When do you know it's time to get a new truck?

I'm interested in knowing what are the deciding factors that made you trade in or get a new truck?

I think everyone always has one eye on whats new and coming out even if your truck is only a year old, but does anyone here have a deadline or set in stone rules they like to go by when it comes to making that choice? I'm fairly sure its impulse for some folks.

I toy with the idea constantly and the variables involved (mileage on my truck and age)

for example right now i have a 2006 silverado- extended cab Z71 with 106,000 miles. Truck still runs great and not having payments is nice. But every month the truck gets older and every mile the value goes down.

blue book i believe right now is somewhere between 10-14, which isn't a bad chunk of change for trade.

I guess it boils down to do I keep the truck and hope to not have to invest any money in it. or trade while the value is good. It's a tough choice sometimes.

What have some of you guys done in similar situations?

Ole Dave has some pretty good financial advice https://www.daveramsey.com/fpu/ I think he says something to the affect that unless you are a millionaire you should not buy a NEW vehicle. So to answer your question as soon as your net worth hits 1 million go buy yourself a NEW truck and do not worry about it. You may be there now so enjoy your NEW truck man. Oh and get the wife a NEW car also so you do not have a issue there. Please post a pic of both

• Haha 1

I kept my last truck 9 yrs. mainly "needed" a new one for a crewcab (child was on the way). 7 yrs later I am itching for a new one mainly for a few features (std bed, leather). I am waiting for the new trucks 18/19 to come out.

Looks like it will be another 9/10 yrs between trucks.

Ryan

• Like 1

This. I drive my GMT-800 with 250k miles a hell of a lot more than my K2 locally. If I did not have to make cross country trips I would have never bought my K2.

Isn't that what the bronco is for?

Ryan

When hell freezes over. New trucks are way too expensive these days. Granted, being a professional mechanic, i do 95% of the work and repairs to my vehicles, so it's cheaper for me to just keep my '02 running, and i dont have to worry about things like warranty for aftermarket mods, or scratching the paint or denting a panel.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

For me I thought I was going to get one when the extended warranty ran out in March. Now I think I'll wait until I get tired of fixing whatever is wrong, my buddy will help me fix stuff that breaks so I'll only be paying for parts. Another factor is how well the truck handles my boat once we get it restored and fully loaded, towing wise I'll probably be fine, crap boat ramps with only 6x4 might pose a problem. If GM comes out with a new big block that would make me consider a new truck too. I've loved the 6 or so 6.0s family has had since they came out, but without a substantial boost in torque it's going to be hard to get me to go back to a gasser. The new 6.0s are actually rated higher towing than my 09 Duramax which I find interesting. I'd like to do a towing comparison between the two towing right at the max, or even over, which I might end up being.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk

Edited by Chevyguy85

I used to buy them on sale and keep them till I was right side up then trade on a truck that was on sale. That would be two to two and half years. Now I'm retired I thinking I'll keep them till the first hint of trouble. After reading this and other forums its better to keep them if there's no problems.

Edited by KARNUT

I kept my last truck 9 yrs. mainly "needed" a new one for a crewcab (child was on the way). 7 yrs later I am itching for a new one mainly for a few features (std bed, leather). I am waiting for the new trucks 18/19 to come out.

Looks like it will be another 9/10 yrs between trucks.

Ryan

While I don't have the itch, probably 8 to 10 years is about right for me. With the Cummins I didn't care about mileage, with this one probably the 200k mark will be trade-in time...

I am a minimalist, I want more basic stuff and not all the bells and whistles. So the newer models aren't all that appealing to me...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit financially irresponsible but I buy the new one when I get bored with the old one so long as I don't take a beating at trade in. I've traded stuff as early as one year later and as much as 4 years. I do drive quite a bit so my stuff gets miles on it fast but I've never been upside down on the trades which is my main concern. I'll be looking to get out of the Jeep this spring. Not totally sure what will take it's place yet.

• Like 1