unrealistic to expect redesign for 2018 Silverado?

I doubt we will see a major redesign soon, 2021 given the 7 year pace. Fenders and front end changes along with new tail lights etc until then

Although switching to aluminum wouldn't require a model year change I don't think assuming it won't flex given the current design

Model year change? The switch to aluminum requires a complete factory overhaul. Something a heck of a lot bigger than just a model year change. Don't remember what it did for Ford production?

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt we will see a major redesign soon, 2021 given the 7 year pace. Fenders and front end changes along with new tail lights etc until then

Although switching to aluminum wouldn't require a model year change I don't think assuming it won't flex given the current design

2018 is the last model year for K2 1500 trucks. 2019 model year is the T1XX debut (sometime for the 2018 calendar year). They don't keep them long like they used to any more.

When will we see mules if they are going to be for sale next fall, this summer?

I'd like to pick up a 2016 this summer, but it might be worth waiting to see what the next generation will bring.

Probably this year sometime. They may already have some sort of mules running with the current body on them testing any frame/suspension/driveline stuff. The heavy camo trucks would probably show up spring/summer. Those will be the ones with sheetmetal changes.

Back in 2014 GM did announce a pull ahead on the T1XX trucks by 9 months. That was announced in June 2014. http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-rushing-next-generation-trucks-to-market.html

The article states fall of 2018. I'm pretty sure the 2015 F150 put the pressure on, and now the 2018 may have upped that pressure.

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of changes the 2019 Silverado will get . I'm sure more use of aluminum and light weight materials will be used to bring down the trucks weight. I'm curious to see if they bring back the same engine lineup or go with some smaller displacement turbo charged engines . Hopefully some of this info will get leaked out soon .

As mentioned before the 15 ford has put pressure on but i just hope they dont release a poor product due to pressure to get something new out there. After all the issue with the current truck i would rather see a fully tested and solid product vs the latest and greatest that breaks in 6 months.

Personally i am thinking of going backwards next go around. If i am spending $60k i might as well get what i want and a computer playing truck is not what i want. $60k will do a very nice driver resto of an older truck.

I heard that 18 would get seats made by a different manufacturer due to all the complaints since they changed in 2015, my 17 has the most uncomfortable seats of any truck i ever owned of any brand. I will not buy a new model if they stick with the current seat. I cant even trade for a Tahoe or Yukon as all the gm trucks use the same seat, only the top cover changes and its heat /cool options.

From what I've read, contracts, etc etc etc the rumor mill has it at the end of 18 as a 19.

Damn shame too because the K2s are good trucks. In MY experience they are trouble free.

And screw the automotive journals, I personally think the 14/15s are some of the best looking Chevy trucks ever. Right up there with the late 50s.

But that is just one man's opinion, and that's why they redesign vehicles, they take more than the input of one person.

Though I will not be in the market, I hope they keep the current engine lineup with progression (I personally like GM's evolution as opposed to Ford's revolution methodology), keep MyLink, fix the transmissions (no problems here but I want em to have a good rep), and keep the boxy styling. Love the boxy styling. Makes it look tough, as a truck should.

Here's hoping they build a winner.

I heard that 18 would get seats made by a different manufacturer due to all the complaints since they changed in 2015, my 17 has the most uncomfortable seats of any truck i ever owned of any brand. I will not buy a new model if they stick with the current seat. I cant even trade for a Tahoe or Yukon as all the gm trucks use the same seat, only the top cover changes and its heat /cool options.

Here is a link to the planned or speculated new seats. http://thenewswheel.com/next-gen-silverado-sierra-will-have-better-seats-thanks-to-better-supplier-contracts/

• 1 month later...

Archived