14 Silverado Remote Start Add on with Onstar App...it works

Bsbard, did you get it working yet? I called Onstar today and they once again told me it won't work in my truck. Which is a July 2014 build, 2014 Silverado LT. I even told them what the OP mentioned and asked to send my request to tier 2 support so they could program into their system. But the tier 1 guy said he checked and my truck is not capable. He said the dealer would either need to install a newer version of the remote start kit or possibly update the software in the truck then maybe it would work but there was nothing in their end they could do.....

Tier two support finally got my work order today, one week and several phone calls later. Getting past tier one support is the main obstacle, they don't have a clue. It has to be a tier two, offline technical support technician to reprogram their OnStar build sheet to match the dealer update when they activate the factory remote start. Should be active on my app in a couple of days.

• Like 1

Bsbard, did you get it working yet? I called Onstar today and they once again told me it won't work in my truck. Which is a July 2014 build, 2014 Silverado LT. I even told them what the OP mentioned and asked to send my request to tier 2 support so they could program into their system. But the tier 1 guy said he checked and my truck is not capable. He said the dealer would either need to install a newer version of the remote start kit or possibly update the software in the truck then maybe it would work but there was nothing in their end they could do.....

An update on this. Onstar called me back today and apologized for them giving me the wrong info. She said she was escalating my issue to their senior support team and they'll be adding the code in their system to make it work. Hoping it actually does.

Finally after two weeks, OnStar got it updated. It's working now.

It looks like it's our lucky day. I got a call back today and my app now indeed looks like yours and the remote option works!

Good evening all. I have a 2016 Chevy Silvrado 1500. I had a remote start put in today. When i picked it up they told me the truck was capable to use the factory remotes that they had to give me the supplied ones. Has anyone else had this issue, and if you do have thi issue will you be able to still use the on star app? Thanks

• Like 1

Did you have a GM factory remote kit installed? It has to be GM remote kit to work with OnStar. Refer back on this thread on the details.

• Like 1

Sorry you didn't find this forum first. Your truck already has remote start installed. All the remote GM kit consist of is two key fobs, replacement hood latch, wiring harness and eight zip ties. All the dealer does is turn on the remote start option with their computer. If your truck doesn't have a backup camera, it is also prewired for that.

• Like 1

Did this to my 15 Silverado. I work at a dealership and had no idea about this. When looking at the GM accessories it specifically says that its not compatible with the onstar remote app. Myself and on of my service advisors called onstar on this and did the same upgrade. I've even passed this along to the sales team and this changes a lot as far as recommending aftermarket vs. the GM accessory remote start kit. Thanks so much for this thread. It's fantastic!

• Like 2

Did this to my 15 Silverado. I work at a dealership and had no idea about this. When looking at the GM accessories it specifically says that its not compatible with the onstar remote app. Myself and on of my service advisors called onstar on this and did the same upgrade. I've even passed this along to the sales team and this changes a lot as far as recommending aftermarket vs. the GM accessory remote start kit. Thanks so much for this thread. It's fantastic!

Feel free to send me a kick back from all your additional sales now. :fingersx:

Edited by cmitchell86

Feel free to send me a kick back from all your additional sales now. :fingersx:

That's the sad part... anything that goes internally, I don't get a kickback on and most of the kits we would sell are likely to go through sales as an internal sale :( lol

• 2 years later...

I too added the GM factory remote start to my 2014 Silverado.  I've enjoyed the My Chevrolet app for the past five years to start my truck in the summer and winter for climate control purposes.  

The 5 year trial finally ended.  Disappointed, but I'm not going to pay $15 a month to OnStar for this service.  Anyone come across an aftermarket remote start with phone app that works with, not replace the GM factory remote start system?