unrealistic to expect redesign for 2018 Silverado?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not unrealistic the way they do them now. The Chevy Cruze for example. Car came out in 2011, was facelifted for 2015, and 2016 there is now an entirely new Cruze.

How about Silverado? Although the timeframe is much larger of a gap, 1999 debuted the GMT-800, they were "Avalanched" for 2003, and then tweaked for 2005-2006 with the powerdome and a new grille.

Gotta keep them fresh!

2018, if that's the year they go with, I'd be expecting a new frame and new body and interior to go with it. K2 frame is 95% a GMT-900 frame, so the frame will be 10 years old by then, and with upcoming fuel efficiency demands, there will most likely be changes made.

Used to be like 7 years... The 900s were from mid 2006ish to mid 2013 when they re dis the 14s....im glad i got a 14 because the 16 grill... Well... Lets just say i dont like it one bit. The sierra is nice but thats about it.

Maybe ill be trading up my 14 for a 18 if they are better looking.

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

Last I read GM's plan was to have the next generation Silverado come out in 2018 as a 2019 model. Rumors are going around that they plan to use more aluminum for the body and light weight steel for weight reduction . Really havnt heard the engine lineup they plan on using but I did read that a 10 speed transmission they are working on with Ford is possible.

I expect same engines 4.3/5.3/6.2 with possible edition of diesel for 1/2 ton. Expect 8spd transmissions across the board for all models and reduction of overall weight through use of aluminum. Remember, General Motors often gets criticized because they are more about evolution than revolution. Meaning they just improve the weaknesses of a previous generation or model rather than create something entirely new (i.e. 07' Silv & 14' Silv).

aluminum body

3 cylinder turbocharged motors

2.87:1 rear axle ratio

16 speed transmission

plexi windows instead of glass

cant wait

Close, but no cigar.

Frame - aluminum

Bed (inside only) aluminum

All other body panels - plastic like the old Fiero's

engine- 3 cylinder twin turbo DI quad valve DOHC with Hemi heads

Transmission 16 forward 2 reverse

transfer case (4x4) 2wd hi, 2wd low, 4wd hi, low, granny low, AWD hi med and low.

Price starting at $69,999.99 2wd WT

$106874.86 2wd LT

$134568.74 High Country 4wd

:crackup:

2018 is the year. Contract with Alcoa has been signed. The days of letting a vehicle rot on the vine are long gone. GM let the GMT900's rot on the vine and we seen how that worked out. Had to turn to rebates selling trucks instead of the product selling the truck. The market place changes too fast and is too competitive. The current generation shops around. The loyal head in the sand buyers that buy just for a trucks name are dying off.

aluminum body

3 cylinder turbocharged motors

2.87:1 rear axle ratio

16 speed transmission

plexi windows instead of glass

cant wait

There does seem to be a disturbing trend.

Maybe my next truck will be a nice late '60's GMC resto-mod. LS-powered, TH400+OD, custom leather interior, Ridetech, etc., etc. Worth as much or more when you sell it as when you buy it.

Why would a pickup need 16 speed? Might as well give it an 19 speed powershift transmission like the tractor I recently drove.

I'm sure that was the attitude back when Fred Flinstone was using his feet or when their were 4 speeds and then 6speeds to 8 speeds.

Though I think the 10speed will be nice

Archived