Engine Tick - 2015 GMC Sierra 5.3

1 hour ago, dalek77 said:

Welp, sprayed white lithium grease around boot and..... it friggen works. Not one tick..... I was thinking about taking a piece of high heat sound proofing material and wrapping it around part of the steering column. Should absorb any reverbaration up the column.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ha glad to hear - If I had the parts I'd do what 20165.3Eco did. But the white lithium has been holding up well over the past few weeks. Only hear slight ticking after rain/cooler weather, then goes away again.

What really needs to happen is GM needs to fix this s*** now that we found their problem

Ha glad to hear - If I had the parts I'd do what 20165.3Eco did. But the white lithium has been holding up well over the past few weeks. Only hear slight ticking after rain/cooler weather, then goes away again.

What really needs to happen is GM needs to fix this s*** now that we found their problem
I left my service manager a voicemail about it and asked him to call GM about it.

5 hours ago, kport08 said:

I also used some grease on the inside side of the steering column.

Try that 

Ha, I don't know if I would call it awesome but it sure is quiet. I am too busy to mess with it much right now but I will probably try and either install a new boot or make a quality piece with one of my Bridgeport capable buddies in the spring. If this one comes off I will just cut another 10 cent tube plug and install. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a G8 that had a nasty tick I spent a year trying to diagnose. It made the car undrivable and it just sounded terrible.   Exhaust manifold gaskets, I even rebuilt the rockers with a trunion upgrade.  Every upgrade I did made it a tiny bit quieter.  Finally found out that a firewall grommet had come loose from when I ran a boost gauge line into the car. Reseated it and the noise "went away" completely.  

That car didn't even have DI. If the cab isn't completely sealed off you will hear noise. Perhaps pump some thick chassis grease in there?  Aresol white lithium isn't very thick and you may only be partly sealing it.  

On 10/31/2018 at 8:23 PM, Yondu said:

I had a G8 that had a nasty tick I spent a year trying to diagnose. It made the car undrivable and it just sounded terrible.   Exhaust manifold gaskets, I even rebuilt the rockers with a trunion upgrade.  Every upgrade I did made it a tiny bit quieter.  Finally found out that a firewall grommet had come loose from when I ran a boost gauge line into the car. Reseated it and the noise "went away" completely.  

That car didn't even have DI. If the cab isn't completely sealed off you will hear noise. Perhaps pump some thick chassis grease in there?  Aresol white lithium isn't very thick and you may only be partly sealing it.  

thanks for the story, validates our issue. 

And also thank you streetdegree, just called a local dealership and I'm going today to meet with a tech and show him the service bulletin. going to a different dealership this time because I can't stand the guys I've been seeing about this

14 minutes ago, jasinger said:

thanks for the story, validates our issue. 

And also thank you streetdegree, just called a local dealership and I'm going today to meet with a tech and show him the service bulletin. going to a different dealership this time because I can't stand the guys I've been seeing about this

I found that the customer service reps weren't relaying the proper info to the technicians. It might help to leave a note in your truck asking to look up the bulletin number. 

When I booked it in this last visit, i felt like the guy didn't take note of half the info i gave. Like the noise goes away when cranking the wheel hard left. This was my 4th visit regarding this issue, and 2nd time saying the turning left "fix". 

When I dropped off the truck, another guy took the keys and I mentioned it again. He checked the system and nothing was noted. I told hime about the bulletin and it seemed like he made note. 

Couple hours goes by and I get the phone call saying that information helped a lot. 

Good luck, the fix is out there.. Lol

13 minutes ago, Streetdegree said:

I found that the customer service reps weren't relaying the proper info to the technicians. It might help to leave a note in your truck asking to look up the bulletin number. 

When I booked it in this last visit, i felt like the guy didn't take note of half the info i gave. Like the noise goes away when cranking the wheel hard left. This was my 4th visit regarding this issue, and 2nd time saying the turning left "fix". 

When I dropped off the truck, another guy took the keys and I mentioned it again. He checked the system and nothing was noted. I told hime about the bulletin and it seemed like he made note. 

Couple hours goes by and I get the phone call saying that information helped a lot. 

Good luck, the fix is out there.. Lol

thanks for the heads up, I will be persistent but I'm definitely relieved the fix is out there. I'll get it done one way or another. I made an appointment to meet with a tech so hopefully that'll help.

thanks for the heads up, I will be persistent but I'm definitely relieved the fix is out there. I'll get it done one way or another. I made an appointment to meet with a tech so hopefully that'll help.
Please let us know if the new boot fixes it. More validation would be helpful before I drop my truck off again for the 5th time. Lol

You know, I’ve been trying to figure this out for years! The steering boot has to be the fix, when the dealership replaced my steering sensor from a clicking noise it made the sound was gone for a month, I thought maybe it just worked itself out. It returned later and we tried replacing the vacuum pump and fuel line check valve, it probably stopped because they messed with that steering column! I’ll show this bulletin when I bring my truck in next time, this has to be the fix! I’m so damn happy the noise is going to be gone, it was driving me absolutely insane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/2/2018 at 11:07 AM, dalek77 said:

Please let us know if the new boot fixes it. More validation would be helpful before I drop my truck off again for the 5th time. Lol

the guy at the counter was practically rolling his eyes at me telling me it is just DI noise until I forced him to read the bulletin and he was definitely surprised. Their next availability for a loaner is the beginning of next week so I'll drop it off then. he said they need to replicate and recognize the noise before they start working on it

• 2 weeks later...

my truck is FIXED, finally. It's like I have a brand new truck, this has been driving me crazy for a year and a half. They did the TSB but the tech said he still heard something so they took my dash apart and found a rattle that they insulated. 

I think this makes sense because even when my truck wasn't doing the "ticking" it still had another sound that was a little more subtle but bothered me so I guess both got addressed! This was Gengras in East Hartford CT they were great to deal with. The tech said he couldn't imagine living with a vehicle that made noise like that for so long

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jasinger said:

my truck is FIXED, finally. It's like I have a brand new truck, this has been driving me crazy for a year and a half. They did the TSB but the tech said he still heard something so they took my dash apart and found a rattle that they insulated. 

I think this makes sense because even when my truck wasn't doing the "ticking" it still had another sound that was a little more subtle but bothered me so I guess both got addressed! This was Gengras in East Hartford CT they were great to deal with. The tech said he couldn't imagine living with a vehicle that made noise like that for so long

Do you have the bulletin number?