LED Under Rail bed Lights

Anyone have the "Cargo box LED lighting" - are they worth while for the light?

I see they got left off my build to order. Pulled up a You-Tube on installing them - crimany they come with a 8 foot pigtails.

Maybe I shouldn't even bother with them at this point.... Even dealer installed if they really are just for looks......

Oem kit has 2 leds on each side. 4 leds total. Plus the $80-130 price tag. Barely any light output. I got a kit from amazon for $19. Built my own harness and plug and have a ton of light. 4 pods on each side with 6 leds per pod. I just used the dummy plug that's already on the junction box.

0D01F813-4DF9-451C-A25B-D77C2283DB3D_zps

6ADE6939-CC7E-4FF0-B7B6-E7BB1DE26893_zps

EBEABEDC-90B8-464E-96B9-8D579C909C9F_zps

• Like 2

Oem kit has 2 leds on each side. 4 leds total. Plus the $80-130 price tag. Barely any light output. I got a kit from amazon for $19. Built my own harness and plug and have a ton of light. 4 pods on each side with 6 leds per pod. I just used the dummy plug that's already on the junction box.

Pretty pimpin' - If you could post up that Amazon link it would be much appreciated......

• Like 1

are they worth while for the light?

I have them (factory installed) and I honestly don't know if they have came in useful for me maybe twice in 2 years. And I have a tonneau cover.

neat feature, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get some if I didn't have them already.

if you frequently find yourself in the pitch dark, maybe. But if you are loading stuff into your truck every parking lot and street have lights on at night.

my Midnight Edition came with bed lights. I added a 36" led strip to the front of the box and splice it to one of the bed lights . LET there be light. works great at night ,with tonneau cover

• Like 1

Kits to install the OEM bed lights are available on Fleabay for around $125. I bought one but was disappointed with the amount of light they put out . I went one step further and also installed a McTuning bedrail light kit from Amazon for $30. These are a great bang for the buck, good quality and VERY bright.

here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JUE9OLM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got the OEM harness from GM parts outlet (#22878806) about $30, LED strip lights from amazon and some automotive 3M tape. Saved quite a bit over what GM wants with better lighting.

Harness is plug and play, there is a spot by your spare that it plugs into and is controlled by the switch in the cab. Just cut the plugs off the light end and splice your LEDs into them. The LEDs I bought have adhesive but it's not that good. I ran the 3M tape where I put the lights, along the top of the rails. I'll try to take a pic tonight at work if I can.

I plan on tapping into the cargo light circuit and adding a NC plunger type switch so when you open the tailgate, the lights come on. Similar to a door switch. Just need to not be lazy and get it done.

post-133514-0-99864600-1488953308_thumb.jpg

post-133514-0-86393300-1488953358_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015X4WNAM/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_post_o1_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a tonneau cover and I did the diode mod so my lights come on with my key fob at night. Very useful. It's pitch black in the bed at night with a tonneau.

can you give me information on your dirode mod ???? Please

My truck came with them. I have a tonneau and like the factory integration (OEM plug and dash switch) but the light output is pretty bad. I will probably just buy LED strips from Amazon or ebay, cut the existing harnesses to remove the OEM lights, then splice the strips in. That way I will get more light but keep the factory plug and switch.

I like the factory bed lights. had/have them in my 2014 and 2016. with the cargo lamp and the two led's, one on each side under the bed rail. it puts out a lot of light.

Edited by jimcost2014

Anyone have the "Cargo box LED lighting" - are they worth while for the light?

I see they got left off my build to order. Pulled up a You-Tube on installing them - crimany they come with a 8 foot pigtails.

Maybe I shouldn't even bother with them at this point.... Even dealer installed if they really are just for looks......

see if your salesman can get you a deal on the parts and installation. you can just roll it into the price of the truck when you sign papers as a work order.

It's a $60 option if you build the truck. If not, it's 135 at the dealer. Can be had on eBay for around $80 or so. The $20 option from amazon has a ton of light and is actually useable. It should be a no brainer.