14 Silverado Remote Start Add on with Onstar App...it works

About $200 fornthe parts. Bought mine here.

http://www.shopchevyparts.com/electronics/2014-silverado-1500-remote-start/22997089-p-92277140.html

Forgot what I paid for install. Gotta do not at a GM dealer though for OnStar to update it. Maybe $150 I think for install

Hey guys. New here. Just got a 2016 Silverado 5.3L 4x4. I was curious if y'all knew a price to get remote start and have it installed. I'd like to get it an then also take advantage of having onstar update my app. Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by drcubanb

Hey guys. New here. Just got a 2016 Silverado 5.3L 4x4. I was curious if y'all knew a price to get remote start and have it installed. I'd like to get it an then also take advantage of having onstar update my app. Thanks in advance guys.

Jay,

I got lucky and got the GM kit on Amazon for $103.00. Same dealer is selling the kit for $203.00 now. Got mine installed yesterday. Labor and programming was $315.00 at my Chevy dealer.

I've called OnStar, waiting for them to activate my app.

So the dealer will install it even though you didn't get it from the dealer themselves?

So the dealer will install it even though you didn't get it from the dealer themselves?

Yes most dealers will. What is funny or actually frustrating is the install kit consist of two key fobs, hood latch with switch, wiring harness and eight zip ties. All the electronics are already installed from the factory. Dealer is just turning it on with their GM computer.

From GM accessories:

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-1500-pickup-truck/accessories.html

I have a few questions about all of this.

I bought my truck used but it is a 2014 SLT that already has remote start. If I push the Onstar button to get an account setup for me, would I get to continue with theremaining free 5 years or what might they do?

If I get setup with Onstar, does my truck need anything else to get the remote capability of the app?

So far no reply from OnStar since I talked to them Friday afternoon. I'll Keep checking my app for the update before I call back later today.

Finally got to talk to a very helpful OnStar advisor that took the time to listen to me and not just go by their script. My issue is being turned over to offline technical support and they are going to reprogram my vehicle specifics to accept the OnStar remote start app. He said three to five days, but probably much less.

Just got a call back from OnStar. She said OnStar App won't work with an after market remote start. I stopped her and said this is not a after market, it's a GM part installed and updated by the dealer. I told her I was waiting on a tier 2 offline support to update my truck in the OnStar system. This is what I was told the first of the week. She didn't have a clue. I think this came from the first call I made and got cut off. Still waiting, I'll call back Monday if I don't hear back from them first. Did find out GM dealer over charged me $45 in labor. Got that refunded back.

Just got a call back from OnStar. She said OnStar App won't work with an after market remote start. I stopped her and said this is not a after market, it's a GM part installed and updated by the dealer. I told her I was waiting on a tier 2 offline support to update my truck in the OnStar system. This is what I was told the first of the week. She didn't have a clue. I think this came from the first call I made and got cut off. Still waiting, I'll call back Monday if I don't hear back from them first. Did find out GM dealer over charged me $45 in labor. Got that refunded back.

I would try logging out of the app and signing back in. See if they updated it and forgot to call you back. It typically doesnt take that long for them to get back to you....unless they are super busy, who knows.

I've been doing that. I've also uninstalled / reinstalled the app several times this week. Just waiting. I think the first person I spoke with got the work order messed up.

Maybe just Hopfully Onstar has gotten their act together. I tried calling and getting them to do this last spring and they swore up and down it was not possible. I mean call after call, tier 1, tier 2 call backs, over and over again for weeks and always ended up with nope we can't make it work. I guess I'll try again and hope for the best.