Run a tank of 91+ in your 6.0.

Well, if is only about octane and power, screw the Premium and fill up with E85, at least the flex fuel varieties of the L96. Heck with 91 or 93, E85 has 100 octane. Sure, the mpg isn't all that great, but no lameness in performance. Can't speak to the L96, but the 5.3 vortec gained an additional 10 hp and roughly 10 lb torque on the official GM dyno charts when using E85. If the price spread is good, E85 could actually be cost effective even with the lower mpg.

My 2500 will average around 11 for all miles on E85, whereas it typically averages just under 14 on E10 87 fuel. That average is all miles.... off road, daily gravel roads, some towing & hauling now and then, highway, in town, etc. With E85 in my area averaging around $1.69 a gallon, at 11 mpg, that is about 15 cents a mile fuel cost. As of about 30 min ago, Premium is going for $2.77 in my area according to Gas Buddy. Just to match the cost per mile on E85 with Premium, I would have to get 18+ mpg average for all miles. Not going to happen. E85 wins the cost per mile game, and the octane war too. Of course, it is all relative to what part of the country one lives in, the period of the year, etc as to whether the numbers work out the same or not.

That is the problem with blanket statements like one fuel is better than another. It all depends on where one lives, the prevailing price of fuel, and the final cost per mile one fuel has vs another.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

compression is only part of the equation. combustion chamber shape, quench area and distance, operating temps, afr, bore, stroke, rod length, valve timing, cylinder head material all influence detonation resistance. a 10:1 closed chamber 327 needs premium, an l96 does not. there is a reason engineers specify particular fuel grades for different vehicles.

as long as these engines last and as good as they run on 87, how could anyone possibly think they need 93?

Edited by i82much

Because many of us have noticed an increase in performance and sometimes even fuel economy when running premium! Hard to believe for some, but it's true! Otherwise we wouldn't have brought it up! You can try to use science to your hearts content to explain how it shouldn't happen, but it happens! WOOHOO!!! :cheers:

Because many of us have noticed an increase in performance and sometimes even fuel economy when running premium! Hard to believe for some, but it's true! Otherwise we wouldn't have brought it up! You can try to use science to your hearts content to explain how it shouldn't happen, but it happens! WOOHOO!!! :cheers:

let's just say i am circumspect. people report great things about sugar pills in scientific studies, too. If you think premium is doing something for you, go to town.

• Like 2

The fuel economy part of the argument is relative to the cost per mile. Not arguing that their might be better performance or smoother running. That is one thing. But the fuel economy argument is relative to fuel cost. What good does it do to get 2 mpg better fuel economy using premium, when it is actually causing one to pay more per mile to do it? I would rather have the lower fuel economy and pay only 13 cents a mile getting it than be getting better fuel economy but actually am paying 15 cents a mile to achieve it. I am out 2 cents a mile. No thanks. I'll keep the lower fuel economy and save money.

But it still begs the question... why would premium be needed for performance in an engine that calls for regular fuel? If it is due to a problem using the regular, then best to take a look at what might be going on with the engine. Using premium to overcome a performance problem could be masking a more serious issue with the motor that needs to be taken care of.

Not really sure that some people actually understand what octane is for. Octane does not impart any BTU energy into the fuel, so how one is getting better performance from premium in a good working engine designed for 87 octane fuel is a bit of a mystery to me. Octane is an ignition inhibitor to prevent pre-detonation of the fuel. It actually slows the rate of combustion. If one is having a knock or pre-detonation issue, then that says there is carbon buildup or other combustion chamber deposits that are elevating the compression ratio to cause that problem. And a pre-detonation issue could explain why a engine "falls on its face" under a hard pull.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

The fuel economy part of the argument is relative to the cost per mile. Not arguing that their might be better performance or smoother running. That is one thing. But the fuel economy argument is relative to fuel cost. What good does it do to get 2 mpg better fuel economy using premium, when it is actually causing one to pay more per mile to do it? I would rather have the lower fuel economy and pay only 13 cents a mile getting it than be getting better fuel economy but actually am paying 15 cents a mile to achieve it. I am out 2 cents a mile. No thanks. I'll keep the lower fuel economy and save money.

But it still begs the question... why would premium be needed for performance in an engine that calls for regular fuel? If it is due to a problem using the regular, then best to take a look at what might be going on with the engine. Using premium to overcome a performance problem could be masking a more serious issue with the motor that needs to be taken care of.

Not really sure that some people actually understand what octane is for. Octane does not impart any BTU energy into the fuel, so how one is getting better performance from premium in a good working engine designed for 87 octane fuel is a bit of a mystery to me. Octane is an ignition inhibitor to prevent pre-detonation of the fuel. It actually slows the rate of combustion. If one is having a knock or pre-detonation issue, then that says there is carbon buildup or other combustion chamber deposits that are elevating the compression ratio to cause that problem. And a pre-detonation issue could explain why a engine "falls on its face" under a hard pull.

So you're telling me my truck was built with carbon buildup as a factory option? I will look to have that option deleted on the next truck...pre-deposited carbon option, check.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Obviously not Mr. Sarcastic. But it doesn't take a lot of bad fuel to cause that issue early on, especially when combined with any oil that is getting into the intake via the PCV. It can happen to any low mileage engine as well as a high mileage one. If the engine is built with 87 octane in mind, but it take a higher octane to make it run properly, the main culprit is usually a deposit issue on the piston crowns.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

I see this thread starting to go side ways, I diden't buy a 6.0 for mileage..just saying

Idgits in little econo boxes have a habit of saying to me when I'm filling up, "Must be awfully expensive to run that". I'll look @ their car & say, "Must be awfully difficult to haul any lumber with that". That usually shuts them up & they go about filling up their car.

• Like 1

Good one, revrnd! Reminds me of back in the 70's when I had married a nurse in the Army after I was medically evacuated from the country club garden party in Asia the U.S. Government had invited me to. She was in a local off base convenience store one day before going to her shift on base and was picking up a pack of smokes. A heavy set woman was behind her in line and mentioned that "as a nurse, you should know those aren't healthy for you!". Lisa turned around and looked at the woman and said..."Yeah? And so is being fat!" Shut that woman down quick!

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 2

There has been a lot of good information posted to this thread and I have learned some things. Thanks to all.

But, since this thread is going sideways anyway...

They should put the 6.2l LT1 in these trucks. Corvettes have more hp and torque and get 30 mpg. Of course they don't tow worth a damn and can't haul much, plus you have to use premium gas.

Also - Cowpie - thank you for changing your photo. Watching you squeeze that frog wasn't fun.

Is it urged to run E85 vs gasoline on the 2016 6.0 flex fuel engines? I've just been running 87 since I bought the truck

No it is not urged. Having a flex fuel vehicle just means you have a choice. Choice is gooooooooooooooooooooood. Until the liberal scumbags take the choices away from you with new laws and what not. ::clears throat::

• Like 2