Any way to keep the fog lights on?

So it's a bit annoying that every time I turn on the fog lights once I turn the truck off and then back on and night falls, the fog lights don't come back on automatically like my other cars do.

Is there a way that any of you know of that once I press the fog light button that it keeps it in memory and each time the lights go on (in the AUTO mode) that fog lights come on too?

Thanks

Dang it, that blows.

This is my first new GM vehicle (owned about 40+ other new vehicles from many other manufacturers) and having the fog lights come on when the head lights come on (and storing that desired setting) has been something my other cars have done for more than a decade. Can't believe that's not something GM owners have asked for and GM couldn't have done a long time ago.

Minor annoyance, but an annoyance none the less, and sadly one that doesn't have to be.

Oh well.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Driver72
  • Like 1

I've never owned a vehicle where the fog lights always come on with the headlights. Whether American, Japanese or German. And I've worked for 3 different dealerships and don't recall any vehicles where the fog lights come on automatically with the headlights.

Edited by novembervictor
  • Like 1

I've never owned a vehicle where the fog lights always come on with the headlights. Whether American, Japanese or German. And I've worked for 3 different dealerships and don't recall any vehicles where the fog lights come on automatically with the headlights.

Same. All my other cars were the same as my GM. Fog lights must be turned on separately. Edited by EspoMan

I'm trying to think of any of my cars that didn't keep the fog lights on in the past decade or two.

Even back in the late 80's my Mustang GT kept the fogs on.

There was a switch on the upper left dash, when you pushed it in the fogs came on and stayed on as long as head lights were on.

To me this is just like the recirculate button on the A/C

When I hit it on, I expect it to stay in recirculate mode until I decide to turn it off, it shouldn't automatically revert back every time I turn the A/C off requiring me to hit the recirculate button each and every time I turn the A/C back on.

Again, a minor annoyance, but kind of an oversight from GM considering nearly every other manufacturer car I've owned (foreign and domestic) save your choice.

• Like 1

Dang it, that blows.

This is my first new GM vehicle (owned about 40+ other new vehicles from many other manufacturers) and having the fog lights come on when the head lights come on (and storing that desired setting) has been something my other cars have done for more than a decade. Can't believe that's not something GM owners have asked for and GM couldn't have done a long time ago.

Minor annoyance, but an annoyance none the less, and sadly one that doesn't have to be.

Oh well.

Thanks guys.

Ford vehicles the fog lights are on a toggle style switch and stay on unless turned off or vice verse. GM vehicles since about 2001'ish went o the BCM controlling the fog light operation. Audi has the BCM controlling it on them as well. I asked about this very question to the GM lighting engineer, GM will not leave the fog lamps on by default due to how most states laws and the DOT requirements are in regards to forward lamp operation. He said the DOT had specifically spoke to GM about fog lamp operation and if the manufactures did not make it to where the lamps did not come on automatically that the DOT would intervene with a federal requirement.

Ford vehicles the fog lights are on a toggle style switch and stay on unless turned off or vice verse. GM vehicles since about 2001'ish went o the BCM controlling the fog light operation. Audi has the BCM controlling it on them as well. I asked about this very question to the GM lighting engineer, GM will not leave the fog lamps on by default due to how most states laws and the DOT requirements are in regards to forward lamp operation. He said the DOT had specifically spoke to GM about fog lamp operation and if the manufactures did not make it to where the lamps did not come on automatically that the DOT would intervene with a federal requirement.

Interesting, but weird at the same time, since so many other manufacturers fog lights stay in the on position once turned on, as long as the headlights are on. Since they are always aimed down at the road and not in other car's faces, not sure why the DOT would have any objection of that.

In fact, having them on is a SAFER way to drive at night.

Not only do you see more things on the road, but your vehicle has higher visibility for others, without blinding them.

• Like 2

I think based on a quick read of the first few sentences, this "mod" applies to keeping the fogs on when you go to high beams.

For me, it's about keeping the fog lights on whenever the headlights are on, once I hit the fog light button.

Even after I turn the truck off, once I turn it back on, and the headlights are activated either manually or in the auto mode, the fog lights should come back on too.

1st world problems...just hit the switch in the park lamp position or headlamp on position and be done. Its not hard. Hit. The. Switch.

Do you leave your headlight switch in the "auto" position so they come on automatically in low light?

• Like 1