Engine Tick - 2015 GMC Sierra 5.3

36 minutes ago, 2016LTCC said:

Fellas I’m done ranting about these pos gm trucks. If I wasn’t in the middle of a move and new home purchase I’d be rid of this truck. I’d like to find a fix to this ticking noise and share with all of you but at this point on top of the ride, interior, axles, and leaf springs... sorry I mean the whole truck Ill be trading for the first good ford or ram deal I find. Cheers 

I hear you sir, it's definitely exhausting. And I'm in the same boat...there are other things going on with my truck as well...leaf spring creaking noise...interior plastic parts rattling...etc...this thing is 18 months old...with a $50K window sticker??

These trucks aren't built with 100% quality in mind...engineers are taking cheap routes...but not entirely their fault...GM execs have shareholders to appease and they've pushed for new designs in a limited time frame (i.e forcing engineers to cut corners)...

Anyways, I'm not giving up yet...I think we're close to a fix for this...lots of things have been ruled out...I'll be working on my "steering" theory over the weekend and will keep y'all update. Anyone taking their truck in keep us posted please. At the end of the day if we don't find a fix (6 months or so) then yes I'll be driving a F-150 pretty soon after haha

2 hours ago, 2016LTCC said:

Jobs not hard but then again I’ve been doing this work for many years. 150 dollar gamble on the ticking noise and the house won again. I just read a review on the 2019 Silverado and apparently the ride and interior haven’t improved so it’s safe to assume other issues may follow. I understand the grass may not be greener on the other side but when I start to compare gm to ford or ram it’s like nothing about my truck is a winner other than the looks. I think Chevy went backwards with the new model making it look and ride like a 2014 tundra. 

Tundra rides way better than the K2 Silverados.  Hopefully the T1 generation rides better with the new suspension setup.

Anyone figure this out yet? I noticed today that yes when you rev and turn wheel without moving then it’s gone for a min while driving then the first big bump you hit and the whole dash and front end feel like an earth quake it comes back. Other times when you hit a bump or the suspension droops it goes away. Biggest pita I’ve ever had. FU Chevrolet. 

49 minutes ago, 2016LTCC said:

Anyone figure this out yet? I noticed today that yes when you rev and turn wheel without moving then it’s gone for a min while driving then the first big bump you hit and the whole dash and front end feel like an earth quake it comes back. Other times when you hit a bump or the suspension droops it goes away. Biggest pita I’ve ever had. FU Chevrolet. 

Not yet...narrowed it down to 1. steering or 2. high pressure vacuum pump (I've read other threads that some have had luck with it/making similar noise/etc.). I tried looking over the steering this past weekend but haven't found anything external that appears to be loose/making the noise (if it's this then it's probably coming from under the tie rod boots or inside the "rack & pinion" piece).

I'm taking it to the dealership ASAP next week to have the service department take a look at those two items. I'm going to let them know about the "turning of the wheel" lock-to-lock scenario - I have audio/video recordings of this now. I'm hoping by showing them this they can do a more thorough search/disassembly or full replacement.

I will keep looking and testing this week/weekend and report back if found or fixed - if not off to the dealer it goes. I'm not stopping until this crap is fixed! Stay tuned!

Booked it in for my last free oil change for Wednesday. I had a tech sit in it and I demonstrated how to silence it. He looked baffled. 

I also asked if the wax on the frame was covered since its showing a couple spots of bare metal. Which it is! 

So hopefully by Thursday evening, I'll have a free undercoating and dead silence.. 

I have a question that may amount to nothing but here goes.

Of you all who have the annoying tick, how many had your motor mounts replaced for rough idle per the TSB?

I had mine done, the truck was dead quiet before. I didn't notice the noise for a while but it started after I had put maybe 5000 miles on after the motor mount swap.

Just curious. 

42 minutes ago, 20165.3Eco said:

I have a question that may amount to nothing but here goes.

Of you all who have the annoying tick, how many had your motor mounts replaced for rough idle per the TSB?

I had mine done, the truck was dead quiet before. I didn't notice the noise for a while but it started after I had put maybe 5000 miles on after the motor mount swap.

Just curious. 

No never had motor mounts replaced but I may check torque now. 

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:48 AM, Blk17Machinep said:

All the gripe about me saying it’s just gm quality on page 24 I believe and here we are lol. 

Ive said it all along fellas, we got screwed by gm on these trucks. GM has been trash since they left the slogan like a rock. It’s like a plastic now. Will be going blue oval next. Already one in driveway 

The Blue Oval is plastic also. :loser:

Oh, and so is the Chrome Sheep. :loser:

29 minutes ago, dalek77 said:

I drove a brand new 2018 with the same setup as mine. Guess what. Ticking noise..... although quieter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I replaced my vacuum pump as well and no change. I’m telling you it’s design issue and gm has no care to fix it.