Hey there I have a

2015 1500 5.3L LTZ Silverado 4WD (midnight edition)

Anyway I was doing highway miles and got a console alert that oil level was low. Stopped at the auto parts store, added one quart, saw level was still low.. so I added a second quart which filled it up. I climbed under the engine in the parking lot, and took a peek at the oil pan. I noticed the gasket was all mushroomed out and there was oil pretty much caked everywhere lower than that seal.

I took it to the dealership to get it repaired and the service manager told me the strangest stories.

He said

1) the lower oil pan is one time use

2) the lower oil pan gasket is RTV

3) the upper oil pan gasket was also leaking

4) the crimp in the oil cooler line was leaking (didn't realize my engine even had an oil cooler!? Why would a light duty truck have this equipped?)

He quoted $2000 for everything including 10% sales tax.

Does this raise the alarm for anyone else here? I only saw oil from the lower gasket downward. The parts on rock auto are about $70. I think I'll have to do this one myself but would love some thoughts. 

Thanks in advance.

1. Haven't heard that before. It's a metal lower pan and I've put them back on before. Just made sure they were straight and used the correct RTV.

2. Yes, (above). That's why it looks like it pushed out more than likely but really that is pretty normal.

3. Leaking leaking or was it just seeping out some? That one is alot more labor to do. Lots more needs to come out to get the lower pan out.

4. Pretty normal. They have been using oil coolers on half ton GM trucks for last 25+ years on tons of trucks. Some trucks weren't optioned with it but a vast majority of them because of the towing packages.

Is it leaving drops of oil on the ground? If it was my truck I'd degrease the whole underside and take a better look at where the seeping from. If it's not dripping all over the place then it's likely burning oil too.

2 hours ago, CamGTP said:

1. Haven't heard that before. It's a metal lower pan and I've put them back on before. Just made sure they were straight and used the correct RTV.

Yeah me neither. I'll replace the whole thing because now I'm thinking I need to.

2. Yes, (above). That's why it looks like it pushed out more than likely but really that is pretty normal.

Agreed.

3. Leaking leaking or was it just seeping out some? That one is alot more labor to do. Lots more needs to come out to get the lower pan out.

I for one didn't see any evidence of a leak or seepage from the upper pan. I couldn't even see a delineation where the lower pan connects to the bottom block, so I'm not going to touch it for now.

4. Pretty normal. They have been using oil coolers on half ton GM trucks for last 25+ years on tons of trucks. Some trucks weren't optioned with it but a vast majority of them because of the towing packages.

I'm going to change out the line and gasket.

Is it leaving drops of oil on the ground? If it was my truck I'd degrease the whole underside and take a better look at where the seeping from. If it's not dripping all over the place then it's likely burning oil too.

No drops of oil anywhere, so I agree it's probably burning some. I guess it would make sense if my oil cooler is running at sub optimal. May be chasing a running thread from here on though, especially if the burning continues after replacing the cooling line and the repairing main leak.