Engine Tick - 2015 GMC Sierra 5.3

1 hour ago, AdamGMC2017 said:

KBB average trade was $40k.  They have me $38k.  Like I said, same number at 3 difference places.  If you were buying new, you could get a thousand or two more.

Nice. Visually, I'm having trouble with the fords. I bought my truck because it was exactly what I wanted with the color match package. Ford offers nothing that I like nearly as much. Just love the idea of driving on the highway without this ticking every day.

4 minutes ago, AdamGMC2017 said:

I don't like them as much visually either.  But you can get a Lariat "Sport" that has same color bumper, grill, door handles, etc. 

Yeah those aren't horrible, just sort of blah compared to the GM's. plus every one I find like that is ecoboost

51 minutes ago, kport08 said:

Wish I would have replied sooner but I supposes trading in for a Ford might not be a bad idea.

Pretty sure I have located where the noise is coming from - try this to see if the noise goes away:

1. Put in neutral and rev engine around 1,000 - 1,5000 rpm (you should be able to here it ticking)

2. Turn steering wheel all the way to the left while in that rpm range (haven't tried turning right yet) and you'll note that the noise disappears 

3. Let off the gas and bring to an idle then turn wheel back to center

4. Noise should be gone when accelerating both in v4 and v8 mode

The noise completely goes away when i do this - whether doing city driving or on the highway, it's completely gone...There are only two causes that would make it go away, 1) the steering boot is letting the noise in and reseals itself after turning the wheel or 2) the steering assembly - from the boot all the way to the tie rods - is making the noise somewhere.

Makes sense when going over bumps that the noise goes away...something has to be loose/rattling down there. The steering assembly and components are all electronic now (new design) and does not run off of engine power. I believe the noise gets louder due to engine vibration (i.e. rattling the steering assembly which is located right under the engine).

It's a wild guess but thought I'd share. Let me know if the above works for any of you all.

Son of b!tch.. That worked.. Thank you so much 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2016LTCC said:

So do you have to do this every time the ticking starts 

I just did the one experimentent. Its definitely bang on the money. It came back as I started driving.

I'll be going in for my last freebie oil change soon. It'll be my 3rd attention to have this addressed. 

At least now we can demonstrate how to silence the sound to a tech.. 

Narrows down the guess work bigtime. 

3 hours ago, AdamGMC2017 said:

I had put adhesive sound deadener all around the steering boot and firewall.  No help.

Thanks for confirming. Then it's has to be the steering shaft/electronic rack & pinion/tie rods/etc...anything to do with steering...I know that's a lot of "ifs" to check off though.

Things I've ruled out:

-exhaust...from stock headers all the way to the tail pipe (but that flapper value located just before the muffler definitely makes noise during idle but can only be heard outside the truck)

-fuel...fuel lines/high pressure pump/injectors (anything to do with fuel feed...others have said no change)

-serpentine belt/pulleys...others have had them changed with no change

-lifters...others have said the noise returned

33 minutes ago, 2016LTCC said:

So do you have to do this every time the ticking starts 

Yes, unfortunately. This is only a temporary fix, an annoying one at that but still a fix. 

After I leave the truck sitting for a few hours the noise comes back and I have to repeat the process and it goes away.

27 minutes ago, Streetdegree said:

I just did the one experimentent. Its definitely bang on the money. It came back as I started driving.

I'll be going in for my last freebie oil change soon. It'll be my 3rd attention to have this addressed. 

At least now we can demonstrate how to silence the sound to a tech.. 

Narrows down the guess work bigtime. 

Yeah I have had an instance where the noise did returned while driving...so I put the truck in neutral and did the process over again at a red light lol and it went away again

11 hours ago, AdamGMC2017 said:

Don't knock the 3.5L ecoboost.  Faster and better towing than than the 5.0. Also faster than the 5.3L.

just because it's faster doesn't mean it's a better engine.  the 3.5 egoboost has many issues and shady reliability. 

looking forward to trying this when I have the chance. anyone planning on showing their dealer? I was there yesterday for an oil change and they screwed up my TPMS. Said they wouldn't pair to the ECU and then sent me home. So now I have a dash light on..

2 minutes ago, dalek77 said:

My service manager and service tech acknowledged the tick finally! They tried new fuel line and new style exhaust clamp, but still ticks. He said to bring it back until it's fixed, so that's good news. They're really trying.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Definitely let us know