2500HD 6.0 First Tow

Bought a new car hauler last week, so loaded up the wife's Jeep and took a little Labor Day weekend road trip. This was the first time towing with my '15 6.0 2500. The new trailer weighs 3650lbs, and I'm guestimating the Jeep weighs 5500 or a little more. Total weight was probably between 9100lbs-9500lbs.

Overall, I'm happy with the truck's performance. The round trip was only around 240 miles, averaged exactly 9.0 mpg travelling between 60 and 70 on backroads, no Interstate.

I could definitely tell the difference between pulling with this truck and the Cummins powered trucks I've had before, but this one got the job done. We'll see how much I still like this truck after I pull this load out to Moab, Utah next year....

IMG_0616_zps46msh4sk.jpg

IMG_0618_zpsr3hzkp6n.jpg

IMG_0615_zpsgtqqqxwq.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious.....why don't you get a tow bar and flat tow that Jeep 4 down? Save the weight of pulling the trailer.

Because some of the trails we run in our Jeeps can result in enough damage to render flat towing impractical. :)

clayton9_zps4fed0b6a.jpg

100_2019.jpg

Nice set up there , that is a really heavy car hauler at 3640lbs. Wow my 20ft dove tail is around 2100-2200lbs, that s a beefy trailer for sure. Nice Jeep to.

Thank you. The trailer is a PJ super wide. Made from 6" channel, two 7000lb axles. Beefy, but heavy.

I wasn't too impressed with my 2015 2500 with the 6.0. well let me rephrase that, the truck has enough power to tow, but there are a couple gears that are too far apart. when I climbed a steep grade towing, the truck would be excessively high in rpms and then when it would shift the rpms would drop too low to maintain speed. I had to back off the speed in the lower gear so it wasn't screaming so high. My f150 with the 5.4l did better on the steep grades. I pull a 28 foot travel trailer at roughly 8000 lbs loaded. another huge disappointment with the truck is the tow mirrors. it is too hard to see out of the passenger mirror. the large glass is too focused. it should be zoomed out a tad so you can see more especially for towing. also, that passenger mirror doesn't extend far enough out to see down the side of the trailer. another thing I noticed is the new style mirrors for whatever reason, the amber lights on the front don't blink for the turn signal. I don't know why they would do that. the truck has some cool features for sure, but I feel like they focused too much on that rather than making a better tow vehicle.

yeah, the tow mirrors pull out but not far enough I guess. The only other tow vehicles I've used have been a 2010 F150 and a few of my Dad's F250s and with those I could see right down the side of the trailer and the glass showed more of the surroundings. I've been pretty unhappy with the new truck. Having problems with it already and problems with the service dept which is where it's at now. Its been there over a week.

There is absolutely no way any 5.4 triton is out pulling a 6.0, even if it doesn't decide to shoot out the spark plugs. The 6.0 may not "feel" like it's pulling as well, but it is. The TFL guys were talking about how short on power and crappy it was, they seemed surprised when it clobbered the 6.4 hemi.

But I do prefer the super duty tow mirrors.

I wouldn't say the 5.4 out towed the 6.0. I'm pulling the same trailer I did with the f150 and they both pull good. I just never had the gearing issue with the f150 where there is a huge difference in the rpms from one gear to the next. you can see the issue im talking about in the tfl video with the 2500hd.

I wouldn't say the 5.4 out towed the 6.0. I'm pulling the same trailer I did with the f150 and they both pull good. I just never had the gearing issue with the f150 where there is a huge difference in the rpms from one gear to the next. you can see the issue im talking about in the tfl video with the 2500hd.

I see what you mean. In my limited 6.0/6speed towing experience, what worked best was locking it down to the lower gear and letting it spin high.

Archived