6.0 vs 5.3

I pulled the trigger on a 2016 Sierra 2500 HD CC. I traded my 2014 Chevy Silverado CC. Main reason we're the miles I was accumulated during the first 2 years.. Sitting on 81,000 miles the a/c went out, trans slipping, electronic locks stopped working... Ugh long story that's just a few issues! Anyway... After buying my new truck, I did alittle digging on the 6.0 motor vs the 5.3.. Me not being a motor head or much about engines at all believed that the 6.0 would have major increases in torque & HP compared to the 5.3... I was wrong and left in shock..

This is what I found on the 6.0:

HP- 360 @ 5400

Torque- 380 @ 4200

5.3-

HP-355 / 250 @ 5600 (gas SAE certified)

Torque-383 / 519 @ 4100 (gas SAE certified)

I do understand you gain the ability to haul more weight with the 2500, but don't you think they would give the 6.0 more advantages HP/Torque wise to bear the pain when spending 3-6g more on price!? Just my .2$

Coming from a 5.3 w/ 308 rear end, I'm much happier to say the least.... It wasn't hard to get me out of that truck and make me happy:)! Love my new truck

The 6.0 is a workhorse, not very powerful for its size but they are bulletproof. The 5.3 is more for the light duty pickups that the average homeowner will tow or haul something seldomly

Congrats on the new truck!!!

There was more of a difference between the two motors power wise until the new gen 5.3 came out in the '14 model. The 6.0 has not been updated, YET. I say it that way due to many, many people wanting and dreaming about the next gen HD gas motor. They can't wait!!! Lol Hoping for more power, between fuel mileage, etc. the 6.0 is an awesome motor that still competes with the other two (6.4 & 6.2).

Other difference is the 6.0 is still an iron block while the 5.3 has been an Al block for some time.

Congrats on the new truck!!!

There was more of a difference between the two motors power wise until the new gen 5.3 came out in the '14 model. The 6.0 has not been updated, YET. I say it that way due to many, many people wanting and dreaming about the next gen HD gas motor. They can't wait!!! Lol Hoping for more power, between fuel mileage, etc. the 6.0 is an awesome motor that still competes with the other two (6.4 & 6.2).

Other difference is the 6.0 is still an iron block while the 5.3 has been an Al block for some time.

Yeah, the 4.10 is a major deal, and take a close look at torque curves for both engines. The 6.0L L96 hits 90% of available torque at 2000 RPM, the curve from then on is mild on up to the top. Much better than the 5.3 torque curve. A better working RPM band that meets work truck needs. And, of course, no AFM. How it delivers power is equally as important as the power rating. Great intake and exhaust setup straight from the factory to maximize the band of the engine. Only a need to drop the trash can muffler and put a nicer sounding straight thru. I put a Magnaflo on mine.

I fully appreciate the GM hasn't walked away from this setup. 3/4 of the 2500/3500 market is commercial, and this setup is one that a lot of commercial users like. Reliable, capable, long lasting, etc. GM has to really watch it how they change things. if they goof up, they will lose a large commercial segment and take years to recover. I like things just the way they are.

I agree.. The numbers are close and fool the average consumer such as myself until driven.. It's a night and day difference. The 4.10 rear end is phoenomal! I haven't seen the curve charts for the torque etc.. that's my fault for not doing that research...

I forgot to mention the AFM!!! Good god... I'm so happy it's gone. that was the biggest dread of mine on my old Silverado. There is no lag compared to this beast.

You mentioned dropping the garbage can muffler.. Yes it's huge!!! I've been known for always changing my exhaust.. My 2014 had a 10 series by FM. Loved it. Until v4.... Awful. Wanted to shoot myself! I'm excited to drop this huge can of metal they call a muffler and throw something new on... I've read a few different opinions.. Has anyone dropped the muffler and simply threw a fill in piece ? How's the sound, any noticeable performance change? How is the magnaflow muffler on this truck, what model did u choose?

Congrads on the new 2500, there the workhorse truck not the racehorse truck. I wouldnt get to worried about the numbers just the physical size over your old 1500 will make it a comfortable puller. Mine has a nice 2800 payload which means I can carry everything I want period and still hookup and pull my trailer. Lets see some pictures of that new ride

HP- 360 @ 5400

Torque- 380 @ 4200

NO AFM !!!

5.3-

HP-355 / 250 @ 5600 (gas SAE certified)

Torque-383 / 519 @ 4100 (gas SAE certified)

AFM

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/175052-how-is-the-new-60/?hl=afm

Forgive me but I didn't understand the 355 / 250. Or the 383 / 519. ?? Why are there 2 numbers for torque and HP?

Archived