AC compressor already??!!

WELL thank you so much for your OPINION, it added so much to the discussion.

ANYWAY GM IS PAYING for 600.00 of the 1150.00.. The dealer is saying the reason they are doing this is some of the 2014 trucks that were made in the first part of the year have a different (cheaper) compressor than the later 2014 trucks.

I hope I have the same luck as you. My A/C stopped working today while it was 101° outside. I have a 2014 Silverado with 53k miles. I can see the compressor running and see it stop when I turn off the A/C. Praying it only needs a recharge. Edited by drcubanb

I hope I have the same luck as you. My A/C stopped working today while it was 101° outside. I have a 2014 Silverado with 53k miles. I can see the compressor running and see it stop when I turn off the A/C. Praying it only needs a recharge.

Dealership says there is a hole in the side tank of my condenser.

Replace Condenser + Evacuate & Recharge = $812 before tax

open a claim with gm. you are not that far out of warranty. if you have all of the service records and work done available, that will help. they probably will not pay for the whole thing, but might help with some, or most of the cost. it is worth a shot, I have done this with a 99, a 2004 and a 2008. water pump, master cylinder/brake booster and a steering rack on two of them. only claim I have had denied complete was the large fuse box (I forget the name) under the hood on my 2008. 1 fuse bank (just 1 fuse slot) went out and it was for my third brake light.

How do I open a claim?

call the toll free number in your owners manual. when you speak to a customer service agent, explain what is going on and that you wish to open a claim on your truck for reimbursement of he failed part. nothing will happen right away as far as money, but they will give you a claim number and a contact (probably the person you talk too) to see what gm will or can do for you. let the dealership know that you have opened a claim and pass on the number to your advisor. good luck!!!!

You sound like a broken record. Always inferior parts from China or Mexico. Please post a link to support your claims. Or please post a link to high quality USA parts.

Thanks.

I have three GM vehicles at this time. I typically buy parts from the local Chevy dealer because I get the wholesale pricing. Almost every part I get, whatever it may be from a complete door panel (replaced under warranty twice) to a backup light lens are made either in China or Mexico. Many brake parts are made in South Korea. My experience with Chinese made GM parts sold by GM dealers is not good. Quality is hit and miss, some are complete garbage with ridiculous price tags. Korean made parts seem of much better quality than Chinese or Mexican made ones.

It is not that every GM part made in China or Mexico is defective. As I said, quality is inconsistent and probability of part failure is therefore higher. And you will always have this phenomenon when you make parts in a third world country where you really cannot enforce consistent quality control if your primary goal is to get these parts as cheap as possible and you are willing to use cheap component parts to make the final product.

Instead of being a tiring GM shill, look the reality in the eye for once and address the issue for what it is worth.

Edited by pm26

Dealership says there is a hole in the side tank of my condenser.

Replace Condenser + Evacuate & Recharge = $812 before tax

Consider buying an aftermarket condenser and have an independent A/C shop do the work. You may be able to do this for 1/2 the quoted price.

• Like 1

Consider buying an aftermarket condenser and have an independent A/C shop do the work. You may be able to do this for 1/2 the quoted price.

^This. The rate will be cheaper at another shop, and you'll save money on parts. Rock Auto is your friend. You'll save a lot of money going this route.

My AC went out 2 weeks ago at 35,800 miles on early 2014 model 1500 z71. I called immediately, but wasn't able to schedule an appointment and get into the dealership shop until today. Unfortunately, I'm now at 36,300 miles, so I was very worried that I'd be out of warranty coverage. Luckily, the dealership went with the mileage that I mentioned on the phone a few weeks ago.

They just told me that my compressor failed - it was still engaging, so I'm not sure what the failure was. They are replacing it, free of charge. Looks like this will be my last warranty service, hopefully everything else is mechanically sound (for a while)!

Agree with pm26 on both responses.

Nothing is made like it used to be. China, Mexico etc.

I fixed the wife's Honda with parts from Rock Auto. Compressor, drier, expansion valve, oil and freon bought local for half dealer cost and $300.00 less than local shops.

Been working for 2 years.

Brother in law has a evacuation pump but you may be able to rent one. :happysad:

• Like 2

I have three GM vehicles at this time. I typically buy parts from the local Chevy dealer because I get the wholesale pricing. Almost every part I get, whatever it may be from a complete door panel (replaced under warranty twice) to a backup light lens are made either in China or Mexico. Many brake parts are made in South Korea. My experience with Chinese made GM parts sold by GM dealers is not good. Quality is hit and miss, some are complete garbage with ridiculous price tags. Korean made parts seem of much better quality than Chinese or Mexican made ones.

It is not that every GM part made in China or Mexico is defective. As I said, quality is inconsistent and probability of part failure is therefore higher. And you will always have this phenomenon when you make parts in a third world country where you really cannot enforce consistent quality control if your primary goal is to get these parts as cheap as possible and you are willing to use cheap component parts to make the final product.

Instead of being a tiring GM shill, look the reality in the eye for once and address the issue for what it is worth.

So, back when almost all cars were made in America, nothing broke? I guess I missed that era of perfect quality.

So, back when almost all cars were made in America, nothing broke? I guess I missed that era of perfect quality.

How old are you? You might be too young to have lived in that era.

What era is that exactly? The same trend has been going on for decades - vehicle quality continuously improves, for the most part. The introduction of electronic gizmos over the last decade has slowed the trend, but vehicle quality is continuously improving. pm26's claims of lessened quality due to foreign parts sourcing is COMPLETELY unfounded. There is empirical data all of the internet that contradicts his claims. JDPowers is the easiest to find.

2010099graph.jpg

Probably the era before you were old enough to drive from your response. I am not quoting JDPowers or Consumer Reports or any other internet claim. PM26 is correct in my general opinion, except I can't say that Korean parts are any better. I base my observations on my personal experiences. So I guess that the 1994 Impala SS that I bought new and kept for 21 years that NEVER went back in the shop and only had oil changes and 1 tail light bulb go out was poor quality from Arlington Tx using mostly American parts. Or maybe the 1995 Silverado that had nothing but oil changes and a set of brake pads. How about the 1982 Silverado that only had normal maintenance for that era of vehicle? Had a 1976 Caprice that was kept for 18 years that never had anything other than wear items replaced. Or we could fast forward to the 2005 Grand Prix that had an alternator, and about 10 window regulators (import crap from Mexico and China), radio, weather stripping, blower motor, blower relay, the steering wheel get that gummy crap oozing, transmission switch/solenoid and other issues that I can't think of right now. Just to be fair, I put 220K on the 76 Caprice, 190K on the 82 Silverado, 280K on the 95 Silverado, 58K on the 94 SS and 115K on the Grand Prix.

Currently still have the 2001 GMC and the only real issue with it has been pinion bearings failing until I had it rebuilt out of warranty. Used good bearings and no more trouble. It only has 308K on it and the motor has never had a valve cover off, original transmission, and just had the AC compressor replaced.

So claiming that quality is getting better is painting with a very broad brush. To say that China made parts are just as good is just talk. Come back in 15 years and lets see how well they held up.

Getting back on topic, crap does break, but AC compressors should last at least 100K miles if not more. Of all my vehicles, the 01 Sierra is the only one I have ever lost a compressor, and it was the clutch that failed, not the internals.

One person's experience is not anecdotal evidence of anything. JDPowers and others gather data from millions of vehicles over many years. The trend is very clear - quality has increased steadily over time.

My first vehicle was a 1994 Cheyenne w/ 4.3L - new transmission at roughly 100k miles. Also replaced the water pump and alternator twice each in under 150k miles. The seats tore. The dash cracked from Texas heat. The mirror fell off the window. Left door handle broke off.

1996 Silverado - rebuilt transmission twice within 175k miles. Piston slapping when cold forever. R&R intake manifold at 50k miles for leaking coolant. Timing chain replaced at 150k. Weak lifter for years. AC compressor at 30k miles. Same problems with water pumps and alternators - twice. Fuel pump at 125k. Both rear axle seals needed replacing at 125k. Cracked plastic all around interior. Rear side window wouldn't latch properly most of life and whistled at highway speeds. Both door handles also broke off - driver's twice.

2003 Yukon w/ 208k miles - no problems ever with transmission. Water pump and alternator once each. Fuel pump at 40k. TB Position sensor failed at 100k. AC compressor at 175k. One door lock relay failed. Instrument cluster failed. Otherwise trouble free for 13 years.

I agree, stuff "should" last longer, and in general it is. But there will always be parts that fail prematurely. To blame it on foreign manufacturing is fictional.

• Like 1