Run a tank of 91+ in your 6.0.

35 minutes ago, Cowpie said:

One of the aspects to E85 is that it cools the intake air into the cylinder, which makes the air in the combustion chamber more dense.   That leads to a more efficient burn.   It is one of the aspects that allows some engine developers to run significantly higher compression ratios in E85 specific engines like the Cummins Ethos engine and the Ricardo 3.6 EBDI engine.  

One thing for certain, there are significantly lower combustion deposits with higher blends of ethanol.  There is  a pretty good video on this, and ethanol use in general. Covers blends of methanol, ethanol, and pure gas and wear on engines.  One thing that many use as a claim against ethanol... formation of formaldehyde and such... is actually an issue with Methanol, not Ethanol.

My Main problem with it it water phasing.  I just dont want to worry about water in the fuel system.  

32 minutes ago, EZTundra77 said:

My Main problem with it it water phasing.  I just dont want to worry about water in the fuel system.  

The main way I prevent that is not putting water in my fuel tank.  If one gets enough water in the fuel tank to cause the phasing problem, they are probably leaving the fuel cap off during a rainstorm. I have been using high blends of ethanol for the last 6 years, and E10 since the late 70's.  I have never experienced or heard of it in any vehicle.  Only in open fuel systems like lawn mowers, chainsaws, and other OPE.  I suppose it has happened to a vehicle, but I would also bet that there was some other mitigating reason it did.... like leaving a tank not full for extended periods of time.  No matter what fuel one is using, if one is going to leave a vehicle sitting for extended periods they should either drain the tank or fill it to the brim along with adding some fuel stabilizer.  Most of those phase separation claims are from those who left a quart of the stuff sitting in an open container on a work bench.... just to prove the point.   Hardly an unbiased scientific certainty.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic also, but also being a closed system like modern auto fuel systems per the EPA, any issues are remote.

Edited by Cowpie

11 hours ago, Cowpie said:

The main way I prevent that is not putting water in my fuel tank.  If one gets enough water in the fuel tank to cause the phasing problem, they are probably leaving the fuel cap off during a rainstorm. I have been using high blends of ethanol for the last 6 years, and E10 since the late 70's.  I have never experienced or heard of it in any vehicle.  Only in open fuel systems like lawn mowers, chainsaws, and other OPE.  I suppose it has happened to a vehicle, but I would also bet that there was some other mitigating reason it did.... like leaving a tank not full for extended periods of time.  No matter what fuel one is using, if one is going to leave a vehicle sitting for extended periods they should either drain the tank or fill it to the brim along with adding some fuel stabilizer.  Most of those phase separation claims are from those who left a quart of the stuff sitting in an open container on a work bench.... just to prove the point.   Hardly an unbiased scientific certainty.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic also, but also being a closed system like modern auto fuel systems per the EPA, any issues are remote.

So that totally makes sense. I have never had a water issue either.  Can anyone else confirm this? Has anyone actually had water issues with E85 in a regularly driven vehicle using using common sense fuel fill interval?  I believe you Cowpie.  I just have a real hard time switching to such a different fuel after 25 years of pump gas.  I do like the horsepower bump.    

Yeah, there is so much internet hype and misinformation regarding so many things and ethanol is one of them.  And with many things that exhibit a problem, it was usually due to incompetence by someone.  But just like the saying you whisper in someone's ear in a classroom and is repeated to each student and by the time it gets to the last student it is not what was said at the beginning, ethanol problems get blown way out of proportion.   

I had a 1974 Pontiac Catalina.  Obviously not designed for ethanol use.  Carbureted 400 V-8.  From the late 1970's thru its death by body cancer in the mid 90's, it got fed E10.  It never had a single fuel related issue in over 250,000 miles.  Engine was still good even though the car body was not.  Steel fuel tank unlike the poly fuel tanks of today.  Fast forward to modern flex fuel designed vehicles. The risk of a problem is far more remote.  But given the internet folklore surrounding ethanol, it is understandable that many have reservations about using the stuff.

Edited by Cowpie

1 hour ago, Cowpie said:

Yeah, there is so much internet hype and misinformation regarding so many things and ethanol is one of them.  And with many things that exhibit a problem, it was usually due to incompetence by someone.  But just like the saying you whisper in someone's ear in a classroom and is repeated to each student and by the time it gets to the last student it is not what was said at the beginning, ethanol problems get blown way out of proportion.   

I had a 1974 Pontiac Catalina.  Obviously not designed for ethanol use.  Carbureted 400 V-8.  From the late 1970's thru its death by body cancer in the mid 90's, it got fed E10.  It never had a single fuel related issue in over 250,000 miles.  Engine was still good even though the car body was not.  Steel fuel tank unlike the poly fuel tanks of today.  Fast forward to modern flex fuel designed vehicles. The risk of a problem is far more remote.  But given the internet folklore surrounding ethanol, it is understandable that many have reservations about using the stuff.

That makes sense. And DUDE...I had a 1970 Catalina 4 door hard top.  MInt green.  I bought it in '93 from down south with 60k.  Beautiful specimen.  That 400 MOVED.  I loved that car.  Mine was pre-EPA.  Took leaded gas.  I had to add the substitute. It was a sleeper-looked ilke Granny's grocery getter.  .  I'd have built cars pull up next to me and I would just spank 'em.  They all made tons of power before the EPA castrated the big 3.  For good reason of course.  

So it seems the only 2 drawbacks to running E85 are:

-could already have phase separation if it's in the gas station tank too long.  I have no idea what the turnover of E85 is.  

-It seems to increase the frequency of oil changes which would tell me it runs dirtier.  If not in the combustion chamber, than at least in the crankcase.  

I appreciate you guys helping me sort through this.  I'm close to switching.  I have service stations near me that peddle the moonshine gas

So I just read this on Edmunds: https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html

The only reason I'm considering the switch is for horsepower on a stock tuned 6.0 L96.  This E85 Tahoe got worse 0-60 and 1/4 times running E85.  And they spent more money on overall fuel in the above test.  Maybe when I get a Diablo tune, I will run E85, but if I'm not making more power, I'm not spending more money.  And I dont buy into the environmental argument.  Ethanol is renewable but it's cost negative.  And it screws up the actual food economy.  Horsepower first.  Then Brain power.  Then the environment.  

• Like 1

So that totally makes sense. I have never had a water issue either.  Can anyone else confirm this? Has anyone actually had water issues with E85 in a regularly driven vehicle using using common sense fuel fill interval?  I believe you Cowpie.  I just have a real hard time switching to such a different fuel after 25 years of pump gas.  I do like the horsepower bump.    
I ran e85 only in my 14 5.3 never a issue and got great mileage. My 15 burb 5.3 only uses e85 and gets 22mpg hwy. No issues. Regular oil changes at every 3k miles syntec blend. My 15 2500 6.0 e85 but mileage isnt as gd lol, i even towed this summer 10k+ lbs with e85 and would see about 6 mpg avg threw ny mountains. Havent had any gas issues in any vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

So I just read this on Edmunds: https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html

The only reason I'm considering the switch is for horsepower on a stock tuned 6.0 L96.  This E85 Tahoe got worse 0-60 and 1/4 times running E85.  And they spent more money on overall fuel in the above test.  Maybe when I get a Diablo tune, I will run E85, but if I'm not making more power, I'm not spending more money.  And I dont buy into the environmental argument.  Ethanol is renewable but it's cost negative.  And it screws up the actual food economy.  Horsepower first.  Then Brain power.  Then the environment.  
I ran bully dog 93 tune on e85 cause they said i could and truck ran worse than when on stock. And this is on my 15 6.0

15 minutes ago, cmysstailights said:

I ran e85 only in my 14 5.3 never a issue and got great mileage. My 15 burb 5.3 only uses e85 and gets 22mpg hwy. No issues. Regular oil changes at every 3k miles syntec blend. My 15 2500 6.0 e85 but mileage isnt as gd lol, i even towed this summer 10k+ lbs with e85 and would see about 6 mpg avg threw ny mountains. Havent had any gas issues in any vehicles.

Can I ask why you run E85?  I totally believe that you don’t have problems but the math doesn’t add up. Do you get more power? 

1 hour ago, cmysstailights said:

I ran bully dog 93 tune on e85 cause they said i could and truck ran worse than when on stock. And this is on my 15 6.0

I used to be dead set against E85bevause my 5.7 tundras called for oil changes twice as often when running e85. Recently I’ve been reconsidering but I just don’t get it. Why do you need more frequent oil changes?  With current prices it costs more to run e85.  If people do it to help the environment, I can see that. I recycle. I compost. I get that. I don’t think e85 is much better if at all for the environment.  If we lived in Brazil and could grow sugar cane...maybe

Edited by EZTundra77

In my 5.3 i did. In my 6.0 havent noticed it. It comes down to cost per mile. Especially when i tow. 1.75 gal at 6mpg vs 2.41 gal at 8mpg is a big savings. Fro. What ive read, ebgine runs cooler and little more efficient. In my 14 1500 i did notice more power and better shifting. When i had that car the price spread was 1.00 a gallon. Now its .70. I break even at this price spread.

I used to be dead set against E85bevause my 5.7 tundras called for oil changes twice as often when running e85. Recently I’ve been reconsidering but I just don’t get it. Why do you need more frequent oil changes?  With current prices it costs more to run e85.  If people do it to help the environment, I can see that. I recycle. I compost. I get that. I don’t think e85 is much better if at all for the environment.  If we lived in Brazil and could grow sugar cane...maybe
In all my cars i alway do oil changes every 3000 miles regardless. More comea down to motor hours not miles. I live in a congested area and spend more time driving light to light. Also was told penny wise pound foolish, had a 01 burb with over 300k hard miles and truck is still going strong after i sold it.

11 minutes ago, cmysstailights said:

In my 5.3 i did. In my 6.0 havent noticed it. It comes down to cost per mile. Especially when i tow. 1.75 gal at 6mpg vs 2.41 gal at 8mpg is a big savings. Fro. What ive read, ebgine runs cooler and little more efficient. In my 14 1500 i did notice more power and better shifting. When i had that car the price spread was 1.00 a gallon. Now its .70. I break even at this price spread.

I’m not arguing. But with the above stats, you’ were paying 30¢ per mile either way before. Now at, at only 70¢ different, you’re spending more on E85

Edited by EZTundra77

I use this app, based off my numbers its .01 difference. Computer takes 2 tank fulls to readjust and if i feel like it i could blend the fuels by alternating fuel type each week. For some reason e85 is hoveri g around 1.75, at its lowest point it was 1.37. If gas gets to 2.30 then i will switch. Maybe back in my mind i like to see the $35 to $40 fill up weekly as opposed to the $50 to $60 i did see on 87cb5999afac12b59b72192133395c501c.jpg