Leveling with torsion bars

I know its probably been discussed a 100x how to level a 2500hd with torsion bars. I know what needs to be done and how to do it, but my question is whats the max people have gotten out of the front end while also not doing any long term damage to the front end?

Now Ive done this on an s10 and its just ate up front end parts. Ive thought about cognito upper control arms but I was hoping to avoid doing them at the moment. Just looking for a safe height increase while still being able to align the truck and not wear front end parts out long term. I don't know if all these trucks are similar as far as front end height but my bump stops are probably only 3/4 to 1" away from bottoming out so not sure if mines lower than others or is this normal height?

Not sure how much this helps, but the '98 1500 I had was leveled by cranking the keys. For the 10 years I had it ('04-'14) I didn't have a problem with steering or suspension parts out of normal wear that needed to be replaced. Anything that I did have replaced like the ball joints, pitman arm and all I either never replace or only replaced once. So I'm sure you would be able to crank enough to level the truck and shouldn't have problems with parts wearing too soon.

Keep it under two inches raised from factory and it shouldnt be too bad. Any more than that and you are asking for trouble without a true lift kit. The parts will wear out a little quicker than factory height but I believe it isn't too bad. My last torsion bar truck was. 2006 which was fine with 1.5 inchs of height gained. Others will deffinitely chime in though.

Keep it under two inches raised from factory and it shouldnt be too bad. Any more than that and you are asking for trouble without a true lift kit. The parts will wear out a little quicker than factory height but I believe it isn't too bad. My last torsion bar truck was a 2006 which was fine with 1.5 inchs of height gained. I have only had my 2016 for 20,000 km so far.

Others will deffinitely chime in though.

I used the tough country keys and shock spacers. The new keys and spacers were $99. Then I had it aligned. This kit kept the torsion bolts in the same position and gave me 1.75 inches. So far it is fine and makesee the the truck look right. Even towing does not make the truck look like it's sagging. If you do it yourself, which you can easily, make sure you get the torsion bar compression tool, it is free at Auto Zone.

Before I chose to purchase a leveling kit, I did quite a bit of research on multiple forums along with manufactures websites. The newer trucks (especially 2015 and above) seem to be much happier with new upper control arms and front differential drop down spacers. These bring the ball joint angles and CV joint angles more towards the factory spec...if you don't go to high. If you crank too much, you will prematurely wear ball joints, idler arms, pitman arms, and CV joints. Keep the CV angles as flat as possible. I purchased a kit from Central Coast Motorsports in San Luis Obispo, CA. It consisted of UCAs, keys, diff drop down spacers (drops it about half inch), and front shock extensions. They manufacture their own lift and leveling kits...similar to Cognito, but cheaper. Check out their website.

I have had this leveling kit on this truck for about 8,000 miles. No issues so far. The truck has about 9,000 miles on it.

My last truck was an '04 Duramax. I only put on keys and cranked it about 1" and ran 32" tall tires. In the 12 years I owned it (180,000 miles), it did go through two sets of idler and pitman arms and I replaced the upper and lower ball joints once.

Remember the big picture....a leveling kit is the "cheaper" way to do it. Parts will wear and will need to be replaced. If you know that, and are ok with that, go for it. They are engineered correctly if you purchase all the correct pieces. In my opinion, these include UCAs, keys, diff drop down spacers, and shock extensions - or longer shocks (other opinions may differ). Again, just don't crank it too much or a lift kit may be cheaper in the long run...

I went with a Cognito kit that had arms, keys, and shock spacers. Installed kit and truck is level within 1/4 inch front to back. Rides like a lifted truck, but I also added Bilstein 5100 shocks and the suspension still works to give it a decent ride. Its been done now about 8-9 thousand miles and I'm perfectly happy. I did get a diff drop kit, but not installed it yet.

post-145603-0-69990500-1467530497_thumb.jpg

I went with a Cognito kit that had arms, keys, and shock spacers. Installed kit and truck is level within 1/4 inch front to back. Rides like a lifted truck, but I also added Bilstein 5100 shocks and the suspension still works to give it a decent ride. Its been done now about 8-9 thousand miles and I'm perfectly happy. I did get a diff drop kit, but not installed it yet.

Looks good too. Those wheels look perfect on your truck. Curious does your truck have a plow package?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2500 with a Plow package on order ..... After reading this thread , Am I to assume that lifting with the adjuster is different with the plow package ?

I will not be putting a blade on this truck .

I do however want to get lifted a bit without hurting front end parts .

Im not even sure even with the plow package that lifting with the key even is possible .I dont know enough about it , YET !

I have a 2500 with a Plow package on order ..... After reading this thread , Am I to assume that lifting with the adjuster is different with the plow package ?

I will not be putting a blade on this truck .

I do however want to get lifted a bit without hurting front end parts .

Im not even sure even with the plow package that lifting with the key even is possible .I dont know enough about it , YET !

Same as any other truck...mine has a plow package and I ran mine up 6 turns to bring back to a factory ride height after adding a winch and brush guard (probably 400 pounds).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Six turns . Does it need to be aligned after those six turns ?

I read there are a limited amount of turns ... did I read 12 ?

Six turns . Does it need to be aligned after those six turns ?

I read there are a limited amount of turns ... did I read 12 ?

I just got mine back to OE height. So it brought mine back into alignment from sagging.

I've heard that eight turns is max, each turn is about 1/4".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Archived