Happy with your seatbelt recall fix?

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. Order one that is not hacked up by the dealer. That's what I said.

i think what Alpine Truck Life was saying is that the piece now comes with the cut out already done (not like the original part with just the slits)

see post #180

So you are saying that I should just take it up the shorts when someone defaces my property? Spend my own money to fix it and then do my own labor after I spend my own money to repair my truck. Meanwhile GM continues this practice on other truck owners property without any cares because people like you just bend over and take it.

It isn't about cost, it is about principle. If people like you offer no push back what can we look forward to next? Will the fog lights be deemed poorly aimed by the Highway Traffic Safety Administration and GM's recall practice will be to kick them out?

To me that is an act of cowardice to just walk away. What GM has done is wrong. They went cheap. They expect people to just suck it up.

You are free to do as you wish, I just happen to have a 180 degree difference in opinion.

So you are saying that I should just take it up the shorts when someone defaces my property? Spend my own money to fix it and then do my own labor after I spend my own money to repair my truck. Meanwhile GM continues this practice on other truck owners property without any cares because people like you just bend over and take it.

It isn't about cost, it is about principle. If people like you offer no push back what can we look forward to next? Will the fog lights be deemed poorly aimed by the Highway Traffic Safety Administration and GM's recall practice will be to kick them out?

To me that is an act of cowardice to just walk away. What GM has done is wrong. They went cheap. They expect people to just suck it up.

You are free to do as you wish, I just happen to have a 180 degree difference in opinion.

If you read this entire thread you will see I am the one calling GM out on this completely.

I forced them to waste countless hours of Customer Service, Service Manager, Regional Manager, Service Tech and probably a lawyer or 2 as well. I made them call me every single week for an update. I was threatening to force a complete buyback and in the end forced them to replace the entire side of the seat on their dime. I also still plan to have them give me a credit or some free accessories for my trouble ... if not I will literally bill them for my time in dealing with this because my time is not free and I documented all the hours I needlessly spent on this single issue. In the end it has already cost GM a couple thousand ... easily just to deal with my specific VIN and I am not done yet.

I am thinking of removing the cover from mine and getting the recall done. Then after the work is done re-installing the cover piece... I wonder if that will solve the issue of the hack job.

Has anyone tried that?

If you read this entire thread you will see I am the one calling GM out on this completely.

I forced them to waste countless hours of Customer Service, Service Manager, Regional Manager, Service Tech and probably a lawyer or 2 as well. I made them call me every single week for an update. I was threatening to force a complete buyback and in the end forced them to replace the entire side of the seat on their dime. I also still plan to have them give me a credit or some free accessories for my trouble ... if not I will literally bill them for my time in dealing with this because my time is not free and I documented all the hours I needlessly spent on this single issue. In the end it has already cost GM a couple thousand ... easily just to deal with my specific VIN and I am not done yet.

Apologies. I congratulate you on your endurance. I used to be on a Silverado website that has now disappeared, and the layout of this one is difficult for me to navigate since I am unfamiliar with it and I am coming in late on the threads.

As the OP asked, yes I am very happy because when I brought my truck in for the airbag deal, I told them if you can't do the seatbelt fix without cutting, don't do it.........and they didn't. Honestly, (at least with me and I how enter and exit my truck) I don't see how what they (GM) say will cause the failure to happen anyway.

As the OP asked, yes I am very happy because when I brought my truck in for the airbag deal, I told them if you can't do the seatbelt fix without cutting, don't do it.........and they didn't. Honestly, (at least with me and I how enter and exit my truck) I don't see how what they (GM) say will cause the failure to happen anyway.

The recall is mainly targeted at work trucks, where guys get in and out of it all day long. Especially for the big round "foreman" types that slide in and out all day long to tell other guys what physical work to do while doing none themselves. :)

Which has always made me ask, why the hell isn't it a problem for the passenger side? The designs are exactly the same on both sides. What if I was, say, an uber driver, and had passengers in and out of my truck all day long? I suspect its just a game of numbers for GM. The likelihood of a passenger side failure is so remote that they'll deal with the one-off failures financially cheaper than an all out recall across the board.

This is a perfect candidate for a class action law suit. By doing this hack fix they are degrading the value of your vehicle without compensation. This can be proven for the single fact that they fixed the "unsold" vehicles the right way because nobody would buy a new truck with the hack fix they performed on customers cars.

Kinda makes me feel like I am glad I haven't wasted a single minute stopping in at the dealer and addressing the seatbelt recall. Still haven't gotten the notice in the mail and not going out of my way to get it done. As long as I still do not have the notice (I checked online and my pickup is involved) then anything happens and they are still liable. Probably won't though, as I rarely wear a seat belt out in my rural neck of the woods.

Just saw this thread AFTER I had the recall done. Mine was hacked up and I sent pics to the GMC service manager today. They did a horrible job - and like others have said - drivers side only. They cut out the entire section so its now wide open and you can see down into the seat. Annoying. Esp on a 63k truck. Wish I had seen this earlier.

Huge shout out to Alpine Truck Life, who's prior work allowed me to get my crap job resolved quickly. See his post # 178 & 189. The replacement part is: 84147954 - cover asm f/seat.

I have the brand new one now. I may try to replace it myself, otherwise they will do it for me when I return for next oil change.

Here's the whole story for anyone who's interested:

I had to go in for service on a cylinder misfire. Turned out to be just a loose plug wire, so they replaced that. Anyway, The check engine light went off on saturday morning. I called the service dept and asked when they could get me in. He told me if i could drop it off, they should be able to sneak it in on monday. I asked about the seatbelt and airbag recalls, and he told me they would do the airbag one, but there was a part that needed to be ordered for the seatbelt so that would not be done. Good, I thought to myself.

I didn't want to take time off work to sit there, so I dropped it off Sunday afternoon. I filled out the key drop envolope and wrote on it to fix the misfire and do the airbag recall. I also checked the box to call me before any work was done.

So i get a call at 9am Monday and the guy says its done. I said what's done? He said all 3 things. I said I only asked for 2 things to be done, you mean they did the seatbelt too!?! He said yes.

So now i'm pissed becasue they did not talk to me and i did not authorize this. I knew already what they would do and i was not going to let them cut the trim. so Monday after work my wife dropped me off at the dealership and sure enough, I got the standard hack job. It looks like crap just like all the others before me.

BUT i immediately told the service guy, this is unacceptable, since i never authorized it and i wanted to speak with the manager. she wasn't back in until tuesday morning. So she called me yesterday and i tried to explain everything calmly. I told her this fix was a joke and she needed to tell her superiors that it is a terrible thing to do to peoples trucks. She agreed and they offered to fix it for me but they weren't quite sure what to do. Since I had that part number available, I told it to her and she said they had one sitting in the parts room. So she gave it to me. She said they would replace it, but i don't want to drive back to the dealer and waste more time for this, so i said I'll bring it back at my next oil change. or I'll just do it myself if i can figure out how to pop the seat adjustment levers off.

Anyway, I'm mostly content with the resolution now. at least my seat trim won't look like a kindergartner went after it with pruning shears.

Thanks again to Alpine for finding this part and i recommend everyone else to request it instead of accepting GM's bullshirt.

PS- I did ask about the "other" fix for the dealer owned inventory, and the service manager said she was aware of that, but it has since been altered. Now the fix is the same for all truck whether you bought it before or after the recall came out.

end of rant.

I am sure I can do a better job than the cutaway hack job.

I called GM Customer support 1 800-222-1020 and requested a unsold truck repair on my truck.

The created a case for me and forward it to the GM support team. Someone with the support team is supposed to call me back to confirm or deny the request by Tuesday October 11, 2016.

I will post GM's reply here.

I suggest everyone who is not happy with the fix or do not want the hack job call the Customer support number and request the unsold truck fix.

What ever you do DO NOT sign a waiver. It will make you liable for any failure of the seat belt even after you sold your truck. Rather ask your dealer to open a case with GM to request a unsold vehicle repair.

Archived