Converted to E85

Just converted my 2016 Chevy Silverado LTZ 5.3L Double Cab to run E85 same as my 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L. The Chevy did not come from the factory as a flex fuel, but the GMC did, these are the GM parts I used to do the conversion these parts are for a double cab only.

20967866 Flex fuel sensor clip

13577429 Flex fuel sensor

23171538 Hose

20967834 Hose

23158923 Pipe

23171537 Pipe

If you were to do a Club Cab the two hose's would be different everything else is the same. Did not do a flash as the computer recognized the sensor.

Edited by bobbobtar
  • Like 4

I'm gonna have to try this. What did the sensor "plug into" to allow the ecm to recognize the sensor?

The harness plug cover has a little plastic stud that holds to the frame (when it's not used) it just below where the sensor plugs into the frame. After you do the install plug the harness connector into the sensor which will tell the computer what the octane number is and make the adjustments.

Edited by bobbobtar
  • Like 1

Just converted my 2016 Chevy Silverado LTZ 5.3L Double Cab to run E85 same as my 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L. The Chevy did not come from the factory as a flex fuel, but the GMC did, these are the GM parts I used to do the conversion these parts are for a double cab only.

20967866 Flex fuel sensor clip

13577429 Flex fuel sensor

23171538 Hose

20967834 Hose

23158923 Pipe

23171537 Pipe

If you were to do a Club Cab the two hose's would be different everything else is the same. Did not do a flash as the computer recognized the sensor.

You should change your gas cap to reflect it as well. Not that are many full service gas stations left anymore... or people that have common sense... but IF you find both, they may refuse to pump E85 into an unleaded capped tank.

I didn't have time to do the install myself so local shop did the install. From looking at parts, it's all plug and play. The Pipe is short 8" piece of flexible hose that has OEM fitting on it that connects the front and back fuel line to the sensor.

Do you not need a tune to turn on the e85 capability? I feel like just adding the sensor would not do anything since you aren't telling the computer to adjust timing/spark for additional octane .

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/180793-flex-fuel-conversion-everything-you-need-to-know/?do=findComment&comment=1728414

It is laid out in the thread above. Carl T is the local GM tuner in MN that I personal use from my race car, and explains that the you need to enable the sensor in the ECU.

Edited by transam69230
  • Like 1

I would completely advise against running e85 in your truck until you get the ECU tuned.

Would you completely advise against running E85 in a 2016 flex fuel truck? According to my tech. there is no provision on the 2016 trucks to flash or turn on E85 he spent half an hour looking for that option in the ECM and BCM maybe that was an option for 2014-2015 trucks doesn't look like it is now, what Carl was talking about was a 2015 truck.

Edited by bobbobtar
  • Like 1

So if the truck is a "flex fuel truck" then why didn't it have the sensor already? That indicates that it is not setup for flex fuel in my opinion.

If your tech is a GM service technician I would take that with a grain of salt and do your own homework on it.

You could certainly be right, but it I'd verify that with a tuner that uses an aftermarket tool such as HP tuners.

• Like 2