Blind Spot Detection... Or lack there of.

I just bought a 2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Texas Edition. The only thing I'm disappointed in, is the fact that the side view mirrors don't come with the blind spot detection in them. I don't believe that any of the GMC/Chevy trucks come with this feature, correct? I'm curious to know if a 2017 Tahoe's side view mirrors, equipped with the blind spot detection, would fit? Or if anyone has successfully done a swap? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by Nelsonm6

I just bought a 2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Texas Edition. The only thing I'm disappointed in, is the fact that the side view mirrors don't come with the blind spot detection in them. I don't believe that any of the GMC/Chevy trucks come with this feature, correct? I'm curious to know if a 2017 Tahoe's side view mirrors, equipped with the blind spot detection, would fit or if anyone has successfully done a swap? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

BSM requires radar emitters and sensors in the rear of the vehicle to detect other vehicles. On the f150, it is located in the rear tail lamps. In other cars with plastic bumper covers, the sensor is usually located behind that.

The Silverado does not have this. I haven't heard of anyone retrofitting this, but if they did, it would probably be very expensive. If GM suvs have this, you'll probably notice plastic bumper covers and the sensors will be located behind them. I believe our bumper is mostly metal, and the rear bodywork is as well. Solving sensor placement would be number one. This is in addition to the programming that would be required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is good information! Thanks! I was considering new towing mirrors but they are seldom required and create a larger forward blind spot. These cameras are a similar expense but will be useful all of the time!

Or set the mirrors correctly and blindspots will not be an issue. I have a crew cab, with my mirrors setup I don't have any blindspots at all.

So i've been toying with adjusting the mirrors outward to eliminate the blind spots. Do you adjust your mirrors when you want to back up ? Or do you have the reverse tilt feature?

I just put these over the small mirror on the driver side, and put one on the passenger side as well. Looks basically stock, was $7, and lets me see the parking lines when backing into a spot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EVMT6A8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The blind spot is not bad in this truck unless you have a suit hanging over one of the back windows IMO. The BSM is unnecessary. I really don't understand the want for all the nanny tech lately. I don't even use my lane guidance because I find it more of a nuisance than helpful unless I am super drunk (j/k).

• Like 2

Yes I was very surprised when I was driving home in my truck while I was passing there was no blind spot indicator in the mirrors like I have seen on almost every new vehicle, I just figured oh well instead of the mrrors the vehicle icon under the odometer was used for blindspot detection as well as everything else.

I also set my mirrors like TJay74 does, plus that little blind spot mirror on the drivers side door mirror helps a bunch, just wish that would have put it on the passenger side as well.