Mysterious Clunk

I have noticed I have a clunk noise coming from somewhere. Im thinking its coming from up front but not sure. Sounds like a suspension driveline or steering issue. Notice it alot while turning on uneven ground or when I swerve back and forth somewhat harsh on the road. Im taking it to the dealer this afternoon, just thought I might see if anyone else experienced this and has an idea. Truck does have a 2" level.

A friend of mine had this issue on his non-lifted truck and it turned out to be bad shocks in the front. Now he has a 2" level in the front and a 1.5" lift in the back with bigger tires and the noise has returned. He's not sure if everything needs to be re-torqued after the level/lift or if the replacement Ranchos went bad again. I've also heard of this noise happening with a loose tie rod. Bottom line is it could a few different things that you need to look into.

Doesn't seem to do it when going straight so much, even when hitting bumps or going over train tracks.

My friend said he heard it during sharp turns, especially when entering and exiting parking lots where there's the concrete apron and slight dip to drive over. It turned out to be bad shocks.

• 2 months later...

Did you ever figure this out?

Mine makes a pop sound when turning sharp in parking lots. Today when I was rotating tires, I did the checks you do when you have it lifter, Push/Pull on the top and bottom of the wheel. Push/Pull on the left and right side of the tire. I found some movement when working the top and bottom of the wheel. So I think I am looking at ball joints, either upper or lower. I will look closer when my son comes over for Thanksgiving this week.

Edited by Eddie 70

This may not be the same issue y'all are having, but it's worth a shot. I had a popping noise from the front end..at full turn. It was caused by the sway bar bushings. They had dirt and debri in them. Simply cleaned them and the pop was gone. I also had a clunk coming from the rear. I was expecting the worse, but it turned out to be the leaf springs making noise only when turning. Spring clamps will fix that issue, but I decided to go with the bicycle tube idea..someone mentioned on this form. These are two easy/cheap solutions for annoying noises. I hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

I had the same issue on my 2014 with a RC 2.5" Leveling lift kit. Thought is was the ball joints but ended up being a bad bearing in the steering column. Dealership said this has been an issue in many trucks.

What was your issue on why they had the bearing in the column replaced? I am having a issue and the dealership can't find it. It has a pop/feel when turning from one street 90 degrees to the next. But it is intermittent! Any help would be appreciated.

I had a upper a arm loose at the frame. Made a popping noise. Tightening it up fixed mine.

Turns out mine was the same thing. I was amazed at finding this. Problem for me was I didn't find until I had new upper control arms at the house and had painted them. On top of that I didn't get around to swapping them until a month or so later. I should be okay for a while now though.

My 2014 spent weeks at the dealership over three different times and they could not ever figure it out. Every time I pulled out of the dealership parking lot my front end would pop, I was so annoyed and pissed about the entire situation. This was the first half ton I ever owned and I hated it!!! I finally got the front end fixed by buying a new 2016 2500HD, I will never try a half ton again/