFlip,just sayin' :)

Did you ever get it installed?

Yeah and the barrel adjustment was the big thing to get it to lie down right. Now the panels are shutting. I just can't get used to the fact it sticks up an inch above the bed.

Question, I know the fold-a-cover site always talks about how when it is shut it locks the tailgate too. Mine doesn't do that and I don't see how in the hell it could. Thanks for the clarification on the panels, also. I thought my damn cover was crooked as hell at first, lol! Also, does your rails angle in? I can't remember off the top of my head but it is like the back is a smidge wider than the front and I wouldn't even notice it if it weren't for the grooves on the rail caps.

Question, I know the fold-a-cover site always talks about how when it is shut it locks the tailgate too. Mine doesn't do that and I don't see how in the hell it could.

Mine doesn't lock both either. I think it's a typo on their site. Probably meant to read that the cover can be locked along with your tailgate.

I'll check on the angle of the rails. I never noticed. And you're right, there is no way this locks the tailgate. Though I will say that after it's been on for a bit, because of how the seal lays over the tailgate rail, it does give some resistance if you try and open the tailgate without the first panel. But other than that - nope - doesn't lock both.

I'll check on the angle of the rails. I never noticed. And you're right, there is no way this locks the tailgate. Though I will say that after it's been on for a bit, because of how the seal lays over the tailgate rail, it does give some resistance if you try and open the tailgate without the first panel. But other than that - nope - doesn't lock both.

Well the model for the 900's had a tab at the back that I think locked into the plastic tailgate cover. I guess that is what they meant.

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered the new Bak Revolver X2. Went around and around about 100 times between tri fold, solid top, and this one. Decided this one solves most problems. $750 Shipped, no tax. Can't beat that. Will post pics and review when it arrives next week.

Just ordered the new Bak Revolver X2. Went around and around about 100 times between tri fold, solid top, and this one. Decided this one solves most problems. $750 Shipped, no tax. Can't beat that. Will post pics and review when it arrives next week.

That's the cheapest I've heard of. Where did you find it for that price? I'm looking hard at the revolver also.

That's the cheapest I've heard of. Where did you find it for that price? I'm looking hard at the revolver also.

Go on tonneau factory outlet .com and start a live chat with Morrie. He told me 769, I got it to 750 and was happy with the price. It'll be here Thursday. Can't wait.

Just filed a warranty claim on my Undercover Flex. The coating on the top chipped. A simple email to their warranty dept which was answered in a couple hours, and a few pics from my camera phone later and I had a brand new cover shipped to my house in 3 days. That's outstanding customer service. I couldn't get Bak to answer the phone let alone respond to an email inquiry. I'm all for a company that backs up their product. It's hard to beat a 3 year warranty on a folding cover too. Thumbs up for Undercover!

Archived