AC compressor already??!!

Truck bought new towards the end of 2014. In 2 years I've put 38k on it just had the AC compressor freeze up. Judging by this board the AC in these are a problem. The dealer wants 1150.00 to fix.

Does anyone know if there is any way to petition to get help from Chevy on the issue since this seems to be an issue with this year truck?

Truck bought new towards the end of 2014. In 2 years I've put 38k on it just had the AC compressor freeze up. Judging by this board the AC in these are a problem. The dealer wants 1150.00 to fix.

Does anyone know if there is any way to petition to get help from Chevy on the issue since this seems to be an issue with this year truck?

You have 38k on your truck so you are out of the full coverage warranty. GM does not owe you anything past that point. Yes, AC compressors do go out on some vehicles with lower mileage, it happens. This is the joy of owning something with moving parts, they tear up sometimes.

You have 38k on your truck so you are out of the full coverage warranty. GM does not owe you anything past that point. Yes, AC compressors do go out on some vehicles with lower mileage, it happens. This is the joy of owning something with moving parts, they tear up sometimes.

I would rephrase your statement a bit. It is not normal at all for a decent quality A/C compressor to go out in 38k miles. My experience with later model cars and trucks has been at least 100k miles to A/C compressor failure, and even those which failed at 100k+ miles, the problem was always with the compressor clutch bearing.

I blame shoddy parts quality that GM is using nowadays. I would bet that these compressors are made in China or Mexico and build quality is hit and miss. That does not stop GM from asking outrageous part prices for these parts. No doubt that the compressor component parts are also as cheap as possible. If they use a cheap clutch bearing and it seizes, you will need a new compressor clutch as they typically do not service just the bearing, although it is possible in many cases just to replace the bearing. The cost of A/C compressor clutch (if it is even available separately) often exceeds 80 to 90% of the complete new compressor cost). Which makes this option not very economical.

If you replace the whole compressor, you must also replace the receiver/dryer, and often the expansion valve, and recharge the system, which incurs additional costs.

Edited by pm26
  • Like 1

open a claim with gm. you are not that far out of warranty. if you have all of the service records and work done available, that will help. they probably will not pay for the whole thing, but might help with some, or most of the cost. it is worth a shot, I have done this with a 99, a 2004 and a 2008. water pump, master cylinder/brake booster and a steering rack on two of them. only claim I have had denied complete was the large fuse box (I forget the name) under the hood on my 2008. 1 fuse bank (just 1 fuse slot) went out and it was for my third brake light.

I would rephrase your statement a bit. It is not normal at all for a decent quality A/C compressor to go out in 38k miles. My experience with later model cars and trucks has been at least 100k miles to A/C compressor failure, and even those which failed at 100k+ miles, the problem was always with the compressor clutch bearing.

I blame shoddy parts quality that GM is using nowadays. I would bet that these compressors are made in China or Mexico and build quality is hit and miss. That does not stop GM from asking outrageous part prices for these parts. No doubt that the compressor component parts are also as cheap as possible. If they use a cheap clutch bearing and it seizes, you will need a new compressor clutch as they typically do not service just the bearing, although it is possible in many cases just to replace the bearing. The cost of A/C compressor clutch (if it is even available separately) often exceeds 80 to 90% of the complete new compressor cost). Which makes this option not very economical.

If you replace the whole compressor, you must also replace the receiver/dryer, and often the expansion valve, and recharge the system, which incurs additional costs.

You sound like a broken record. Always inferior parts from China or Mexico. Please post a link to support your claims. Or please post a link to high quality USA parts.

Thanks.

No, I shouldn't and won't rephrase what I said because it is true. I get to see trucks at a different vantage point than the majority on here. My company has almost 200 trucks in their fleet and they get replaced every 3 to 4 years (usually when they hit 150k miles). With that many trucks I get to see what does go wrong and no matter what the brand of truck there are some where stuff starts tearing up early, it just happens.

• Like 1

Sir I din't say they owned me anything. I ask if there was anyway to have them look at the situation. There is and I did. The truck is a $54,000 truck.. I just feel less than 2 years in a major component is ridiculous eslecislly when the truck has been driven like a car and dealer maintained.. It's not a fleet truck that is getting beat up.

Sir I din't say they owned me anything. I ask if there was anyway to have them look at the situation. There is and I did. The truck is a $54,000 truck.. I just feel less than 2 years in a major component is ridiculous eslecislly when the truck has been driven like a car and dealer maintained.. It's not a fleet truck that is getting beat up.

How is it ridiculous? And what does the cost of the truck have to do with your AC? That like saying that your $100 toaster oven should last longer because you bought a $1M house.

I haven't heard of this being a systemmic issue, so you're just unfortunately unlucky. Everything will fail eventually.

• Like 1

Sounds like you need a new dealer. $1150? A new compressor is $498 from GM. Labor time is 1.4hrs per Mitchell. The AC belt is a strechy belt so to remove it, it gets cut. AC belt is $72.10. Say labor is $100/hr. That would be $140 for labor, plus $498 and $72.10. Add $40 in R134a plus say 1 hour to recover and recharge the system. That's $810.10 before sales tax. Even if they add in R+R for the AC belt and serp belt at a total of 1.1 hours in addition to the 1.4 for compressor, they are still $200 high. And if they are adding the belt labor at the full time, they are greedy. If they add say .5 for the belts instead of the full 1.1...its still less.

I am pretty sure that everyone will agree that the AC compressor should last more than 38K miles. As mentioned above, most will last in excess of 100K miles or more (I got 280K out of the one on my 01), BUT things do fail. There is a pretty good chance if the OP is nice, GM and the dealer will help him out if not totally take care of it.

Just to address the "fleet truck" theory, the AC system will last just as long in a fleet or rental environment. Its not like you can abuse it because the truck hauls a load or it gets hot rodded.

Sounds like you need a new dealer. $1150? A new compressor is $498 from GM. Labor time is 1.4hrs per Mitchell. The AC belt is a strechy belt so to remove it, it gets cut. AC belt is $72.10. Say labor is $100/hr. That would be $140 for labor, plus $498 and $72.10. Add $40 in R134a plus say 1 hour to recover and recharge the system. That's $810.10 before sales tax. Even if they add in R+R for the AC belt and serp belt at a total of 1.1 hours in addition to the 1.4 for compressor, they are still $200 high. And if they are adding the belt labor at the full time, they are greedy. If they add say .5 for the belts instead of the full 1.1...its still less.

They also have to replace the receiver/dryer and expansion valve from what I understand.

How is it ridiculous? And what does the cost of the truck have to do with your AC? That like saying that your $100 toaster oven should last longer because you bought a $1M house.

I haven't heard of this being a systemmic issue, so you're just unfortunately unlucky. Everything will fail eventually.

WELL thank you so much for your OPINION, it added so much to the discussion.

ANYWAY GM IS PAYING for 600.00 of the 1150.00.. The dealer is saying the reason they are doing this is some of the 2014 trucks that were made in the first part of the year have a different (cheaper) compressor than the later 2014 trucks.

• Like 1

ANYWAY GM IS PAYING for 600.00 of the 1150.00.. The dealer is saying the reason they are doing this is some of the 2014 trucks that were made in the first part of the year have a different (cheaper) compressor than the later 2014 trucks.

Good to see that GM and the dealer were able to do the after warranty assistance deal. Hopefully you can get it back on the road and drive it again ASAP!!

Sounds like your dealer is feeding you bull. There has not been any major complaints on this site about AC units going out on 2014 trucks. Do a search for other brands of trucks/cars on AC units going out and you will find others with the same crappy luck.

You're welcome. My opinion added as much to the discussion as your complaining did.

• Like 2