Happy with your seatbelt recall fix?

The dealer did a reasonably neat job on my seat belt fix. I'm not uptight about it. By the time I trade this truck in, it will have nearly 200,000 miles on it. It will have a worn interior, some paint chips and maybe a ding or two. A razor cut on a piece of plastic on the seat belt will make zero difference.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine was pretty jacked up. I may just get my dremel out and touch it up. I was a little suspicious when the hitch and seatbelt recall was done in under 30 minutes.

bac3b5c4ab60a1c7e6c4b73ff3c159e2.jpg

Is your seatbelt fraying in the upper part of that picture? If so they probably should have replaced the entire belt ...

Awhile back, I sent an email to GM to complain about this approach, with a link to this thread. This lead to several calls from a GM rep named Danielle in GM Executive office with a bit of back and forth. In the end it was a waste of effort on my end, but I expected that going in. What is interesting in the discussion is that the GM rep kept using the word "incisions" to try to downplay what they are doing. "The dealership is just making incisions". More importantly, they told me that the pictures in this thread are *not* the right way to do the recall, but GM doesn't want to get involved in a 3rd party forum about it even though they have social media personnel in this forum. I pointed out the bulletin shows this is the way it should be done, including pictures, and her reply was that was an old copy of the bulletin. Here only recourse at that point was for me to go talk to the service manager at my dealership on exactly how he will do it, which I didn't because its clear how he will do it from the bulletin. She said that an engineer was going to mail me a letter explaining the right way to do it that I could talk to my dealer about. To date, I've received no letter, which isn't a surprise to me.

Damn i forgot all about this. I need to get this done still

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Well maybe it's a good thing since you also need the airbag module reprogrammed for the latest recall so you can get them both done in one trip.

Well maybe it's a good thing since you also need the airbag module reprogrammed for the latest recall so you can get them both done in one trip.

Oh theres another too. Well damn lol #3 right?

1. 4WD always engaged

2. Seat belt

3. Airbag

I havent been in since my last oil change in June? Maybe July

Thanks for the heads up. Havent driven my truck in over a week, im missing it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Had mine done this week, along with the airbag reprogramming. In and out in about 45 minutes. Talked to the tech beforehand, he mentioned the template they're supposed to use, but agreed to not cut it at all if that was my preference. Turned out looking great. It pays to have a working relationship with the group at the dealership who works on your truck.

Damn i forgot all about this. I need to get this done still

Same, when I took my truck in for its last oil change, they didn't have the parts yet. I guess I'll get this and the airbag module reprogramming done when I take it in sometime next week.

The saga continues.

I had my service manager order a whole new side of the seat. This is what they look like coming from the factory if you order a replacement for the part.

20160922 125535

20160922 125543

Going to have them install this new part on GMs dime. Even the technition doing work thought it was ludicrous. But at least I will have that recall done and no hack job and can claim it is 100% oem at trade in.

Pretty certain GM spent a couple thousand on this one VIN in an attempt to save a buck.

The saga continues.

I had my service manager order a whole new side of the seat. This is what they look like coming from the factory if you order a replacement for the part.

Going to have them install this new part on GMs dime. Even the technition doing work thought it was ludicrous. But at least I will have that recall done and no hack job and can claim it is 100% oem at trade in.

Pretty certain GM spent a couple thousand on this one VIN in an attempt to save a buck.

Just to be sure I'm reading your post right...a new replacement part comes with the cut-out already made?

Archived