Run a tank of 91+ in your 6.0.

The only reason to run 91 or 93 is if you have high compression. Other than that it isn't doing anything for you.

I also agree with this, but at 9.7:1 I'd say that's in the range where using premium can be of help

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l96/#tab-2

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

You can all say what you wish, and to each his own..but as I said before I have always own a v8 and always noticed the truck ran lot smoother and better with higher octane. An I dont mind spending the extra few bucks to get it.

Also, doesnt using the higher octane keep the engine cleaner? Just makes sense...

I also agree with this, but at 9.7:1 I'd say that's in the range where using premium can be of help

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l96/#tab-2

How do you know what gen you have?

As I pointed out here: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/186574-premium-gas-in-a-53l-gmt900/, I also can feel a better performance of the engine.

Not in a meaning of a 50hp gain. But a way smoother acceleration and better pulling power in the lower rpm.

The trans can stay longer in higher gears.

Again, the truck did not become a high performance car. But the difference is noticeable.

so long

j-ten-ner

• Like 1

You can all say what you wish, and to each his own..but as I said before I have always own a v8 and always noticed the truck ran lot smoother and better with higher octane. An I dont mind spending the extra few bucks to get it.

Also, doesnt using the higher octane keep the engine cleaner? Just makes sense...

How do you know what gen you have?

He who has the title, can do as he wishes, I don't have any issues with that. I always hope though that people make their decisions based off of good information, and not just " well I think it works better " gas stations love to sell premium gas to people who don't know better by implying your vehicle will run better and-or-cleaner by using it over regular.

Fuels have ratings based on there applications, diesel fuel is rated in Cetane, which is the fuels ability to combust under pressure. Gas is rated in octane, which is the fuels ability to avoid combustion under heat. The higher the octane, the hotter it has to be before it ignites.

Like in a diesel, in a higher compression engine, the more you squeeze the fuel air mixture, the hotter it gets, causing the mixture to explode before the spark can ignite it ( which is before top dead center) this is called detonation, or pre-ignition... or PING. So.... there's two ways to deal with detonation, use a higher octane fuel, or retard your timing. Running these new trucks with the computers will allow you to use regular, with out any ill effects because the computer will sense this detonation ( knock sensor) and it'll pull timing to compensate.... read loss of power. Throw the high test at it and the computer will add some timing.... read gain in power.

As for a cleaner engine... that's purely based on the additives that have been added to the fuel... shell comes to mind here with what they advertise...

Edited by rocnrol
  • Like 3

He who has the title, can do as he wishes, I don't have any issues with that. I always hope though that people make their decisions based off of good information, and not just " well I think it works better " gas stations love to sell premium gas to people who don't know better by implying your vehicle will run better and-or-cleaner by using it over regular.

Fuels have ratings based on there applications, diesel fuel is rated in Cetane, which is the fuels ability to combust under pressure. Gas is rated in octane, which is the fuels ability to avoid combustion under heat. The higher the octane, the hotter it has to be before it ignites.

Like in a diesel, in a higher compression engine, the more you squeeze the fuel air mixture, the hotter it gets, causing the mixture to explode before the spark can ignite it ( which is before top dead center) this is called detonation, or pre-ignition... or PING. So.... there's two ways to deal with detonation, use a higher octane fuel, or retard your timing. Running these new trucks with the computers will allow you to use regular, with out any ill effects because the computer will sense this detonation ( knock sensor) and it'll pull timing to compensate.... read loss of power. Throw the high test at it and the computer will add some timing.... read gain in power.

As for a cleaner engine... that's purely based on the additives that have been added to the fuel... shell comes to mind here with what they advertise...

Spot on

• Like 1

As I pointed out here: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/186574-premium-gas-in-a-53l-gmt900/, I also can feel a better performance of the engine.

Not in a meaning of a 50hp gain. But a way smoother acceleration and better pulling power in the lower rpm.

The trans can stay longer in higher gears.

Again, the truck did not become a high performance car. But the difference is noticeable.

so long

j-ten-ner

I was actually not referring to you, i did get that from your response...lol :thumbs:

I'm skeptical these engines are pulling timing on 87 octane but maybe...

At almost 10:1 compression, the engine would be prone to detonation using regular gas. If this condition happens, the computer will pull timing for sure.

I'm skeptical these engines are pulling timing on 87 octane but maybe...

I could hear it. That was the whole reason I tried a tank of 91. The computers knock sensors are a lot more sensitive than my ears are.

-Eli

• Like 1

Really a non issue for me. I generally fill with E15 or higher so 89 octane is lowest mine gets. And cheaper both in pump price and even cost per mile including the little lower mpg from higher ethanol blends. Would be kind of stupid to put 91/93 premium in the tank when I could put 100 E85 in the tank for $1.20 a gallon cheaper.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had my 5.3 tuned by black bear. When he was reading my stock tune, he told me that the computer was making up for the motor knocking most of the time it was running. He told me to run the higher octane. He said my 5.3 (2011) was a little higher compression then GM claimed it to be. I know that's a 5.3 but the but I think higher octane is always better in a gas motor.

• Like 2

I had my 5.3 tuned by black bear. When he was reading my stock tune, he told me that the computer was making up for the motor knocking most of the time it was running. He told me to run the higher octane. He said my 5.3 (2011) was a little higher compression then GM claimed it to be. I know that's a 5.3 but the but I think higher octane is always better in a gas motor.

I concur...

• Like 1

I could never see using premium as an option, but a mid grade could be the cat's meow and a cost effective option.

Edited by Cowpie

I could never see using premium as an option, but a mid grade could be the cat's meow and a cost effective option.

Im not trying to be rude, but are you just being cheap? Whats few cents per gallon when your vehicle likes it better and drives better, and the detergents in the higher octane keeps it clean...

A few cents a gallon? Try about 50 cents per gallon difference. And $1.10 lower than premium if I use E85. I am a business man. Everything to me is about cost per mile and cost benefit. There is no appreciable cost benefit to me to use premium, engine could care less and no change whatsoever. Never has been. I have done multiple tanks of E0 regular, E10, E15, E20, E30, and E85. I know the average mpg I get from each fuel. As prices fluctuate seasonally, I put in the fuel that delivers the lowest cost per mile. And E20-E85, I am getting mid grade to over premium octane levels. I have stated, why would I put 93 premium in my tank at $2.89 a gallon in my area, when I can put 100 octane E85 in the tank for $1.79 a gallon, and even with the lower fuel mileage, still end up costing less per mile than with premium? E15 is 89 octane in my area, and the octane goes up with each higher blend.

Call it being cheap if you like. Doesn't bother me. I call it just not being stupid.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 4