folding tonneaus - gator/bakflip/extang ???

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like my bakflip vp but one think I find very annoying is having to have the tailgate closed before latching the cover. So every time I drop my tailgate I have to open the cover close the tailgate then close the cover. Doing this with a hand full of tools or bags is a pain in the ass.

I like my bakflip vp but one think I find very annoying is having to have the tailgate closed before latching the cover. So every time I drop my tailgate I have to open the cover close the tailgate then close the cover. Doing this with a hand full of tools or bags is a pain in the ass.

I think that is one advantage the fold-a-cover G4 has over the bakflip

I dunno, now I think the bakflip roll-x is even better...looks like less chance of the rubber gaskets @ the seams being an issue, better coverage along the bed rails as far as water is concerned, and I think you can open the tailgate w/ it closed, plus only have to "unlatch" it once and you can open it 10% or 100%, w/ the folding ones you need to pull the release cord for each section you flip over. You get the convenience of a rolling cover w/ the security of a solid one...

That's a good option, just a bit pricey

Within $100 +\- of the others mentioned. I'm not doing anything until late fall anyhow when I really need it, and while the cost is high for these things, I'd rather spend $800 to cover/secure $5000 worth of ski equipment than $300 for a soft roll vinyl or something cheap and not have that peace of mind

OK - got my Extang Encore and tried to install it today. Not happy at all. I am not sure if mine just got leaked in shipping or what, but I experienced multiple issues. The rails went on pretty easy. When I went to install the actual tonneau, however, which should have taken 5 minutes, but I gave up after trying for nearly an hour. Specifically:

1 - The hooks the install that catch the rail were installed at an angle instead of straight so no matter how i adjusted it, it kept rubbing on the rail.

2 - The latch would not catch the rail for the rear section no matter what I did. It's almost as if latch does not go down far enough to engage the rail, but the tone is flat and flush against the side rails so it can't go down any further. It also looks like the rail metal is thin enough that the latch actually flexes is down instead of engaging it.

3 - Front section looks tweaked, or installed bad.

Any thoughts? Does anyone have this one? Pics below.

20558798559_a625e51338_c.jpgUntitled by acevedor2, on Flickr

20558755129_91067aee64_c.jpgUntitled by acevedor2, on Flickr

20719259316_1b5d25b8eb_c.jpgUntitled by acevedor2, on Flickr

20719237036_9f96cf3ce5_c.jpgUntitled by acevedor2, on Flickr

20124530623_52a112ffe8_c.jpgUntitled by acevedor2, on Flickr

Plenty of threads on this already.

No kidding. It's usually the "which oil is the best" threads that number like these tonneau threads. Makes me wonder if the search function is working.

On my previous Tacoma Forums, there were complaints of the BAK HD falling apart too. While the panels are made from aluminum, the interior core is made of a styrofoam core which will warp. Also the rubber seals and prone to failure as the cover is folded and unfolded, the rubber seals rub together wearing them out. I don't think it matters which of these style of folding covers you buy, they are all designed to fail and fall apart in a few years, hence the 2-3 year max warranty on them. I've heard great things about the Extang but for the sheer fact it doesn't sit flush with the bed and that the cover panels done fold completely out of the way to expose the whole bed without removing the cover was a deal breaker for me.

It's a pretty poor design overall. Bak is rebranded as Gator (it's a straight OEM deal) for one of the Gator models at least. Extang is owned by the same company that owns Bak, UnderCover, Gator, and a few others (THI Corp). They compete against each other, but you're definitely starting to see certain aspects being shared - like the underlying designs and measurements.

To me in regards to the fold against the cab models, It really doesn't matter which one you buy as both the BAK and Undercover are both now made by the same parent company. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with the BAK. The reason I didn't go with BAK this time was I had so many issues with 2 different models on my previous Tacoma and their customer service is horrendous, but that was before they were bought out; maybe things have got better. The one advantage of the BAK style cover is it is easier to prop up, where with the Undercover you have to balance the cover while attaching the prop rods to ensure the cover doesn't do crashing against the cab which could cause damage. Another thing is to keep up with the maintenance of these covers, I put protectant on mine every 6 months which apparently was not enough as my covers finish is starting to fade/chip. I don't know enough about the Gator to give an opinion other than it looks an awfully lot like the BAK which as I mentioned earlier holds a patent for that style of cover. If so, I would probably stay away from them that if they are indeed a start up by the former owner as his customer service is attrocious and he puts his product out on the market without testing it thoroughly. I'm not paying $900 to be a beta tested for an inferior product.

Not sure that they're actually -made- by the same company, but they are absolutely using the same design for many of their pieces. UnderCover uses a) and entirely different system to prop the cover up in its fully-open position, and they use ONLY a three-panel system. Bak uses three panels ONLY on short beds (crew cab only).

I can absolutely support the TERRIBLE customer service - no one there actually seems to know what the hell they sell or how it's made.

Something else on the Bakflip... to my knowledge, they do not provide a seal for the tailgate. Meaning, the sides and bottom of the bed at the tailgate have a gap unless you buy a seal yourself to put there. The bakflip will seal along the top edge of the tailgate. It's about $30 most places to get this seal, and worth it IMO. Keeps a lot of dust and water out. Easy to install on your own.

Thought I'd put that out there. If you just have the cover and do not seal the tailgate, I can see where more water would get in.

They do not.

This isn't a VP-specific issue - it's with ALL of the THI Corp owned folding hard covers. I had a Bak F1 on my Tundra that I had no issues at all closing the gate with the cover closed. I was able to do this after the cover was installed for a couple of months (and the cold weather rolled in). Another MAJOR gripe I had about the cover was that, in the winter, some direct sun would melt snow and create a film between the rear seal and the top of the gate. Then, it would freeze and you couldn't open the gate. The only real fix was a thin film of Vaseline or similar under the rear seal.

The people with crew cabs will have the best overall luck with Bak covers. There's virtually NO value in buying anything other than the G2, however. The extra money that you spend on the HD, F1, etc. is pointless if you're only doing it for the longer warranty. Set the money aside and use it to buy replacement parts when you need them.

After getting a good look at this Extang Encore - I think it's going back to Amazon and I will likely be getting a G4 Elite. They seem to have a deal going on right now so I am also considering getting the personal caddy. Has anyone used this? Just want to make sure it doesn't end up being a waste of money. it's not cheap!

After getting a good look at this Extang Encore - I think it's going back to Amazon and I will likely be getting a G4 Elite. They seem to have a deal going on right now so I am also considering getting the personal caddy. Has anyone used this? Just want to make sure it doesn't end up being a waste of money. it's not cheap!

My Encore does not have any of the issues that you are seeing. I've been really happy with mine. It really looks like it got messed up in shipping or was assembled wrong from the factory. The misaligned front panel looks really bad.

Did your cover drop ship from Extang or did it come from the sellers location? I bought mine through realtruck.com and it was drop shipped directly from Extang. It arrived in perfect condition. I'm wondering if it was shipped twice (Extang to the dealer and then to you) and that may have increased the chances of damage.

The only problem I had is that the plastic end cap by the tailgate was missing from one of the rails. Extang sent a new one out the next day when I called them. It did annoy me that Extang only supplies one key. I had Lowes cut a Honda key blank that looked like it would work, but no luck. I could insert the key but not rotate it. I eyed up the Honda key to the original and couldn't see a difference. I had to buy extra keys from Extang directly.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Only issue I have with the trifecta is that it's soft. I really want a harder shell. I bought the Encore from Amazon - so the good news is that not only will they take it back, but UPS will pick it up. I might give Extang a call later, but my thoughts are that it's probably going back and I am looking at getting a fold-a-cover. The fold-a-cover - with the current discounting, is actually cheaper too...

Archived