'14+ rear axle swap

V6 engines have the 8.6" rear housings, the 5.3L has the 9.5" axle, and anything with the max trailer package or the 6.2L have a 9.76" axle. The 8.6" is by far the easiest to find aftermarket gears for, but they are slowly becoming available for the bigger two as well. I believe each of the larger two are available in an oem 3.73 gear

6.2 Gears are actually smaller than 5.3 Gears (3.23 vs 3.42 w/o trailing, 3.42 vs 3.73 w/ max trailing).

Smaller is not really the right term, rather it has less teeth. But I am no expert it that area. I do know however that you can fit 4.10 gears in these diffs and you can also get a bigger diff cover which allowed more fluid (runs cooler).

V6 engines have the 8.6" rear housings, the 5.3L has the 9.5" axle, and anything with the max trailer package or the 6.2L have a 9.76" axle. The 8.6" is by far the easiest to find aftermarket gears for, but they are slowly becoming available for the bigger two as well. I believe each of the larger two are available in an oem 3.73 gear

Ok. So I have the 9.5 12 bolt. I confused myself since the front is the 8.25. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are not making OEM 3.73's for the 12 bolt 9.5, only the 9.76 has a factory option 3.73.

RT

http://www.bmracing.com/products/71505-cast-aluminum-differential-cover-for-gm-95-blk/?mk=&yr=&md=&smd=&eng=

This one says GM 9.5 but says 14 bolt. I just remember seeing them do a giveaway on IG.

Notes say:

• Load bolts provide additional support to bearing caps

So they are adding 2 bolts? Not an expert here.

From instructions:

9. We recommend running a M8-1.25 tap through each threaded cover hole on the axle housing to ensure an accurate torque on all bolts.

10. Install the supplied load bolts in each boss from the inside of the B&M Cast Aluminum Rear End Cover as shown until they bottom out (See Figure 3 & NOTE: There are two load bolt lengths. The 3 1/16” load bolt should be touching the bearing cap with the retaining bolt.

Archived