WOW even the 2016-17 oem HID/LED headlights are rated poor/marginal

The headlights on the truck in my signature are "Night and Day" better than the ones that were on my last 2 Dodge/Cummins trucks. The only thing that's hard to get used to is the "HARD" line there is on the low beams between where the light goes and doesn't go.

thats your cut-off.

thats a good thing.

Until the federal DOT is revamped and changes the 60+ year old light standard they are using, consumers will continue to have crappy lights. Europeans have used way brighter lights for decades, heck some of the German companies have been using laser lights for years now.

It will be revamped for the 2019 model years actually

I know my 17's all terrains led lights are much better then my 06 dmax were especially on high beams. I am still adjusting them to get the cutoff line right where I want it since it was set to low for country driving from the factory. Also they are leaps and bounds better than my dads 15 sierra its headlights are probably the worst of any newer vehicle I have ever driven.

They have a larger reflective base. The thin base lights work but it cuts the overall output on the out side edges.

They basically create more shadows.

The testing they do looks more at how they reflect around corners and over hills so the shadows cause the silverado to get a lower score.

I know my 2016 lights are way way better than the 2014's. I can see into the bottom if the ditches on both sides of the road. I was lucky to see the edge of the road in the 2014.

Another thing to take into consideration is they take vehicles off the lot. It could also boil down to the Chevy's headlights being aimed improperly. I'd like to see a side by side comparison of the two. I don't have any shadows cast on my silverado and this interests me.

Another thing to take into consideration is they take vehicles off the lot. It could also boil down to the Chevy's headlights being aimed improperly. I'd like to see a side by side comparison of the two. I don't have any shadows cast on my silverado and this interests me.

Shadow is where the light starts to fade off. They actually measure this. A bigger reflector IE reflective surface in the light simply projects out wider so it's going to give a wider profile of light. All of the styling seems to be towards smaller lights these days, But that given the 2014 GMC's had the same size light and they still sucked ha ha.

Shadow is where the light starts to fade off. They actually measure this. A bigger reflector IE reflective surface in the light simply projects out wider so it's going to give a wider profile of light. All of the styling seems to be towards smaller lights these days, But that given the 2014 GMC's had the same size light and they still sucked ha ha.

The test was on 16 models wasn't it? The projectors are the same in both models so they should perform the same regardless of the housing correct? Edited by 1300c

The test was on 16 models wasn't it? The projectors are the same in both models so they should perform the same regardless of the housing correct?

They have a larger opening on the sierra. The thin on on the Silverado causes the beam to be cut down on the edges. The projector still uses the reflective surface in the light lens as well. It's not completely like a projector... The size of the light housing IE the entire assembly not jus the projector is the difference.

The design of the Silverodo housing is a short and long where as the Sierra is closer to an even size square and is almost twice a big.

The housing is what is causing the difference it has the same affect as the shutter does in the projector it's self. It's cutting the light off.

Believe it or not but round headlights are still a better design their just ugly.

It all comes down to function vs style.

If they designed all vehicles so the light worked just awesome and were the best ever I'd bet they would be ugly as all heck ha ha.

I thought all of the Sierra comments I read were positive. I know I love my LED heads, need a little width the Fogs provide it perfectly. No complaints at all. My other car has HID and the LED are leaps and bounds better.

I know my 17's all terrains led lights are much better then my 06 dmax were especially on high beams. I am still adjusting them to get the cutoff line right where I want it since it was set to low for country driving from the factory. Also they are leaps and bounds better than my dads 15 sierra its headlights are probably the worst of any newer vehicle I have ever driven.

How are you adjusting it? I have yet to take a look at this but am interested in how you are adjusting it and how the process is going?

How are you adjusting it? I have yet to take a look at this but am interested in how you are adjusting it and how the process is going?

By adjusting the headlight housing. I stole this pic off the interwebz but see the holes thru the upper shroud behind both headlights? If you look down thru them there is a phillips head screw that these give access to. I believe turning counter clockwise raises the beam. Dont go to much though or you will blind drivers going the opposite way. I am going to raise mine just a hair more and make sure I have them level with one another and be done. The low beams are giving me much better down road distance and I have not been flashed a single time for to bright of lights.

2017-GMC-Sierra-Review-MPG-Engine.jpg

Edited by BLUE72CAMARO

By adjusting the headlight housing. I stole this pic off the interwebz but see the holes thru the upper shroud behind both headlights? If you look down thru them there is a phillips head screw that these give access to. I believe turning counter clockwise raises the beam. Dont go to much though or you will blind drivers going the opposite way. I am going to raise mine just a hair more and make sure I have them level with one another and be done. The low beams are giving me much better down road distance and I have not been flashed a single time for to bright of lights.

2017-GMC-Sierra-Review-MPG-Engine.jpg

incorrect, unless the LED housing adjusters are different.

the adjusters are between the shroud and airbox (white plastic, facing up and allen head) clearly visible on drivers side from spare battery box

mine work great, slightly adjusted cut-off up

Edited by powerhaulic

Until the federal DOT is revamped and changes the 60+ year old light standard they are using, consumers will continue to have crappy lights. Europeans have used way brighter lights for decades, heck some of the German companies have been using laser lights for years now.

You mean one company has had laser headlights in one ($250k+) vehicle for a couple years and US regulations are the only reason they are not allowed in the US. They are far from widely used.