I keep the tires at around 55 front 50 back when empty on my 2500. Have a load pressure chart from the tire maker and adjust pressures based on loading on the pickup. Very same thing I do with my commercial trucks. Will never get 447, 000 miles out of my pickup tires like I do my commercial truck, but that lower pressure prevents a lot of wheel hop that goes on when running OEM recommended pressures and empty. Tires wear very well and even. The TPMS? I don't give a rip if it has a fit. I don't even notice the light anymore. It shows in the DIC when I start the pickup, but I like seeing what the pressures are anyway. I just dismiss it and go about my business.

I run the pressures the tire maker recommends based on the actual axle loading on the tires and ignore the TPMS. I have become very good at ignoring the light on my 2500. I only air up to the 60 front / 70 rear if I will be doing heavy work. I am not sure exactly at what pressure the TPMS will trip. The DIC warns me when I start the pickup. I just take a glance at the actual pressures to make sure a tire is not down and then dismiss the message and ignore the light. I am getting pretty good at ignoring the seat belt light also when I am out on the property and don't buckle up. Doesn't affect me to where I feel the need to try and get the settings changed to match what I am doing.

My MO as well.

I run my fronts at 50, rears at 55. The only time I had a warning was when I had a rear wheel off to have it re-balanced. The tech set the pressure to 55 and the TPMS light came on. I filled it to 60 and re-iniatilized the system as if I had just rotated the tires (I have the sync tool). Light went off. I then bled that tire to 55 and the light stayed off.

Another weird thing. My OnStar monitoring (online and thru the iPhone App) shows the "Low Tire Pressure" warning for all four tires. Nothing in the DIC though.

Your pickup must be different than mine. Mine weighs more in the front when empty than in the back, so that is why I run 55 front and 50 rear. I really don't pay attention to any light one way or the other. Just something that GM made me pay for that I really didn't want to begin with. It doesn't exist as far as I am concerned.

I had the truck in to finally get the correct mirrors installed and asked the service guy if it was possible to reset the TPMS alert level lower in case I want to run with lower pressures. He took that as an order I guess and when I picked the truck up all for tires were at 48-51psi (no two tires had the same pressure). He told me that the tech had "tried something they'd never done before, when we test drove we didn't get a check engine light or TPMS warning". Great, I'm a test pilot guinea pig!! It seems to be working okay, still no TPMS warning.

I did notice however that now when I check the myChevrolet app it shows the recommended pressure for all four tires as 50psi instead of front 60/rear 70.

Your pickup must be different than mine. Mine weighs more in the front when empty than in the back, so that is why I run 55 front and 50 rear. I really don't pay attention to any light one way or the other. Just something that GM made me pay for that I really didn't want to begin with. It doesn't exist as far as I am concerned.

I run the same in all four, I haul small loads often and have about 200#s of gear under the rear seat...so mine is 55 psi in all four, that seems to be the ideal psi for ride and tire wear. 50psi would be too low in the front for a crew cab.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I had the truck in to finally get the correct mirrors installed and asked the service guy if it was possible to reset the TPMS alert level lower in case I want to run with lower pressures. He took that as an order I guess and when I picked the truck up all for tires were at 48-51psi (no two tires had the same pressure). He told me that the tech had "tried something they'd never done before, when we test drove we didn't get a check engine light or TPMS warning". Great, I'm a test pilot guinea pig!! It seems to be working okay, still no TPMS warning.

I did notice however that now when I check the myChevrolet app it shows the recommended pressure for all four tires as 50psi instead of front 60/rear 70.

Sounds like they definitely changed the internal settings if the App is giving you a warning. Very cool.

• 2 years later...

I have a 2019 Trailboss and I’m having the Service TPMS WARNING ON THE DIC THEN THE LOW PRESSURE TIRE LIGHT FLASHES AND THEN STAYS ON STEADY ON THE DIC IT SHOWS THAT MY REAR TIRE IS NOT READING SO THE DEALERSHIP REPLACED SO THEY SAID COUPLE HUNDRED MILES GOOD NO PROBLEMS THEN IT HAPPENED AGAIN THIS TIME PASS REAR NO READING OF PRESSURE SAME AS BEFORE THEN AGAIN FOR REAR DRIVER THE ONE THEY SAID THEY REPLACED ? I’m getting doubts that that both sensors are bad and especially since one was replaced will be heading back to dealer . Wondering if anyone else has experienced this ? 

On 10/11/2019 at 2:27 AM, Last Spartan said:

I have a 2019 Trailboss and I’m having the Service TPMS WARNING ON THE DIC THEN THE LOW PRESSURE TIRE LIGHT FLASHES AND THEN STAYS ON STEADY ON THE DIC IT SHOWS THAT MY REAR TIRE IS NOT READING SO THE DEALERSHIP REPLACED SO THEY SAID COUPLE HUNDRED MILES GOOD NO PROBLEMS THEN IT HAPPENED AGAIN THIS TIME PASS REAR NO READING OF PRESSURE SAME AS BEFORE THEN AGAIN FOR REAR DRIVER THE ONE THEY SAID THEY REPLACED ? I’m getting doubts that that both sensors are bad and especially since one was replaced will be heading back to dealer . Wondering if anyone else has experienced this ? 

This just happened to me today, i haven't done anything with it yet, im at work.

After work i may just try to "relearn" the TPMS system to see if that takes care of the problem.

Well, tire pressures can help the ride somewhat, and I did drop my tire pressures when empty, but what really did it for my was dropping the back with a set of 2" McGaughy's drop shackles to take out the "cat in heat" rake, putting on a set of 1500# urethane foam SumoSprings in place of the stock bump stops (the Sumo's rest right on the axles when truck is empty), and replacing the awful Rancho shocks with a set of Bilstein 4600's.  Now this is a 3/4 ton I can truly enjoy.  And I can throw a ton of stuff in the back and the pickup doesn't squat a bit even with the 2" drop shackles.

Edited by Cowpie