Thoughts on Delete

i know this is an older thread, but I took my truck in for the last complimentary oil change today, and while I was waiting I went over the warranty with my service writer. Apparently the high pressure fuel system ISNT covered in the powertrain warranty. Its only covered in the 36,000 mile warranty. Meaning if the cp4 shits the bed, I'm going to be out 12-15k. Needless to say, I'm gonna start saving up for my delete/tune. (2700 installed, through advanced diesel in Kalispell).. now I need to price out the cp3 conversion kit. Probably gonna have that professionally installed as well.. any input would be appreciated. thanks all

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stock pump is self priming, you simply turn the key on and you will hear the pump turn on and prime the system, no stress at all.

Install is pretty easy, just depends on if you feeling like doing it or paying someone else to do it.

What stock pump? LB7 through LML there is no factory lift pump, nor is the fuel system self priming. CP3/CP4 don't do anything unless the engine is cranking or running. L5P does have a lift pump now. Express/Savana are self priming because the fuel filters are underneath the van.

• 8 months later...

I realize I'm reviving and old post, but I'm finding myself in the same position. There are pros and cons to both sides of the fence on this: warranty no warranty, delete don't delete, etc. 60k is nothing to sneeze at when buying a truck and it makes me nervous to be without a warranty IF ANYTHING takes a dump on the truck. But..... do I try and do a pre-emptive strike? Increase the reliability and longevity of the powertrain by doing the delete? I'm planning on doing the lift pump asap and looking into a cp3 conversion. But, from what I see, the conversion  will kill the warranty because of the tune needed to run the truck. I'm not really looking for some crazy tune or horsepower, I feel that the truck will have the power to do what I need it to do, I just want the peace of mind that through regular maintenance, I will have a reliable truck that will last well beyond 150k with no issues.

In a similar situation, I opted not to purchase an extended warranty on my 2017 Polaris RZR 1k. Lots of money wrapped up in that thing but decided to address the known problems right off the bat, but leave it as stock as possible. So I'm not opposed to not having a warranty, as long as it's worth it. 

20180220_145336.jpg

20180220_145351.jpg

7 hours ago, AK_GONZO said:

I realize I'm reviving and old post, but I'm finding myself in the same position. There are pros and cons to both sides of the fence on this: warranty no warranty, delete don't delete, etc. 60k is nothing to sneeze at when buying a truck and it makes me nervous to be without a warranty IF ANYTHING takes a dump on the truck. But..... do I try and do a pre-emptive strike? Increase the reliability and longevity of the powertrain by doing the delete? I'm planning on doing the lift pump asap and looking into a cp3 conversion. But, from what I see, the conversion  will kill the warranty because of the tune needed to run the truck. I'm not really looking for some crazy tune or horsepower, I feel that the truck will have the power to do what I need it to do, I just want the peace of mind that through regular maintenance, I will have a reliable truck that will last well beyond 150k with no issues.

In a similar situation, I opted not to purchase an extended warranty on my 2017 Polaris RZR 1k. Lots of money wrapped up in that thing but decided to address the known problems right off the bat, but leave it as stock as possible. So I'm not opposed to not having a warranty, as long as it's worth it. 

Assuming it's new, and I think you indicated towing and travelling were intended usage, then I'd certainly be running out the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty before considering deleting.

I believe there are far more trouble free LML's than some realize. 

People don't down hunt down forums to post about their trouble-free trucks. 

But i have noticed a substantial down tick in the number of diesel pickups that businesses buy.  They don't want the hassle.  They want reliability and low cost of operation, and the cost benefit ratio of diesel just isn't there.  So while there may be a good level of "satisfied" users out there, there is enough of a problem to cause a shying away from diesel power also.

And while it is true, that one does not hear much of anything from those who have no problems, it is also true that silence can also be that many people will keep their mouth shut because they don't want to have to admit they made a mistake in buying something, especially that expensive of a mistake.  They feel bad enough about the choice they made, they really don't want it out in the public arena where it will never go away.

I prefer to keep the pre-emission diesels going for my business. it is cheaper than buying the new stuff and the associated complexity and operational costs in both money and downtime.  At least with my heavy truck needs, I can buy new trucks without a motor and trans, and drop in a remanufactured pre-emission engine and remanned trans and virtually have a brand new truck without all this nonsense.  Yes it is legal.  

And it will take a pretty strong need for me to ever consider diesel in a pickup again.  And that need is pretty remote.

• 3 weeks later...
But i have noticed a substantial down tick in the number of diesel pickups that businesses buy.  They don't want the hassle.  They want reliability and low cost of operation, and the cost benefit ratio of diesel just isn't there.  So while there may be a good level of "satisfied" users out there, there is enough of a problem to cause a shying away from diesel power also.

And while it is true, that one does not hear much of anything from those who have no problems, it is also true that silence can also be that many people will keep their mouth shut because they don't want to have to admit they made a mistake in buying something, especially that expensive of a mistake.  They feel bad enough about the choice they made, they really don't want it out in the public arena where it will never go away.

I prefer to keep the pre-emission diesels going for my business. it is cheaper than buying the new stuff and the associated complexity and operational costs in both money and downtime.  At least with my heavy truck needs, I can buy new trucks without a motor and trans, and drop in a remanufactured pre-emission engine and remanned trans and virtually have a brand new truck without all this nonsense.  Yes it is legal.  

And it will take a pretty strong need for me to ever consider diesel in a pickup again.  And that need is pretty remote.

I’m going to make a brave assumption that you do not live in a winter climate, when you drive off the lot within 3 to 5 years you are starting to get rust. Hard to get 10-20 years out of a vehicle driven year round in salt...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, xps800doo said:

I’m going to make a brave assumption that you do not live in a winter climate, when you drive off the lot within 3 to 5 years you are starting to get rust. Hard to get 10-20 years out of a vehicle driven year round in salt...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was indeed a brave assumption.  I live in Central Iowa.  I routinely run Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Nebraska, and South Dakota.  I realize that these locations are not north of the Arctic Circle, but they do get chilly and icy occasionally.  And for some reason, the government officials have a predisposition to spreading salt and calcium chloride around part of the year.  Have no clue why the would want do that.

My 2006 Cadillac CTS is still a keeper.  Wife still loves it and it has no body rust, just some light rust on suspension, axles, etc. Still a darn good car and a keeper.  Yes, it gets driven the year round.  Got a snowstorm yesterday, and it was clear enough today that the wife drove 75 miles to her sister's place in the Caddy.  I am pretty confident it got some of that salt the DOT spread around yesterday on it.

Kept my last semi truck to a million miles.  Nope.  Not a rust bucket either.  My current one, I have had for 6 years, have about 810,000 miles on it, it works year round in the upper Midwest, and it only has some light rust issues on frame that in the spring, I clean, neutralize, and paint and it is good for another year.   It is a "glider" truck, where I bought a new chassis/Body and installed a remanned pre-emission engine in it. All perfectly legal.  When the time comes that it needs a new engine, will get another reman crate engine and drop it in.  No use throwing away a good truck.  And the Cadillac, yep it is 12 years old now, but still runs darn good and is in excellent shape for a car that old.  Might just get a crate motor for it also and keep it since nothing now on the lots really impresses me.

Oh, and all my vehicles have to go 2 miles down gravel roads just to get to the highway every time they leave the driveway.  So they also tend to be difficult to keep clean.  And still, they are not falling apart.

Starting to get rust may or may not be an issue.  It depends on where you are getting that rust.  On frames, suspensions, etc, it is essentially a non issue.  It will take many years, even with not addressing it, for frame surface rust to be a problem.  Anyone who doesn't have some surface rust on the underside components has a garage queen for a vehicle.   But that doesn't mean it will be a rust heap in 15 years with some general care.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2018 at 4:01 PM, Cowpie said:

My 2006 Cadillac CTS is still a keeper.  Wife still loves it and it has no body rust, just some light rust on suspension, axles, etc. Still a darn good car and a keeper.  Yes, it gets driven the year round.  Got a snowstorm yesterday, and it was clear enough today that the wife drove 75 miles to her sister's place in the Caddy.  I am pretty confident it got some of that salt the DOT spread around yesterday on it.

crazy on the caddy's i did a brake job on the wife's 2011 srx with 112,xxx miles on it and the under carriage looks bran new! i was really impressed! 

On 3/18/2018 at 4:01 PM, Cowpie said:

I clean, neutralize, and paint and it is good for another year.  

what do you do to neutralize? once the road salt etc is gone i usually just run a crap ton of water on everyplace i can get to.

I get some neutralizing products from https://www.theruststore.com  

I will scrape a little if needed, clean up the areas that need addressed, spray on a neutralizer that converts any remaining rust to a polymer surface that can be painted.  Let it sit for a couple of days and then I use some Rustoleum paint to finish the task. 

Delete while you still can.  I don't know many trouble free emissions diesels... idling and winter time don't mix with this new stuff.  My one employee had an 11 LML and a 16 LML... both had major emissions problems and while still on warranty he deleted both of them.  The 11 was kept to 160000 miles trouble free after and I would say the 16 will be the same way.  Nothing but maintenance and wear and tear items. 

Archived