2016 wireless charging on Samsung S7

So I had to replace my Samsung S6 on Friday and got the Samsung S7. The wireless charging worked on the S6 just fine, they only use the normal charge rate for wireless and the adaptive rate when plugged into the wall. The S7 has fast charge on the wireless and when plugged in. Today I put the phone on the charging pad and the icon on the radio came on for 5 seconds, the phone never showed it went into charging mode at all. Then after 5 seconds the radio icon would drop off.

Has anyone else tried charging a S7 in the 2016 trucks with any luck yet?

I can't help but I can confirm the behavior. My truck did this for a bit shortly after I bought it. At the time it was the same result with both S6 and S7; the dash lightning bolt came on for a few seconds, then went off. I'm not really sure what changed but it seems to be working now, so long as I put my phone backwards and up against the rear "stop" in the pad.

Hmm, I wonder if something was changed in the new Samsung phones that is not allowing the wireless charging to work on the system in the new trucks.

Hmm, I wonder if something was changed in the new Samsung phones that is not allowing the wireless charging to work on the system in the new trucks.

As long as our trucks use the Qi or PMA standard, there should be no issue. The Note 7 supports both of these.

To get my S6 to work, I had to change to a different case, turn my phone "backwards," and place it down and slide it against the "rear" until it hits the stop.

I haven't been using it because the charge is slow... I got a small cigarette lighter-style USB QC2 charger that I keep under the armrest with a USB snaked through the relief hole. It charges much faster and I'm always needing to get as much charge as quickly as possible.

Ok, so here is what I have found.

I ended up having to swap out my new AT&T Samsung S7 Active due to the previous one re-booting all the time. When I got the new one it had a 50% charge, so I had errands to run and thru it on the charging mat. It worked every time I out it on there on the day I swapped the phone out. I probably used it 5 times that day, it charged each and every time.

Then later that night I got 2 updates, one was the WiFi calling and advance text messaging update and then later I get a security policy update. Next morning I went out and what do you know, the wireless charging stopped. Went back to BestBuy to talk with the Samsung rep. He brought out 3 other phones, 2 on Verizon and one on AT&T. Two of them were Samsung S7 and the other was the Note 7. None of the phone would charge on the mat 95% of the time. Every once in awhile the phones would connect and charge, but normally they would not. We even tried pulling the mat out and putting the phones right on the coil and it made no difference.

So the Samsung rep opened a case with the Samsung tech support, they are looking into the issue. He said they had issues on the S6's as well after a update with them not wanting to charge on some of the vehicle wireless chargers and even on the pads and they had to change something to get the phones to work again.

Hopefully Samsung will release an update here soon to fix the issue.

• 1 month later...

I can only get it to charge out of the case.

The top of the phone pointed toward the back seat

Phone all they way back on the charge pad.

Then even if I see the charge symbol on the radio the phone doesn't always charge you have to pick it up and put it down a few times until phone see's the charge pad.

It seams to be weak in this phone.

Update - So I just got my new S7 the other day. Been messing with it on the wireless charging pad.. just like others I would see the charging indicator for a few second, then it disappears. So I gave up. I figured once I my new case arrives in the mail.. it will make the chances of the phone charging even less... certainly wont work.

So I get my new case - just a basic thin cheap case on Amazon. I decided today to try charging the phone on the wireless pad - and it worked! I was in and out of the truck for most the day... and the phone picked up and charged most the time. The other times it didn't I would just have to try twice.

What I have discovered - 1 - don't assume your phone won't charge until you CRANK the truck and try it. Every time I tried before, the truck wasn't actually running. I think it makes a difference for some reason.

2- make sure the top of the phone is facing the rear of the truck.

3 - the new case I got has some big sticker inside of it. Maybe this is something to help with the wireless charging.. I don't know.

• 3 months later...

I have a 2016 Z 71 crew cab and my s7 active wouldn't charge, so I saw on a site where you can remove the rubber pad the phone sits on and rotate it 180 degrees. You have to cut off the little nub so it sets flat. I did this and BAM it works great. just use little knife or something to pry it out and then press it back in. Give it a try, worked for me and many others !

Archived