Satellite antenna leaking over sun visor!

This is a known issue depending on build period.
There is a small slot in the back of the antenna that leads directly under the antenna, and ends up letting water drip right down as you had happen.

I threw some silicone caulk in there before I washed the truck for the first time, no issues here.

My only issue now is rain getting on the Inside of the glass when I put the window up after it rains, never seen that before on any other car...

Thought I saw this thread. Mine just started leaking today. Hard rain, snow and ice today in Iowa. Had this truck for a year and never been an issue until today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkfa4bd055069623ec57cc30e2757dd593.jpg

Edited by brown1william

I had this issue, but not to this degree. The bracket was dripping onto my hand while driving. Very concerning, but it has only happened once. When this happened i haven't drove for a couple days, The weather was rain/snow and I also park on a downward grade, so im sure that didn't help.

This is a known issue depending on build period.

There is a small slot in the back of the antenna that leads directly under the antenna, and ends up letting water drip right down as you had happen.

I threw some silicone caulk in there before I washed the truck for the first time, no issues here.

My only issue now is rain getting on the Inside of the glass when I put the window up after it rains, never seen that before on any other car...

You mean when you have your window down and the roll back up? That happens on all of my vehicles because the water gets on the window brush/guards that keep stuff out of the door.

You mean when you have your window down and the roll back up? That happens on all of my vehicles because the water gets on the window brush/guards that keep stuff out of the door.

Yes, there is water on the inside of the glass.

I've never had this before and I can't imagine its good for the electronics in the door, I don't know why the water would be getting past the plastic moisture barrier and of course the dealer can't replicate even though it happens everytime it rains or snows.

Yes, there is water on the inside of the glass.

I've never had this before and I can't imagine its good for the electronics in the door, I don't know why the water would be getting past the plastic moisture barrier and of course the dealer can't replicate even though it happens everytime it rains or snows.

On my vehicles it seems that it is just from the moisture barrier itself as it only shows when I roll my window down then back up. I don't believe moisture is getting inside the door, it is just being transferred to the window from the guards when the window rolls up through them.

Thought I saw this thread. Mine just started leaking today. Hard rain, snow and ice today in Iowa. Had this truck for a year and never been an issue until today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkfa4bd055069623ec57cc30e2757dd593.jpg

Here's a thought:

Assuming the door surround gasket is intact and properly glued - a driving rain on the drivers side can get under the gasket....usually seen as a leak on the floor rather than the headliner.

My Avys leaked like crazy from gaskets, door seals, windshield seals, wiper seals, bed tonneau cover, moonroof and even the body seam on the roof.......fine Silao workmanship!

Also

Have a moonroof?? Dark colored finish???? A leak similar to this would happen when rain/snow on roof with overnight freeze.

Damn Avys (2 out of 3) did this when parked slightly nose down in freezing weather/ overnight freeze with Sun on the roof the next day. Water would freeze in the lower end of the drain tube going down the "A" pillar and when the Sun hit the snow on the roof, the melted snow would get past the moonroof seal (the seals are NOT 100% watertight) then backup in the drain tube, overflow the 1/2" deep drain pan which surrounds the moonroof and send water spilling out over the lip of the pan, into the headliner, down the "A" pillar into the fusebox area behind the dash and then onto the driver's carpet filling up the wiring conduit.

Parking nose up seemed to help because the drain was on the side of the pan and it would hold more water before overflowing the front of the pan, hopefully until the bottom of the tube thawed out.

I have an odd off-shoot to this problem. I've never really had any water drip through the interior, but on Christmas day, my XM signal cut out and didn't return. I picked up a test antenna to confirm it was an antenna issue, not module, and sure enough -- boom. reception.

Ended up replacing the roof antenna on my own -- process isn't bad, as others have noted. Reception restored. Curious, I opened up the antenna itself by removing six small philips screws. Found moisture droplets on the inside of the fin housing, and the PCB and chips on the antenna board itself were completely waterlogged.

TL, DR: consider placing a bead of silicone around the small gaps between the rubber seal on the base and the fin body itself.

I have an odd off-shoot to this problem. I've never really had any water drip through the interior, but on Christmas day, my XM signal cut out and didn't return. I picked up a test antenna to confirm it was an antenna issue, not module, and sure enough -- boom. reception.

Ended up replacing the roof antenna on my own -- process isn't bad, as others have noted. Reception restored. Curious, I opened up the antenna itself by removing six small philips screws. Found moisture droplets on the inside of the fin housing, and the PCB and chips on the antenna board itself were completely waterlogged.

TL, DR: consider placing a bead of silicone around the small gaps between the rubber seal on the base and the fin body itself.

Basically the same exact problem I had but I used butyl tape instead. Post 126 see pics, http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/158522-water-leak-in-the-roof/page-9

I believe almost every antenna will experience this eventually if subject to the same environmental conditions

It's still been wet and heavy fog here so it's leaked again. What can I put on that hole on the sat antenna that will work while it's cold and wet? My truck won't fit in my garage so that's not an option. The rain water is staining the head liner and I need to stop it before it gets worse.

Just go to home depot and get some thin mil plastic; smallest cheapest roll available, in the painting section. And get some 3m blue painters tape. Cut out square and cover the whole antenna, and tape the ends. Blue painters tape won't hurt your paint. Or tape some seran wrap or something, or left over piece of vinyl anything to stop the leak temporarily.