Real life experiences towing w/ max tow 6.2

I need a little help. Has anyone towed a (light) 5th wheel using a 2015-2016 6.2 Max Tow. I would ask on the rv forum but all they say is you need a dually to tow a 15' bass boat ??. Need real world experience. I have spent hours looking at specs but is never the same as real world. Don't want a 3/4 t as most of my driving is without a rv. Not looking to tow a 35' rv but an advertised 1/2 ton towable. Such as a Grand Design 29 rs or such. Thanks in advance

• Like 1

I have a 2017 6.2 Max Tow crew cab, I had a 2014 5.3 SLE crew cab before. I towed a 24' completely finished on the inside racing trailer with my 2300lb race car inside. I don't know the exact weight but it was in the neighborhood of 7000-7500. I got a new 2017 6.2 max tow, after I bought the new truck I also bought a new trailer, a 28ft race trailer completely finished with tool boxes and everything. I would have to guess this one weights about 8000-8500. The new 6.2 Max tow is night and day better than my 2014, I use load leveling bars and it tows it fine. hope this helps and sorry for the long winded answer.

Edited by gjernagan16
  • Like 2

I was very interested in a 5th wheel for my 1/2 ton. The size of your engine is not the issue, as you know. I stopped looking after I saw a newer F150 with 1/2 ton towable attached. The truck looked very "stressed". The choices and advantages to a traditional trailer far outweigh those of a fifth for a 1/2 ton, imo. If I had a 3/4 ton then my choice would most definitely be a fifth wheel trailer!

I was very interested in a 5th wheel for my 1/2 ton. The size of your engine is not the issue, as you know. I stopped looking after I saw a newer F150 with 1/2 ton towable attached. The truck looked very "stressed". The choices and advantages to a traditional trailer far outweigh those of a fifth for a 1/2 ton, imo. If I had a 3/4 ton then my choice would most definitely be a fifth wheel trailer!

Fords squat really bad, even 250's & 350's I dunno why....

Obviously not a 5.3 or a 5th wheel but, I've had about 10k behind my 2016 1500, 3.42 w/ a good brake controller, the truck is rated for 9200# bumper pull, I wouldn't want to do it on the regular without air bags out back to help the truck stay kinda level..

I've often wondered, what would one have to to do get a 2500 gasser to pull 15-17mpg city and 20-21 hwy empty. Maybe air dams, different tires, a lowering kit? If you're always towing, 2500 is a no brainer but, for me there are 1-2 times a year I would like a HD truck but, I can't suffer the MPG penalty for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

I towed a 27' travel trailer, weighing around 6k pounds with a max tow 5.3L. Towed well.

Lots of EcoBoost guys tow some crazy weights and trailer sizes with their F150s.

Now all that said, you have to watch your weights. Payload being the most important. Match your payload with your pin weight, loaded gear and passengers and you should be OK. But also check your rear axle weight too. Doesn't take much to overload a max tow. Good luck.

I would ask on the rv forum but all they say is you need a dually to tow a 15' bass boat .

Yeah, those guys are a bit over the top with their opinions.... A few here pull gooseneck equipment trailers but I haven't seen much of 5th wheel camping trailers here. It's a shame more people don't look into it as they're so much easier and safer to pull than a bumper pull of similar size.

I've towed/hauled heavy enough with bumper pulls & payload with mine (not an NHT but with a few mods) I can tell you the truck will do what you're asking and do it well, especially with a couple simple mods (airbags, E-rated tires, better shocks, in that order of importance). I'd recommend going with a 6.5' box which should give you enough clearance with most trailers; a 5.5' box will need a sliding hitch/Reese Sidewinder, etc with most trailers.

If looking for lots of hands-on experience with 5th wheel camping trailers and 1/2 tons, I hate to say it but do some reading over at the F-150 and Ecoboost forums, there are a lot of guys with those trucks doing it (most with a lower payload rating than you'll have with the NHT).

I have a 2016 GMC SLT Max Tow with the 6.2 and I pull a jayco HT eagel 29ft it weights 9999lbs. I'm under all my weights but one, I'm over the cargo capacity by 150lbs. I don't travel all over its mostly parked at a park but I do tow it two or three times a year and it handles it great, barely sqwates the truck. I have upgraded the tires to an LT 8ply.

It pulls the fifth a lot nicer then my old 30 foot travel trailer and it was 7900lbs. I also pull a 5000lbs snowmobile trailer and you don't even know it's there.

• Thanks 1

I have a 2014 GMC 1500 SLT crew cab with the max tow package and 6.2 gas engine, and I've towed my bumper pull travel trailer almost 20,000 miles so far. My trailer weighs right at 9,800 lbs in travel trim according to the CAT scales. No issues at all, and I usually average about 9 MPG while towing at between 60 - 65 MPH. I know you're considering a 5th wheel, but I thought I'd share my experience.

I have a 2014 GMC 1500 SLT crew cab with the max tow package and 6.2 gas engine, and I've towed my bumper pull travel trailer almost 20,000 miles so far. My trailer weighs right at 9,800 lbs in travel trim according to the CAT scales. No issues at all, and I usually average about 9 MPG while towing at between 60 - 65 MPH. I know you're considering a 5th wheel, but I thought I'd share my experience.

Have a pic of it hooked up? Do you use weight distribution bars?

Edited by Krusty

Have a pic of it hooked up? Do you use weight distribution bars?

I use an Equalizer brand weight distribution hitch with built in anti sway rated at 12,000 lbs. I think this hitch is far better than the old type I used to use with a separate anti sway attachment.

I'll have to dig around and see if I have any pictures of my trailer hooked up. I think all or most of my pictures show the trailer unhooked at an RV park.