Android Auto Update Arrives

Flogging a dead horse here. I have a 2016. Ordered it in May 2015. Had it delivered in September 2015 . I have never tried to use Auto android until just recently.

I phoned dealer to make an appointment to have this update done in May 2016. He said he would get back to me. He never did. About a month ago I went in far a free oil change and asked for the update. He talked to a few other service guys and came back and said it would cost an hours labour because I waited so long. I said no thanks.

So today after watching youtube videos on this I thought I would really try and get it working. I hit the projection button and it say device not recogniZed. Samsung S5 with all updates

What should I do?

Edited by decee

Flogging a dead horse here. I have a 2016. Ordered it in May 2015. Had it delivered in September 2015 . I have never tried to use Auto android until just recently.

I phoned dealer to make an appointment to have this update done in May 2016. He said he would get back to me. He never did. About a month ago I went in far a free oil change and asked for the update. He talked to a few other service guys and came back and said it would cost an hours labour because I waited so long. I said no thanks.

So today after watching youtube videos on this I thought I would really try and get it working. I hit the projection button and it say device not recogniZed. Samsung S5 with all updates

What should I do?

Well it doesn't work because you didn't do the update. Pay the hours labor and get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure if this helps I contacted GM customer service about this update a few weeks ago and they told me that as long as I was still under the three year full warranty that I should not be charged for the update. So I went back to my local dealer and told them where I got this info after that they decided to do the update under the warranty. One other thing In just looked it up and the update number is 16-NA-042.

Edited by 03dyna
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 3/2/2016 at 8:02 PM, salem185 said:

Fear not, Android fans, General Motors has you covered finally. As promised, Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC and Buick have all announced the Android Auto update is now ready to go for vehicles equipped with the eight-inch MyLink/IntelliLink/CUE systems.

The update may only be performed by your local Chevy, Cadillac, Buick or GMC dealer at no cost to the owner, but the software must updated to Android Lollipop (5.0) or later.

Every vehicle within each brand’s portfolio is eligible for the update, and inbound releases, such as the 2017 Cadillac XT5 and 2016 Cadillac CT6 will arrive with the update installed. One sour spot, however: the 2016 Cadillac SRX will not be eligible for the Android Auto update, as the crossover is phased out in time for the XT5 to take its place.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/03/android-auto-update-arrives-for-chevrolet-cadillac-gmc-and-buick-vehicles/

Little late to the topic, but I just called my local Dealer. Guy kind of played dumb for a minute, then told me with a long yeaaahhhh there is a free update. So long story short taking my truck in next Monday for the update!!! Thanks for the heads up!

4 hours ago, Jerm1791 said:

Little late to the topic, but I just called my local Dealer. Guy kind of played dumb for a minute, then told me with a long yeaaahhhh there is a free update. So long story short taking my truck in next Monday for the update!!! Thanks for the heads up!

Is this update for the 2015 in your profile?

6 minutes ago, DCazares said:

Won't work on a 2015 since Android Auto wasn't released until the 2016 models.

This is what I always thought.

17 minutes ago, Jerm1791 said:

Sure is.

Let us know how this goes. If they're updating 2015's I'm getting on the phone ASAP and getting my Silverado done 

27 minutes ago, juscuzram said:

This is what I always thought.

Let us know how this goes. If they're updating 2015's I'm getting on the phone ASAP and getting my Silverado done 

I'll let you know how it goes. When I called the dealership, I told him I have a 2015 sierra. And I am wondering if it is eligible for the android CarPlay update. Guy said yes, so fingers crossed this is true. But I was just did some more searching, and now you have me second guessing. Lol we'll see what happens. 

On 6/6/2018 at 3:55 PM, Jerm1791 said:

I'll let you know how it goes. When I called the dealership, I told him I have a 2015 sierra. And I am wondering if it is eligible for the android CarPlay update. Guy said yes, so fingers crossed this is true. But I was just did some more searching, and now you have me second guessing. Lol we'll see what happens. 

Any luck?

On 6/6/2018 at 4:55 PM, Jerm1791 said:

Your dealer is wrong -- it's not going to work.

Was not available on 2015's and even some of the early 2016 builds still had leftover 2015 HMI's so it wasn't available on some of those either (GM offered those owners a small cash payback).

• 1 year later...
20 hours ago, countryguy1717 said:

Anyone have an update on this? I have a 2014 Sierra with the 8" screen with intellilink.  Every dealer I called said they've never heard of upgrading to mylink with android auto and couldn't find the tb 16-NA-042

I noticed you posted a bunch of places and got responses on some of the other threads.  The reason the dealers say they haven't heard of it is because GM doesn't do it.  That Tech Bulletin only applies to late-build 2016 model year trucks.  In order to do it to a 2014-2015 (and some early-build 2016's) you need to replace numerous components in your truck with similar ones from newer model years:

• HMI
  • radio module
  • possibly USB ports

These MUST be programmed to your VIN BEFORE they are installed.  There are many threads on here and if you use the Search field in the upper right corner you will find them.  Also contact "GTPrix" or "th3magpi3" and they can get you a quote to do the programming and can help you find the correct part numbers for the hardware you need to buy.  Plan on spending anywhere from $500-$1000 depending on what features you want to add.

Edited by sk