What's your oil consumption?

You got it Mookdoc6. I did opt for the TBN which was was an extra $10 IIR. I'm not interested in long oil change intervals. I've run my truck down to 2 or 3%. I'm telling you, my engine runs so much better on fresh oil. I"m looking at 6K intervals or running it down to 25%.

Thanks, gentlemen! This will help very much. I drive 30K a year so It's imperative that I can confidently go 10K OCI's Now that I have some real world evidence with your UOA's

Edited by mookdoc6

Thanks, gentlemen! This will help very much. I drive 30K a year so It's imperative that I can confidently go 10K OCI's Now that I have some real world evidence with your UOA's

that extra $50 or $60 you are saving each year in one less oil change will really make a huge difference. (that was sarcasm)

• Like 1

coming up on 87,000 miles. my truck never consumed oil up until about 2 oil changes ago. i have not been monitoring consumption rate, but i will start as i just changed oil a week ago. I am guessing it is consuming about 1 to 1.25 quarts every 7500 miles now. not real excited about this.

i also have continued to add 8.5 qts every oil change. i have tried just 8.0 qts on a couple of occasions and i always have to add that extra 0.5 qt to get it to the top of the hash marks.

• Like 1

that extra $50 or $60 you are saving each year in one less oil change will really make a huge difference. (that was sarcasm)

I hear what your saying but the costs due need to be taken seriously.....If I go 10K up to 200k before selling truck I will have spent1700.00 on oil changes which cost me 85.00 for everything oil/filter/air filter etc. and my time of course.....Now that becomes 3400.00 for every 5K changes? Also, Tires going 50-60K instead of 40k makes you spend another 800.00 when selling at 200k etc. It all adds up and cheap insurance is just an excuse to spend money on something that will not meaningfully matter at 200k in my opinion. Same with applying brakes like a 20yr old of 45yr old.....The only thing I really care about after 200k is what came out of my pocket to keep the ship floating.

• Like 1

You change your air filter every oil change? So let me see if i understand, you want to extend your oci, but change your air filter 3 times more often than what the service interval calls for and you want to save money?

I hear what your saying but the costs due need to be taken seriously.....If I go 10K up to 200k before selling truck I will have spent1700.00 on oil changes which cost me 85.00 for everything oil/filter/air filter etc. and my time of course.....Now that becomes 3400.00 for every 5K changes? Also, Tires going 50-60K instead of 40k makes you spend another 800.00 when selling at 200k etc. It all adds up and cheap insurance is just an excuse to spend money on something that will not meaningfully matter at 200k in my opinion. Same with applying brakes like a 20yr old of 45yr old.....The only thing I really care about after 200k is what came out of my pocket to keep the ship floating.

You change your air filter every oil change? So let me see if i understand, you want to extend your oci, but change your air filter 3 times more often than what the service interval calls for and you want to save money?

Yes, you see Steve down here in Phoenix the DUST is horrendous so you failed to account for location? Also, It seems you failed to account for the 118 degree days? And once again you failed to account for the fact of truck being used in and around construction sites daily......you guessed it ingesting copious amounts of DUST/DIRT all day long thanks to the water trucks who by law have to keep the dust down in Maricopa County construction sites which I am sure you knew about that too! Or the operators who don't give a crap about anybody on or in their way on construction site who's job is to basically make DIRT FLY IN THE VALLEY?

After decades of construction service in this dusty environment I have found it completely necessary to change my Air filter every 10K hopefully you took into account all this because I do change the Air filter every Oil Change and do extend the interval out because I do want to SAVE MONEY......Would you like me to send the air filter after 10K to Colorado I will even pay the postage because I am sure you would wonder why anybody would still be using a filter in that shape anyway, right? I mean the engine is not getting the correct Air/fuel mixture? It's working harder than it should be, more emissions, less miles which would not be good because I am going for miles, right? That would be counterproductive to the extended oil service.....But you know all this........

Edited by mookdoc6

Beleive it or not Mook, Colorado Springs is also a desert, so before you try to patronize, do some research. My air filters do fine to 20K, ot clogged with dirt; especially doing 50 mile round trips to work every day behind dump trucks, cement trucks, dodging tumble weeds through the eastern plains which also contain many farms, construction sites that go along with our booming housing industry, so your situation isnt so unique. So if dust is such an issue for you that you would need to change your air filter every oci, why would you try to extend your oci out to 10K? It sure doesn't make much sense.

Yes, you see Steve down here in Phoenix the DUST is horrendous so you failed to account for location? Also, It seems you failed to account for the 118 degree days? And once again you failed to account for the fact of truck being used in and around construction sites daily......you guessed it ingesting copious amounts of DUST/DIRT all day long thanks to the water trucks who by law have to keep the dust down in Maricopa County construction sites which I am sure you knew about that too! Or the operators who don't give a crap about anybody on or in their way on construction site who's job is to basically make DIRT FLY IN THE VALLEY?

After decades of construction service in this dusty environment I have found it completely necessary to change my Air filter every 10K hopefully you took into account all this because I do change the Air filter every Oil Change and do extend the interval out because I do want to SAVE MONEY......Would you like me to send the air filter after 10K to Colorado I will even pay the postage because I am sure you would wonder why anybody would still be using a filter in that shape anyway, right? I mean the engine is not getting the correct Air/fuel mixture? It's working harder than it should be, more emissions, less miles which would not be good because I am going for miles, right? That would be counterproductive to the extended oil service.....But you know all this........

Edited by Silverado Steve

Beleive it or not Mook, Colorado Springs is also a desert, so before you try to patronize, do some research. My air filters do fine to 20K, ot clogged with dirt; especially doing 50 mile round trips to work every day behind dump trucks, cement trucks, dodging tumble weeds through the eastern plains which also contain many farms, construction sites that go along with our booming housing industry, so your situation isnt so unique. So if dust is such an issue for you that you would need to change your air filter every oci, why would you try to extend your oci out to 10K? It sure doesn't make much sense.

I don't go on forums to patronize anyone....some people do it seems? Once again you have failed to realize that driving by and driving to construction sites are vastly different. Apparently your situation is very similar in nature to mine? Your not parked next to a Track Hoe Steve, while doing your paperwork or eating your lunch, unlatching your hood to let the hot air escape and keep the A/C somewhat cool....I would have no idea what the recommended engine Air filter interval is for my truck or would I care because it needs to go every 10K......Also, here is food for thought! I have been to Colorado springs too not exactly the same environment but in your world I bet it's the exact same as Gila Bend in the middle of August when the Haboob is scratching the shit out of your truck, right?

I have failed in what Mook? You don't know what i do for a living or my daily driving patterns. At the end of the day you can talk out one side of your mouth and debate with others that you are saving money by going to a 10K oci. Then you can talk out of the other side of your mouth and say you need to change your air filter every 10K because you live in a desert with dusty conditions and that you work on a farm and spend every day inhaling sand at construction sites...whatever. You can even go a step further trying to argue and try to prove that your desert is more dusty then my desert, when really all you have demonstrated is that you opinion is just silly. If your conditions are as extreme as you say and you are trying to make it to 200K, you wouldnt be debating on the $65 it costs to change your oil every 7500 miles GM recommends....carry on with your silly rationale.

I don't go on forums to patronize anyone....some people do it seems? Once again you have failed to realize that driving by and driving to construction sites are vastly different. Apparently your situation is very similar in nature to mine? Your not parked next to a Track Hoe Steve, while doing your paperwork or eating your lunch, unlatching your hood to let the hot air escape and keep the A/C somewhat cool....I would have no idea what the recommended engine Air filter interval is for my truck or would I care because it needs to go every 10K......Also, here is food for thought! I have been to Colorado springs too not exactly the same environment but in your world I bet it's the exact same as Gila Bend in the middle of August when the Haboob is scratching the shit out of your truck, right?

I'm still amazed at $85 for oil and filters...I picked up 8 quarts and an oil filter for $45 at the dealer, so I highly doubt they'd charge $40 for an air filter... if dust is such a problem that the air filter needs changing at 10k miles, then that dust is also in the oil too, which would require MORE frequent oil changes. Few free to check the owner's manual or literally a hundred years on the effect of harsh conditions on engine oil for clarification.

As per oil consumption, check that PCV system...clogged filters, broken diaphragms, clogged lines can and do lead to engines consuming oil through the intake system, rather than past the rings or valve guides. Though Chevies have historically blown oil past the valve guides...

• Like 2

Steve,

I am sure your spouse just enjoys you to the hills........The only one debating anything is yourself and your delusions? Really, I am not the only one who has somehow had issues with you on here?

As for the other poster: Wal-Mart Mobil 1 Extended 15,000 0W-20 is 25.47 x2 and Royal Purple filter 14.99 x1 and the 8755 paper engine air filter 12.47 and AZ tax 10% WOW puts me at 86.00

If I lived in Colorado Springs and just drove to and from work like STEVE I would go even longer on the oil and probably toss filter @ 15,000k The only one making anything silly out of this is once again you STEVE?

IMO 1 qt per oil change is not normal, Sorry Mr. GM person.

If you are useing a qt per oil change I would change brands of oil! I had a car once that went from 2qts per change to zero simply by changing brands of oil! The more expensive brands are worth it! IMO

Edited by Likarok

Mook,

If you don't come off as stupid, you sure are silly and entertaining as hell. Anyone with a sense of mechanical inclination understands more extreme conditions warrants more frequent oil changes, it even clearly says so in the OM....Stay off the bottle amigo.

Steve,

I am sure your spouse just enjoys you to the hills........The only one debating anything is yourself and your delusions? Really, I am not the only one who has somehow had issues with you on here?

As for the other poster: Wal-Mart Mobil 1 Extended 15,000 0W-20 is 25.47 x2 and Royal Purple filter 14.99 x1 and the 8755 paper engine air filter 12.47 and AZ tax 10% WOW puts me at 86.00

If I lived in Colorado Springs and just drove to and from work like STEVE I would go even longer on the oil and probably toss filter @ 15,000k The only one making anything silly out of this is once again you STEVE?

So if you're going to pay more at Walmart than the dealer don't complain about the cost. Go to the dealer and pay almost half that. It doesn't take a genius to know that particulate is your limiting factor on oil life, not breakdown of that oil, so why splurge on 15k mile oil? That isn't some lie made up by GM, that is basic cause-effect. The more particulates in the oil, the more soot and coking of the intake valves. Simple, really.

Do as you wish but don't complain about your truck not lasting nearly as long as you'd planned.