Happy with your seatbelt recall fix?

Got mine back yesterday, no cuts made as i requested and looks the same as before. Why gm is telling dealers to cut this cover is beyond me because the dealer easily performed the recall without the need to hack it up.

People these are your trucks not GM's or your dealers, they need to perform these fixes to your satisfaction within reason and not theirs!

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I inquired with GM Canada on getting the New/Unsold vehicle fix. They told me to talk to the Service Manager and get him to ask the Regional Rep. So I talked with the Service Manager about it and he said he was having a meeting with the rep last Friday.

So my vehicle had an oil change today and last week I told the recall guy that I did not want to have the fix done until I sorted everything out with the Service Manager. Well the service manager calls me today about getting the new vehicle fix and informed me that they would not be able to do the new vehicle fix. Then he informs me that the recall (hack job) was already done this morning. I came straight out and asked him if he owned a $55,000 truck and they were going to do that fix to it, would he personally accept that fix? He basically wouldn't answer me and finally I got it out of him that ya it is not a great fix.

I guess I will have to see what it looks like when I go to pick it up. Oh ya and I had asked them if there was any concern with the emergency brake cable rubbing against the body mount on the frame. They said when you bring it in for your oil change we will take a look. Guess what according to them it is no concern and they want to charge me $35 for looking at it. Arggg.

they want to charge me $35 for looking at it. Arggg.

WHAT? :confused:

Is your truck under warranty? I'd find me another dealer.

No just out of warranty. But I basically asked the service adviser if they had seen that. He volunteered that they would take a quick look and now they want to charge me for it. And literally it is a 2 minute thing to look at it. I highly doubt they spent 15-20 minutes looking at it.

He said their solution is to rotate the sleeve on it every now and then. Then it will wear evenly. ROFL :lol:

No just out of warranty. But I basically asked the service adviser if they had seen that. He volunteered that they would take a quick look and now they want to charge me for it. And literally it is a 2 minute thing to look at it. I highly doubt they spent 15-20 minutes looking at it.

He said their solution is to rotate the sleeve on it every now and then. Then it will wear evenly. ROFL :lol:

Unless they do things difference in Canada, it doesn't matter if the truck is under warranty or not to fix a recall. There are recalls done to vehicles over 5 years old or odler that's way out of warranty but recalls are still done at no charge. It only should cost you time and the gas to go there and back. If that's also how they do things in Canada then don't go back to that dealer ever again.

Unless they do things difference in Canada, it doesn't matter if the truck is under warranty or not to fix a recall. There are recalls done to vehicles over 5 years old or odler that's way out of warranty but recalls are still done at no charge. It only should cost you time and the gas to go there and back. If that's also how they do things in Canada then don't go back to that dealer ever again.

I don't think there is a recall on the emergency brake cable rubbing against the body mount on the frame. I would think it is a possible safety issue, but to charge him, OUT FRICKEN RAGOUS!

I don't think there is a recall on the emergency brake cable rubbing against the body mount on the frame. I would think it is a possible safety issue, but to charge him, OUT FRICKEN RAGOUS!

I must not have seen another post from him. Being in a seatbelt recall thread I assumed that's what he was talking about.

But ya, any place that just have decent rep won't charge to look at it. Places with good rep will have good enough people to be able to tell you right off the bat what it could be before even test driving.

Personally if I had to pay anything out of pocket for service I'm not going on any dealership's property. Local good shops are way better, especially with big jobs.

There is no recall for the emergency brake cable. GM Canada told me to get my dealer to look at it the next time I took it in as they were not aware of it.

I talked with my sales person and told him I was not impressed once again with the service they were providing. Explained they did the seat belt recall when I told them not to, wanted to charge me for something that GM wanted them to look at, and then on top of that wanted to charge me $120 to replace the clamp on the heater core hose (engine side). In the end my sales person (who is awesome) sorted out the whole emergency brake cable charge and all is good. They didn't do too bad of a job on the seat belt recall fix.

And yes I would agree that dealers suck. I prefer the local shops myself as they are generally more honest, less expensive and do a way better job. Only reason I am going to the dealer is because I get 7 years free oil changes...

'No such thing as "free" oil changes, you paid for them one way or another.' While that is true - you're gonna pay the same price whether you take advantage of the 'free' oil changes or not - so may go ahead and use them.

My dealer throws in an extra year of free (2) oil changes. I'm sure it's to get you in to find other work they can charge to you/GM. So while the oil changes may be "free", they're hoping to get more money out of somebody.

'No such thing as "free" oil changes, you paid for them one way or another.' While that is true - you're gonna pay the same price whether you take advantage of the 'free' oil changes or not - so may go ahead and use them.

My dealer throws in an extra year of free (2) oil changes. I'm sure it's to get you in to find other work they can charge to you/GM. So while the oil changes may be "free", they're hoping to get more money out of somebody.

I've always done my own oil changes and any maintenance that I could handle. But, that's what I figured when I bought my '14 is that the oil changes and tire rotations were probably worked into the price of the truck. So I figure I let them do those 2 things until they ran out. Especially since it takes 8 qts of oil. On the other hand it's not much when compared to the price of the truck so maybe the only reason they do that is hoping you'll keep coming back to the dealer to have other stuff done. I'll only go to the dealer if it's under warranty. If I have to pay anything I'd just go to an actual local shop.

Well I just looked today and they cut the rubber on my truck too to do the seatbelt fix. I'm not necessarily happy about it but I really don't care. This truck has so many other flaws and rusted frame spots and crap that this ranks at the bottom of the list as far as satisfaction of quality goes.

I took my truck to the dealer today to get the AC fixed and I told them I didn't want them to cut the tabs. I was told okay, and then when I got the call that I was finished I asked about the recall and they said they didn't do it and I would have to sign the liability form. I'm not signing that paper Bc I want to find a dealer to do the fix without cutting. What do y'all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took my truck to the dealer today to get the AC fixed and I told them I didn't want them to cut the tabs. I was told okay, and then when I got the call that I was finished I asked about the recall and they said they didn't do it and I would have to sign the liability form. I'm not signing that paper Bc I want to find a dealer to do the fix without cutting. What do y'all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked my dealer and they said they have to cut it or they would be liable for not doing the repair as GM instructed.

Archived