17 Duramax oil

3 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

It's an old thread but to add to this.  GM is calling for 0w-20 dexos 2 diesel oil in the new Dmax coming to the 1500 Silverado and GMC.

More specifically its a new spec called DexosD. 

Dexos2 is the small diesels (2.0 Cruze, 1.6 Cruze/Terrain/Equinox, 2.8 Colorado/Canyon) and also Corvette/Camaro/CT6-V 2019+up with the LT1/LT4/LT5/LTA engines, 0w40 Mobil 1 ESP Formula (which is different than other Mobil 1 ESP). 

On 3/14/2019 at 11:49 AM, Black02Silverado said:

It's an old thread but to add to this.  GM is calling for 0w-20 dexos 2 diesel oil in the new Dmax coming to the 1500 Silverado and GMC.

They could call for it all they want. I would still use a 10w30 CK-4.  

And speaking of that, I now have 951,000 miles on a 2000 Detroit 60 reman that has been using 10w30 CK-4 since CK-4 showed up.  Still only uses about 1 qt to 10,000 - 11,000 miles  and still gets oil changed at about 22,500 miles on average.  Oil samples show very same wear levels as when it only had 50,000 miles on it.  

If I had any Dmax, including the 6.6, I would use a 10w30 CK-4 blend in it just like I am using now in my diesels.  All, and I repeat.. ALL.. of the heavy vehicle engine OEM's are factory filling with 10w30 and recommending it.  They have been doing so for over 3 years.  The Dmax has nothing on Mack, Cummins, Detroit, Paccar, etc.  I likely would never use a 15w40 in it.   A good 10w30 blend has far fewer viscosity modifiers in it compared to the average 15w40 and tends to hold viscosity quite well under severe conditions.  Less breakdown of VM.  

And Delvac Extreme 10w30 CK-4 is what I would put in if I wasn't using the Schaeffer 10w30 CK-4 I am now.  The Delvac Extreme 10w30 is a very strong product.

Edited by Cowpie

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, 6.5 said:

I have a 2019 6.6  Duramax  Is it ok to put full synthetic oil it. The factory oil is conventional and with it be covered under warranty if I do change over? 

Engine oils with the letters CJ-4 or CK-4 are required for your vehicle.
The CJ-4 or CK-4 designation can appear either alone or in combination
with other American Petroleum Institute (API) designations, such as
API CJ-4/SL. These letters show API levels of quality. 

There are full synthetic and semi-synthetic (blends) and 'conventional' diesel oils that meet the specs.

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, redwngr said:

Engine oils with the letters CJ-4 or CK-4 are required for your vehicle.
The CJ-4 or CK-4 designation can appear either alone or in combination
with other American Petroleum Institute (API) designations, such as
API CJ-4/SL. These letters show API levels of quality. 

There are full synthetic and semi-synthetic (blends) and 'conventional' diesel oils that meet the specs.

Follow this and you will be fine.  There are a bunch of options out there to choose from.

• Like 1