Michelin LTX A/T2 vs LTX Defender M/S vs LTX Premier vs Hankook Dynapr

Matt_P

I am looking to get rid of my Eagle LS2 tires and these are the three I have been looking at for replacements. I live in NY so snow and ice is a given (why I am replacing LS2) but I do mostly highway driving. I have read great things in various threads about the LTX Defender M/S (current version of LTX M/S2), but I am thinking of getting an AT tire for better snow and ice traction.

The Hankooks get good reviews on this site and others, but are probably too aggressive for what I need. I am also concerned about noise as they wear. One tire I don't see a lot of talk about is Michelin's LTX A/T2, it looks like it might be a 'mild' AT tire, so just what tire I want? Does anyone have experience with any of the tires mentioned above?

I should say traction (safety) is my first priority followed closely by comfort (noise and ride). Appearance is 3rd followed by cost as 4th most important criteria.

Edit: I plan to stay with the stock size 275/55R20 and not get a LT tire.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MIchelin LTX M/S2 which are now the defender m/s are great tires, hands down. However, they are not great off road, correction; they are terrible off road. Not sure how that correlates to snow and ice but just letting you know.

If you want a smooth riding, trouble free quiet tire these are #1 on the list.

The MIchelin LTX M/S2 which are not the defender m/s are great tires, hands down. However, they are not great off road, correction; they are terrible off road. Not sure how that correlates to snow and ice but just letting you know.

If you want a smooth riding, trouble free quiet tire these are #1 on the list.

I think these might be the tires for me then. Off road for me is a dirt/gravel road and I suspect no issues in those conditions. My main concern is my driveway is on a hill and I want to make sure I have good traction in snow/ice.

I'm curious as well. I was comparing the m/s ltx vs the defenders also. Seems like the defenders wold up better mileage wise and have more tread depth also. SAMs club locally has the set for under 800 mounted and balanced with their warranty also. Not bad

I have the Michelin A/T2's on my Suburban. Great tires if you need the all-terrains. Not too loud and work ok in the snow, but boy do they pickup rocks from my 1.5 miles of gravel road! I even broke my own windshield with them!

I'm putting on the LTX M/S on my truck when they become available. They appear to be hot sellers and dealers have a hard time keeping them in stock. I have no need for off-road tires, but living in MN certainly need them to work in the snow which the reviews on the M/S certainly look like they do very well which they should with all those sipes on them. I'm betting the M/S will be better in the snow than the A/T 2's are also with all those sipes in the tread blocks.

Michelins are going to cost more but last longer than the Hankooks. I haven't owned the Dynapro's myself, but a couple of my coworkers run them on their jeeps and trucks and they have all said they are good tired but do t last long for whatever that's worth.

I have the at2 and absolutely love them. No hwy noise and i do 20,000ish miles a year. The little bit of off road i do they were wonderful. The one experience i have with them on snow and ice they did wonderful. I was in the mountains and our cabin has a very steep driveway. No issues at all.

I've got the Michelin's LTX A/T2 on my Frontier, they are hands down the best A/T I've run. They aren't the most aggressive off-road, but I've still yet to get them stuck even in slick muddy ruts or steep hills out of river banks. They wear really well, these are lasting much long than other A/T's I've had (Bridgestone Revos, Yokohoma Geolanders, Pirelli Scorpions). And they are staying quiet longer too.

Best of all, they gave me almost a full mile per gallon better fuel economy.

Living in the mountains of Colorado, I have had a lot of experience with A/T versus A/S. As a general rule, A/T's give the best traction in mud & snow but not on ice or hard-packed snow. This is particularly noticeable on icy highways where the many, small sipes on a good A/S give much better traction. My driveway is very steep with dirt and gravel so the A/T's work great, but for safety sake, I want my best traction on icy highways. The 2017 I have on order only comes with A/T's, so I will try to trade them for Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires when the truck gets here.

As always, just me opinion . . . yours may vary :D

My Denali has 20" Michelin LTX M/S2s. The truck sees 90% city and highway driving. They are an excellent quiet tires for that 90%. The other 10% is out at my ranch. The drive to my place is 3.5 miles off the highway on a dirt and calache road, and then another mile down a trail to my house in the middle of the property. Sometimes all that is pretty muddy. These are not off-road tires, but they have no problems on that terrain, even when pulling a 20 ft trailer. Had them on my previous truck as well, and never once ran into a situation where I was worried about blowing a sidewall or getting stuck. When these wear out, I'll put another set of them on, and very likely again after that set.

As long as you don't go nuts off the beaten path, they are great.

I replaced the OEM Goodyears with the Defender M/S's and took a 4K mile drive across the east coast and the Midwest. The difference is astounding. Great tires with great traction even in extremely wet conditions. Will only be using those from now on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived